Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TheSpanishMain

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:46 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
usn26 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Finally commissioned today! Signed a bunch of paperwork, swore in, and height and weight was taken again.

Congrats Ensign!

Did you do anything special for the ceremony/celebration?

Thanks! No nothing special, just a copy of everything. Although, I was sworn in at a different recruiting station then I was assigned because I'm out of town. There was some mention of getting a displayable certificate, something nice to hang on the wall that states you are a commissioned officer in the Navy. I was told that the certificate might have been sent to the recruiting station I was assigned to. Not sure.

Well, you should have the actual commission. A commission is a physical (and fancy) piece of paper, and a lot of people frame and hang that.

Also, maybe you didn't get the phone interview because you already had a clearance through the Marines? Just a thought.

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:43 pm

To join the parade, I was commissioned last Friday =) Some people had questioned whether or not a retired officer could commission you, but my grandfather – a retired Naval Officer and aviator – read me my oath of office. It was a very special ceremony, and I felt so honored by him. Can’t wait to see some of you next year at ODS/NJS!

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:01 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Anyone know how long after the application closes the Board meets?

It's usually a toss-up, but some posters on the main Military Law thread have been pretty good at saying when the board met (I think NavyJag1). I think it's usually a couple months after the application deadline.

JEB

Postby JEB » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:06 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JEB wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Finally commissioned today! Signed a bunch of paperwork, swore in, and height and weight was taken again.

Congratulations, Ensign!

By the way, I talked to the LCDR at JAG Accessions this morning on the phone and she confirmed that we can and should go ahead and get our Reserve IDs.

Thanks! And I tried to get an ID this morning and it was a no go. They told me that Navy headquarters "doesn't have me in the system yet" and until they do I can't be issued an ID and neither can my wife. Anyone have this experience? Or were you successful in getting an ID?

I was unsuccessful this morning, but I called my NRD contact and I'll wait until I hear from them about making sure I'm in DEERS. According to JAG Accessions, I should already be in the system. (Especially since I commissioned 3.5 months ago)

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:43 pm

JEB wrote:
I was unsuccessful this morning, but I called my NRD contact and I'll wait until I hear from them about making sure I'm in DEERS. According to JAG Accessions, I should already be in the system. (Especially since I commissioned 3.5 months ago)

NRD contact? What is NRD and are they the ones who are supposed to be putting people "in the system"? Seems crazy that you've been in for over three months and you still can't get one. At this point I ha e no idea who to contact,

JEB

Postby JEB » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:13 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JEB wrote:

NRD contact? What is NRD and are they the ones who are supposed to be putting people "in the system"? Seems crazy that you've been in for over three months and you still can't get one. At this point I ha e no idea who to contact,

Naval Recruiting District. Really, I called the officer who signed the documents with me on the day of my commissioning, who gave me the name and phone number of the person at the Recruiting District Office who was the one who processed my stuff. I left him a voicemail this morning, but haven't heard back yet.

I also called JAG Accessions back and they said they'd look into it and to call back next week.

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:23 pm

JEB wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
JEB wrote:

Naval Recruiting District. Really, I called the officer who signed the documents with me on the day of my commissioning, who gave me the name and phone number of the person at the Recruiting District Office who was the one who processed my stuff. I left him a voicemail this morning, but haven't heard back yet.

I also called JAG Accessions back and they said they'd look into it and to call back next week.

You guys want to go to Rice King that badly? =)

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:41 pm

ShockTop wrote:

Rice king? lol

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:27 pm

Gurus, how did you handle the picture requirement? Just upload a JPEG? Or did you actually scan it? (requirements say it should be 4x6 or 5x7, not sure how to do that with a jpg where it's all pixels) Do you think the size thing is actually a stringent requirement?

JEB

Postby JEB » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:29 pm

ShockTop wrote:

My big thing was that where I am currently the local ID Card Office is about 15 minutes away and no hassle at all to get to. Once I'm back at school, the nearest office is at least half an hour away without traffic. Also, I'm not positive yet what my schedule will be pre- and post-bar exam next summer as far as ability to get to an ID Card Office, so I figured getting it now would mean not having to do it then to have it before ODS.

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:46 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Gurus, how did you handle the picture requirement? Just upload a JPEG? Or did you actually scan it? (requirements say it should be 4x6 or 5x7, not sure how to do that with a jpg where it's all pixels) Do you think the size thing is actually a stringent requirement?

I have a Mac and the picture program I used had the ability to resize in inches, and then I PDF'ed the picture. I know of others who just did an inches-to-pixels conversion online to figure out the correct size. I think it's 480x672.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Don't worry too much about the pic size. Obviously don't submit a thumbnail, but even if it is slightly off it will be resized ahead of presenting to the board.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:24 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Gurus, how did you handle the picture requirement? Just upload a JPEG? Or did you actually scan it? (requirements say it should be 4x6 or 5x7, not sure how to do that with a jpg where it's all pixels) Do you think the size thing is actually a stringent requirement?

I went to the photographer and ordered the size that they wanted, then I scanned it. Seemed to work out I guess.

seanmalexander

Postby seanmalexander » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Signed my DA commission as a LTJG today. I do not have orders in hand, but believe that I'll be going to the ODS in just over 2 weeks based on conversations with the detailer.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:52 pm

Does anyone have any insight into where the more military justice-heavy duty stations are or will RLSOs generally give you a lot of exposure to that?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:15 pm

seanmalexander wrote:Signed my DA commission as a LTJG today. I do not have orders in hand, but believe that I'll be going to the ODS in just over 2 weeks based on conversations with the detailer.

Congrats! Do you know your duty station yet?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:25 pm

los blancos wrote:Does anyone have any insight into where the more military justice-heavy duty stations are or will RLSOs generally give you a lot of exposure to that?

You will be going to a RLSO for your first duty station. At your first duty station you will rotate through our 4 main practice areas - Legal Assistance, Command Advice, Prosecution and Defense. You will spend 6 months in each. With very limited exceptions, you will not appear in court for trial. You may get a chance to participate in an Article 32 or perhaps 2nd chair a guilty plea as a prosecutor. Your best bet for more experience is to go to one of the bigger RLSOs, Midlant, Jacksonville or San Diego.

seanmalexander

Postby seanmalexander » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:37 pm

los blancos wrote:
seanmalexander wrote:Signed my DA commission as a LTJG today. I do not have orders in hand, but believe that I'll be going to the ODS in just over 2 weeks based on conversations with the detailer.

Bremerton, WA. It was 3rd on my list.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:49 am

seanmalexander wrote:
los blancos wrote:

What were the other two on your list?

seanmalexander

Postby seanmalexander » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:34 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
seanmalexander wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Pearl Harbor and Naples...because why not, right? For those of us graduating NJS in December, I was told that those had filled up long ago.

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:39 pm

I've gotten mixed answers about this, maybe because there's a difference in this case between SP and DA.

I'm DA, commissioned on August 10. I think being DA means I was commissioned into AD with no vague IRR/inactive status questions. Will my first check date back to August 10?

The only other date on my commdocs is the date it says I entered my permanent grade of O-2 (a year before my ODS start date, presumably because I become O-3 after a year so they have to backdate it a year for the 2 year promotion to be properly timed).

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:51 am

Anyone have any luck getting an ID yet?

seanmalexander

Postby seanmalexander » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Navy2015 wrote:I've gotten mixed answers about this, maybe because there's a difference in this case between SP and DA.

I'm DA, commissioned on August 10. I think being DA means I was commissioned into AD with no vague IRR/inactive status questions. Will my first check date back to August 10?

The only other date on my commdocs is the date it says I entered my permanent grade of O-2 (a year before my ODS start date, presumably because I become O-3 after a year so they have to backdate it a year for the 2 year promotion to be properly timed).

My understanding is that pay (and actual, active duty status) will commence on the first day of ODS, despite commissioning on a different date as a DA. My commission itself actually says the first day of my commission is the first day of ODS.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:12 pm

seanmalexander wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:I've gotten mixed answers about this, maybe because there's a difference in this case between SP and DA.

My understanding is that pay (and actual, active duty status) will commence on the first day of ODS, despite commissioning on a different date as a DA. My commission itself actually says the first day of my commission is the first day of ODS.

Weird.. My commission has the day I went to MEPS. For SP not DA though.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:23 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:
los blancos wrote:Does anyone have any insight into where the more military justice-heavy duty stations are or will RLSOs generally give you a lot of exposure to that?

You will be going to a RLSO for your first duty station. At your first duty station you will rotate through our 4 main practice areas - Legal Assistance, Command Advice, Prosecution and Defense. You will spend 6 months in each. With very limited exceptions, you will not appear in court for trial. You may get a chance to participate in an Article 32 or perhaps 2nd chair a guilty plea as a prosecutor. Your best bet for more experience is to go to one of the bigger RLSOs, Midlant, Jacksonville or San Diego.

Thanks! After that initial two-year period, how much say does one have in what area they specialize? If trial experience is the goal, seems like there are better branches than Navy?

seanmalexander wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
seanmalexander wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Pearl Harbor and Naples...because why not, right? For those of us graduating NJS in December, I was told that those had filled up long ago.

Thanks for sharing that info. Very interesting.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”