Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NavyJag15

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby NavyJag15 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. First off, I wanted to thank all of you for the information you've been putting up. It's kept me sane knowing where others are at in the process.

I'm in the Spring 2015 pro-rec crew and at long last commissioned yesterday. I commissioned out of NRD Minneapolis, and was told I'm the first to cross the finish line here. It was pretty great to finally raise my hand and sign the (large) pile of paperwork.

I was a 3L student program accession, and will be taking the bar on Tuesday (yikes!). My bar results are supposed to be out right at, or just after the October 8th cut-off. Has anyone in a similar situation received word on when they can expect to head off to ODS or NJS? I should say I'm taking the Minnesota bar.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:41 pm

NavyJag15 wrote:Longtime lurker, first-time poster. First off, I wanted to thank all of you for the information you've been putting up. It's kept me sane knowing where others are at in the process.

I'm in the Spring 2015 pro-rec crew and at long last commissioned yesterday. I commissioned out of NRD Minneapolis, and was told I'm the first to cross the finish line here. It was pretty great to finally raise my hand and sign the (large) pile of paperwork.

I was a 3L student program accession, and will be taking the bar on Tuesday (yikes!). My bar results are supposed to be out right at, or just after the October 8th cut-off. Has anyone in a similar situation received word on when they can expect to head off to ODS or NJS? I should say I'm taking the Minnesota bar.

First, congrats Ensign.

Second, I'm in the same boat as you. All the best on the Bar. Freedom on Thursday.

Third, I contacted JAGC Accessions and was told I was a tentatively in the Oct class; my bar results are released in November typically

Your date sounds like you're gonna be in the Aug class. I guess you'll find out real soon.

(and w00t. this is my 100th post on TLS)

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:58 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
zot1 wrote:Motion to move to Legal Employment forum.

I'd like to second that motion . . .

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:04 pm

NavyJag15 wrote:Longtime lurker, first-time poster. First off, I wanted to thank all of you for the information you've been putting up. It's kept me sane knowing where others are at in the process.

Congrats on the commission! And its Tuesday so you're taking the Bar as I write this, it is too late to say good luck but let us know how it went!

Also, I think you will be in the first group to go to ODS and NJS since this thread was created. Can you keep us all up to date (kind of like a blog) as you go through ODS and NJS? Like what you are doing, first impressions, tips, requirements, difficulty, etc. etc. I think you could share some terrific insight!

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:15 pm

S. Goodman wrote:

Congrats on the commission! And its Tuesday so you're taking the Bar as I write this, it is too late to say good luck but let us know how it went!

Also, I think you will be in the first group to go to ODS and NJS since this thread was created. Can you keep us all up to date (kind of like a blog) as you go through ODS and NJS? Like what you are doing, first impressions, tips, requirements, difficulty, etc. etc. I think you could share some terrific insight!

Second that.. Good luck to all taking bar exams... the last hurdle

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:49 pm

Also I had a quick question about ID cards. Once you're commissioned you are a member of the Navy IRR and that should entitle you to a military ID card. Has anyone done that through DEERS, and if so what did you have to do to get it? Was it difficult? Also, what about your spouse, were they able to get a dependent ID card?

The ID card will allow you access to military bases. Which is why I'm interested in getting one before ODS.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:51 pm

IRR doesn't get a cac, unfortunately. Mine deactivated when I went IRR

JEB

Postby JEB » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:57 pm

I think we technically could get a reserve ID card, but you won't be provided with your DOD ID Number in anything you're given, so unless you're prior service, you won't know your ID number, which you need to get a reserve ID card.

So you both might be able to get reserve ID cards (not a CAC, though, as SpanishMain pointed out), but those of us who aren't prior service can't.

That is my perception of it, at least.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:02 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:IRR doesn't get a cac, unfortunately. Mine deactivated when I went IRR

Right, you don't get a CAC. But you do get an ID that says you are a member of the IRR. It is a cheap, green, ID made of thin plastic that makes it bendable, and your picture isn't in color like the CAC's. I know because I have one that says Marines, E4, that still hasn't expired.

But I want a new one with my new rank. lol And one that says the new service. Don't know if it would be illegal to use the old one to get on base if the information on it isn't accurate anymore.

I still go on base regularly, and my wife would like access as well. We weren't married when I was active so she never got a dependent ID then. I remember Deers always being a pain when I was active, so I want some ammunition before I go in there. Ha ha.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

JEB wrote:I think we technically could get a reserve ID card, but you won't be provided with your DOD ID Number in anything you're given, so unless you're prior service, you won't know your ID number, which you need to get a reserve ID card.

So you both might be able to get reserve ID cards (not a CAC, though, as SpanishMain pointed out), but those of us who aren't prior service can't.

Oh alright thanks for the information. I'll look into this and let you all know what I find out. In regard to the DOD ID number, I'm pretty sure mine just has my social on it. I'm getting commissioned early next week, so I should have some kind of answer late next week.

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:35 pm

My recruiter suggested I try to get an ID after commissioning this week, so I'll report back with what happens when I do.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Yeah forgot about the green irr id. Not sure it gets you on base, gives you nex privileges, etc. worth a shot though

Those of you who are 2ls, you should maybe ask about drilling with a navy reserve unit for that money. The answer is probably "No, shut up and color" but it never hurts to ask.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:32 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JEB wrote:I think we technically could get a reserve ID card, but you won't be provided with your DOD ID Number in anything you're given, so unless you're prior service, you won't know your ID number, which you need to get a reserve ID card.

Oh alright thanks for the information. I'll look into this and let you all know what I find out. In regard to the DOD ID number, I'm pretty sure mine just has my social on it. I'm getting commissioned early next week, so I should have some kind of answer late next week.

Navy2015 wrote:My recruiter suggested I try to get an ID after commissioning this week, so I'll report back with what happens when I do.

Read #21 Should I obtain a Common Access Card (CAC) or Reserve ID card prior to my arrival at ODS? (http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ods_faq.asp)

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:40 pm

Almost certain that you will not be able to drill. First, you will have an inactive commission, not a reserve commission. Also, you can't just show up and ask to drill, you need to get orders. Finally, you would be pretty useless.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:47 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:Almost certain that you will not be able to drill. First, you will have an inactive commission, not a reserve commission. Also, you can't just show up and ask to drill, you need to get orders. Finally, you would be pretty useless.

I admit my experience is with the Army, but at least in that context getting permission to drill with a reserve unit as an IRR soldier is ridiculously easy. As to being useless, I disagree. You'd be useless as an attorney, but every reserve unit will have freshly minted O1s and E1s who have yet to go to training and are not qualified in their MOS/rate. They're plenty useful as a pool of bodies for all the miscellaneous tasks that pop up all the time.

Again, I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but just a thought.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:51 pm

It was probably a little harsh to say that you would be useless, sorry. I don't want to derail this thread, but prior to ODS and NJS you will not be in the IRR. You are on active duty in an inactive status. I know that is an oxymoron, but if you truly did hold a reserve commission, you would have to resign that commission prior to coming on Active Duty. Likely when you get your commissioning paper it will read that you have a 19xx designator. On the first day of NJS the CO will promote all the Navy personnel to O2 or in the case of prior commissioned officers with at least 1 year of service you will be promoted to O3. Your new paperwork will also reflect that your designator is now 2500. Interestingly, all of the CG students will come in as O3s and the Marines will remain 2LTs until the end of NJS.

deadthrone7

Postby deadthrone7 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:57 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Yeah forgot about the green irr id. Not sure it gets you on base, gives you nex privileges, etc. worth a shot though

The green IRR id definitely gets you on base and you can use the NEX. I use mine when I can't find my dependent ID. MWR facilities aren't accessible with it though.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 pm

deadthrone7 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Yeah forgot about the green irr id. Not sure it gets you on base, gives you nex privileges, etc. worth a shot though

The green IRR id definitely gets you on base and you can use the NEX. I use mine when I can't find my dependent ID. MWR facilities aren't accessible with it though.

Yes I agree here, I use mine to get on base too.

In regard to that link to the ODS site, I don't know what a "Navy Operational Support Center" is but that is where the FAQ tells you to get an ID. In the Marines we got our Id's at DEERS, I thought all the branches did. Navyjag1, can you shed some light on this?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:45 pm

A NOSC is a Navy Operational Support Center. They exist to provide support for drilling reservists. They can likely issue you the green card because it is simpler than the full fledged CaC. Once you go on active duty you will go to your base PSD (Personnel Support Detachment) for CAC related issues. Incidentally, it was a NOSC in Chatanooga where the shooter killed 4 Marines and a Sailor. You may want to call ahead for access requirements.

Edit: In the Navy, in my experience, when you refer to DEERS you are generally talking about the system of records, not a physical location with any people assigned to it.

JEB

Postby JEB » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:00 pm

As someone who commissioned in April, I can confirm that we are not in the IRR. We are commissioned as Reserve Officers on inactive status. (Not Active Duty on inactive status)

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:25 am

JEB wrote:As someone who commissioned in April, I can confirm that we are not in the IRR. We are commissioned as Reserve Officers on inactive status. (Not Active Duty on inactive status)

Is there a difference between inactive ready reserve and reserves in inactive status? Don't see the distinction.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:58 am

deadthrone7 wrote:

Ah, interesting. I never bothered to get an IRR ID because my wife is active, so I just use my dependapotamus ID to use the gym, the NEX, whatever. I remember when I went into the IRR, the Reserve recruiter was pitching everyone to stay in the Reserves, and one of his selling points was that you retained a CAC so you could use the base facilities/shopping. I assumed from that that the IRR card didn't give you access.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:34 am

S. Goodman wrote:Is there a difference between inactive ready reserve and reserves in inactive status? Don't see the distinction.

Lol. Military.

deadthrone7

Postby deadthrone7 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:35 am

S. Goodman wrote:
JEB wrote:As someone who commissioned in April, I can confirm that we are not in the IRR. We are commissioned as Reserve Officers on inactive status. (Not Active Duty on inactive status)

Is there a difference between inactive ready reserve and reserves in inactive status? Don't see the distinction.

My guess is call up status. Since you haven't had your training yet as an Officer, you probably can't be called up to immediate active status in an emergency where IRR you can. Total guess though.

S. Goodman wrote: Ah, interesting. I never bothered to get an IRR ID because my wife is active, so I just use my dependapotamus ID to use the gym, the NEX, whatever. I remember when I went into the IRR, the Reserve recruiter was pitching everyone to stay in the Reserves, and one of his selling points was that you retained a CAC so you could use the base facilities/shopping. I assumed from that that the IRR card didn't give you access.

Not to get too off topic, but being a prior service dependapotamus can be a riot at times. My wife is active and is at a training command so it has lots of booters and their families. I definitely troll Navy dependas at any given opportunity.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:42 am

shintopig wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Is there a difference between inactive ready reserve and reserves in inactive status? Don't see the distinction.

Lol. Military.

Everything I've read has said commissioned in the IRR. Which is the Inactive Ready Reserve. At any rate it shouldn't matter, regardless of what we are classified as we should be able to get an ID so we can access military bases. We shall see I suppose!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”