Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
S. Goodman

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:43 am

NavyJAG1 wrote:A NOSC is a Navy Operational Support Center. They exist to provide support for drilling reservists. They can likely issue you the green card because it is simpler than the full fledged CaC. Once you go on active duty you will go to your base PSD (Personnel Support Detachment) for CAC related issues. Incidentally, it was a NOSC in Chatanooga where the shooter killed 4 Marines and a Sailor. You may want to call ahead for access requirements.

Edit: In the Navy, in my experience, when you refer to DEERS you are generally talking about the system of records, not a physical location with any people assigned to it.

Thanks for the information. I will contact both and see who can help me.

FrogLaw

Postby FrogLaw » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:10 am

An update from a SP Spring 2015 person, I commissioned yesterday. Had no idea it was going to happen until I got an email late Monday afternoon. Good luck to those still trudging through the process!

lumberjack12

Postby lumberjack12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:30 pm

FrogLaw wrote:An update from a SP Spring 2015 person, I commissioned yesterday. Had no idea it was going to happen until I got an email late Monday afternoon. Good luck to those still trudging through the process!

FrogLaw, what was your timeline getting your commission?

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:15 pm

FrogLaw wrote:An update from a SP Spring 2015 person, I commissioned yesterday. Had no idea it was going to happen until I got an email late Monday afternoon. Good luck to those still trudging through the process!

Congrats Ensign! 3 months looks to be about par from PR to Commission.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Anyone know how long after the application closes the Board meets?

FrogLaw

Postby FrogLaw » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:52 pm

lumberjack12 wrote:

Well, we found out about the selection in early May, and then I went to MEPS in early June, had my security interview July 2, and got the call about commissioning this Monday.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:06 pm

FrogLaw wrote:
lumberjack12 wrote:

Well, we found out about the selection in early May, and then I went to MEPS in early June, had my security interview July 2, and got the call about commissioning this Monday.

Security interview? Can you elaborate? I'm getting commissioned Monday and haven't heard anything about that.

FrogLaw

Postby FrogLaw » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:22 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
FrogLaw wrote:
lumberjack12 wrote:

Security interview? Can you elaborate? I'm getting commissioned Monday and haven't heard anything about that.

It was an almost three hour meeting going over all the security questions we filled out. It was brutal. It was weird because me recruited never gave me a heads up about it, just got a call directly from a DoD person. So it worried me that maybe there had been some problem. I asked if it meant something was wrong and they said no, that this was standard. My recruiter told me the same thing when I asked him about it. Asked some JAGs I they told me it was nothing to be concerned about. So who knows, maybe only some people have to do it? Obviously nothing came out of it though since I commissioned.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:49 pm

FrogLaw wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

It was an almost three hour meeting going over all the security questions we filled out. It was brutal. It was weird because me recruited never gave me a heads up about it, just got a call directly from a DoD person. So it worried me that maybe there had been some problem. I asked if it meant something was wrong and they said no, that this was standard. My recruiter told me the same thing when I asked him about it. Asked some JAGs I they told me it was nothing to be concerned about. So who knows, maybe only some people have to do it? Obviously nothing came out of it though since I commissioned.

Oh alright good to go. I had a security clearance when I was in the Marines in 2012. I had wondered if this would make my process any different and hearing what they did to you lets me know that it was. My recruiter couldn't answer with certainty regarding that, seems like the security process is completely out of their hands.

JEB

Postby JEB » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:58 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
FrogLaw wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Oh alright good to go. I had a security clearance when I was in the Marines in 2012. I had wondered if this would make my process any different and hearing what they did to you lets me know that it was. My recruiter couldn't answer with certainty regarding that, seems like the security process is completely out of their hands.

I never had a security interview either, and I have never had a security clearance before. The closest I come to that is a public trust background check to work at a USAO my 1L summer. I think part of it may be that they aren't that far along in our process yet, Goodman. My understanding is that as soon as your security clearance review is in a "favorable status," they clear you to commission. Also, "favorable status" includes "Scheduled, Open, etc."

So for those of us who are SP commissions and aren't going on AD right away, they may put those on the backburner.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:12 pm

JEB wrote:
I never had a security interview either, and I have never had a security clearance before. The closest I come to that is a public trust background check to work at a USAO my 1L summer. I think part of it may be that they aren't that far along in our process yet, Goodman. My understanding is that as soon as your security clearance review is in a "favorable status," they clear you to commission. Also, "favorable status" includes "Scheduled, Open, etc."

So for those of us who are SP commissions and aren't going on AD right away, they may put those on the backburner.

Oh alright, but weren't you commissioned awhile ago? Maybe the phone screening/grilling is random? Doesn't really matter either way, I was just wondering . . .

Dani2920

Postby Dani2920 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:07 am

Hope everyone is doing well, and for us recent graduates, I hope the bar exam was manageable (that MBE though, whew!)

I just received my orders for the 23 August ODS. Included with the orders was an ODS "info" sheet that had a blurb about ID cards and I remember someone having questions about them. According to the info sheet, "As an officer in the inactive reserves, you are entitled to the green reserve identification card. To the extent possible, try to obtain an ID card for yourself and your dependent(s) before reporting to Newport for training. Log on to www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl to locate an identification issuing facility near you. Many sites recommend calling for days and hours of operation and whether or not pre-verification is required."

This may or may not have already been shared but I'm still in the fog of bar prep so I'm passing it along just in case!

zize

Postby zize » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:59 am

Have you ever experimented with, used, or possessed any illegal drug or narcotic?

I asked this question in Military Law, but I figured it would get more attention here. Did anyone here disclose and get PR'd? I know honesty is the best policy, but I have heard that sometimes in the military it is best not to disclose.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:01 pm

zize wrote:
Have you ever experimented with, used, or possessed any illegal drug or narcotic?

I asked this question in Military Law, but I figured it would get more attention here. Did anyone here disclose and get PR'd? I know honesty is the best policy, but I have heard that sometimes in the military it is best not to disclose.

Lying to the military/government is just as bad as lying to anyone/anything else. With that being said, if you disclose illicit drug use you probably are not going to be accepted.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:06 pm

Finally commissioned today! Signed a bunch of paperwork, swore in, and height and weight was taken again.

My timeline was approximately as follows:

PR'd early May, I think May 1st (Spring Board 2015)
Assigned recruiter approximately 30 days later
Went to MEPs on July 7th.
Received N3M Letter on July 10th
Commissioned August 3rd, 2015

usn26

Postby usn26 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:50 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
zize wrote:

Lying to the military/government is just as bad as lying to anyone/anything else. With that being said, if you disclose illicit drug use you probably are not going to be accepted.

Don't lie. Bad idea jeans.

Yes, there are times in the military when it's best not to disclose. This is not one of those times. Think more ambiguous, like, "I was having chest pain in middle school so I went to the doctor and he suspected a heart palpitation but they never finished the tests and I've been problem free for 12 years while running 6 marathons." Could you check the box for heart problems on a medical screening form? Yes. Should you? Probably not. When asked explicitly about prior drug use, though, you are obliged to disclose that. Be honest, live with the consequences.

There's some gouge on drug waivers on AirWarriors, although idk how applicable it'd be for JAG. Generally, IIRC, prospective line officers have been accepted with prior drug use that was neither excessive (≥5x) nor recent (say, within the past 3-5 years or post-college).

usn26

Postby usn26 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:52 pm

S. Goodman wrote:Finally commissioned today! Signed a bunch of paperwork, swore in, and height and weight was taken again.

Congrats Ensign!

Did you do anything special for the ceremony/celebration?

ripit

Postby ripit » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Anyone know if a past conviction for DUI is an automatic showstopper for Navy Jag applicants?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:44 pm

usn26 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Finally commissioned today! Signed a bunch of paperwork, swore in, and height and weight was taken again.

Congrats Ensign!

Did you do anything special for the ceremony/celebration?

Thanks! No nothing special, just a copy of everything. Although, I was sworn in at a different recruiting station then I was assigned because I'm out of town. There was some mention of getting a displayable certificate, something nice to hang on the wall that states you are a commissioned officer in the Navy. I was told that the certificate might have been sent to the recruiting station I was assigned to. Not sure.

JEB

Postby JEB » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:37 am

Congratulations, Ensign!

By the way, I talked to the LCDR at JAG Accessions this morning on the phone and she confirmed that we can and should go ahead and get our Reserve IDs.

MajorKong

Postby MajorKong » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:54 am

Quick question for the prior service folks on his board. I am putting the final touches on my student program application for this fall and noticed that I seem to have lost two of my last five NCO evaluations that the application requires. I attempted to pull them from the web using the OMPF records portal but they apparently were never uploaded. Any ideas how or if this might affect my application? Thanks in advance.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:59 am

MajorKong wrote:Quick question for the prior service folks on his board. I am putting the final touches on my student program application for this fall and noticed that I seem to have lost two of my last five NCO evaluations that the application requires. I attempted to pull them from the web using the OMPF records portal but they apparently were never uploaded. Any ideas how or if this might affect my application? Thanks in advance.

I'm also on my first application, but if you've tried to do what you can to track them down (maybe emailing your old S1 shop or rater?) then you just gotta roll with it and put a note in the remarks section. I doubt it'll make or break you. It's the military. Paperwork gets lost. If you've done your due diligence to track it down, that's all you can do.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:09 am

JEB wrote:

Congratulations, Ensign!

By the way, I talked to the LCDR at JAG Accessions this morning on the phone and she confirmed that we can and should go ahead and get our Reserve IDs.

Thanks! And I tried to get an ID this morning and it was a no go. They told me that Navy headquarters "doesn't have me in the system yet" and until they do I can't be issued an ID and neither can my wife. Anyone have this experience? Or were you successful in getting an ID?

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:31 am

ripit wrote:Anyone know if a past conviction for DUI is an automatic showstopper for Navy Jag applicants?

Your best bet is to talk to a recruiter about it. It likely depends on the circumstances, how long ago it was, etc., but it certainly does not look good. A recruiter should be able to answer any specific questions you may have because they have likely encountered similar cases with applicants in the past. My recruiter has been an invaluable source of information.

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:47 am

For whoever asked the drug use question, please consider the fact that if you get PR'ed, OPM will be doing a background check on you. They will literally send OPM agents out to question family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc., and if they discover anything that you did not put in your SF86 (including drug use), it will be horrendous for your application and have possible legal consequences.

Echoing the other posters above, your best bet is to talk to always disclose and to talk to a recruiter about it if you have questions or concerns.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”