Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TheSpanishMain

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:06 am

Ramrezyeh wrote:
seanmalexander wrote:Hi All,

Longtime post reader, first-time poster. I was PR'd as a DA from the spring board. My package was complete and submitted a week ago, and it is working its way through the process. Hoping to be one of be 1st 9 to commission for the earliest ODS school. I Received one call back regarding a tatoo waiver, but other than that crickets over the last week.

What is the process for the tattoo waiver? I have two small wrist tattoos that I imagine will need to go through a similar process. I am a 2L applying for my first board this fall. I was placed as an "alternate" for the Summer Internship, but since the Navy doesn't publish their JAG alternate lists I don't really know how competitive that does/does not make me. For all I know, everyone gets that email.

I believe it's done at MEPS. Tattoos that are visible in PT gear (ie anything that isn't covered by shorts and a t-shirt) receive more scrutiny I think, but as long as they're not anything racist/offensive I think a waiver is possible.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:09 am

Congrats to everyone who got PR'd. I learned a ton about the process just reading through this forum.
2L Fall Board applicant muddling through the process as we speak.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:11 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:

Longtime post reader, first-time poster. I was PR'd as a DA from the spring board. My package was complete and submitted a week ago, and it is working its way through the process. Hoping to be one of be 1st 9 to commission for the earliest ODS school. I Received one call back regarding a tatoo waiver, but other than that crickets over the last week.

What is the process for the tattoo waiver? I have two small wrist tattoos that I imagine will need to go through a similar process. I am a 2L applying for my first board this fall. I was placed as an "alternate" for the Summer Internship, but since the Navy doesn't publish their JAG alternate lists I don't really know how competitive that does/does not make me. For all I know, everyone gets that email.

I believe it's done at MEPS. Tattoos that are visible in PT gear (ie anything that isn't covered by shorts and a t-shirt) receive more scrutiny I think, but as long as they're not anything racist/offensive I think a waiver is possible.

Yeh, that lines up with what I've read in various places. I was just looking for firsthand experience going through the process.

You are a 2L going through fall boards as well right?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:13 am

Ramrezyeh wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:

Yeh, that lines up with what I've read in various places. I was just looking for firsthand experience going through the process.

You are a 2L going through fall boards as well right?

Yerp. Will also probably need a tattoo waiver, but mine is on my shoulder so hopefully that helps.

deadthrone7

Postby deadthrone7 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:14 am

Ramrezyeh wrote:

My experience was enlisting back in 2008 so things may have changed but...

I had to fill out a form explaining my tattoos (2 on my forearms),the recruiter took pictures of them, signed it and routed it through his COC. A couple weeks later I had to do an interview with an O-5 where he signed off on my waiver. Pretty painless.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:19 am

deadthrone7 wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:

My experience was enlisting back in 2008 so things may have changed but...

I had to fill out a form explaining my tattoos (2 on my forearms),the recruiter took pictures of them, signed it and routed it through his COC. A couple weeks later I had to do an interview with an O-5 where he signed off on my waiver. Pretty painless.

Nice, I imagined it was just extra paperwork. That works for me.

BiggestJer

Postby BiggestJer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:20 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:

After MEPS was complete and I was completing my commissioning packet, there was another tattoo form to fill out. I don't know for sure, but even if you pass MEPS (and obtained a tattoo waiver from the medical authority), you could conceivably be denied a commission based upon the tattoo by whoever does the final review for commissioning. I have no idea if that's likely though.

As far as the process for a tattoo waiver, I had to get a med waiver (though not for a tattoo), and MEPS simply submitted everything to the waiver authority automatically, and I got a waiver in a couple days.

deadthrone7

Postby deadthrone7 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:25 am

I'm fairly certain they just want to make sure that you can cover it with your hand and is not gang or "hate" related. Again, it could be different in respect to officers but the Navy tattoo policy does not differentiate between ranks.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:34 am

deadthrone7 wrote:I'm fairly certain they just want to make sure that you can cover it with your hand and is not gang or "hate" related. Again, it could be different in respect to officers but the Navy tattoo policy does not differentiate between ranks.

Believe you're correct based on my initial research. Also, I think location matters. Something that is visible in PT uniform requires a waiver, whereas something that is covered in PT uniform may not (or at least, the waiver process may be much simpler.)

deadthrone7

Postby deadthrone7 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:42 am

Its the Navy, they're pretty lax when it comes to tattoos. I had officers with full sleeves, nobody cared. Most of us spent a lot of time in foreign ports getting tattoos, never was a big deal.

JEB

Postby JEB » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:23 am

Ramrezyeh wrote: I am a 2L applying for my first board this fall. I was placed as an "alternate" for the Summer Internship, but since the Navy doesn't publish their JAG alternate lists I don't really know how competitive that does/does not make me. For all I know, everyone gets that email.

I can say that not everyone gets the "alternate" email. As a 1L I applied for the Navy internship and was not selected for either the internship or as an alternate. I got picked up on my first board as a 2L, though, so I don't know that it really affects things one way or the other.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:47 pm

JEB wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote: I am a 2L applying for my first board this fall. I was placed as an "alternate" for the Summer Internship, but since the Navy doesn't publish their JAG alternate lists I don't really know how competitive that does/does not make me. For all I know, everyone gets that email.

I can say that not everyone gets the "alternate" email. As a 1L I applied for the Navy internship and was not selected for either the internship or as an alternate. I got picked up on my first board as a 2L, though, so I don't know that it really affects things one way or the other.

Thanks for chiming in, I'll take that as a small victory. Congrats on the 2L Fall board PR, when did you finally accept your commission in the spring? I saw you went through MEPS in Jan/Feb. Also since you were a fall board 2L, did at any point they offer you ODS this past summer instead of after graduation. Would that have even been an option? In some old forum I saw that listed as a possibility but I haven't read anything recently that suggests that is possible.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:14 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
deadthrone7 wrote:I'm fairly certain they just want to make sure that you can cover it with your hand and is not gang or "hate" related. Again, it could be different in respect to officers but the Navy tattoo policy does not differentiate between ranks.

Believe you're correct based on my initial research. Also, I think location matters. Something that is visible in PT uniform requires a waiver, whereas something that is covered in PT uniform may not (or at least, the waiver process may be much simpler.)

This is not entirely accurate. Nor is the poster above who said the Navy doesn't care about your tattoos. I just went through MEPS because I was PR'd from the spring 2015 board. I used to be in the Marines and I have A LOT of tattoos. I have about 17 total and a sleeve on my leg. Because I have so many I did a lot of research before I went to MEPS. The new regulation requires that anything that can be seen in a t-shirt (on your arms) must be able to be covered by your hand. Nothing on your neck, hands, face, head, etc. Legs and body don't matter as long as they can't be seen through the white Navy uniform. And of course nothing obscene or racist.

The recruiter apparently is supposed to document all of your tattoos before you go to MEPS for your medical package. Mine did not, but it didn't really matter because there is a form you do at MEPS where you write down where your tattoos are, and what they represent etc. The physician that gives you your physical confirms the tattoo locations via your form while he is checking you out.

If you're within the regulation above you won't need a tattoo waiver.
Last edited by S. Goodman on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JEB

Postby JEB » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:
JEB wrote:

Thanks for chiming in, I'll take that as a small victory. Congrats on the 2L Fall board PR, when did you finally accept your commission in the spring? I saw you went through MEPS in Jan/Feb. Also since you were a fall board 2L, did at any point they offer you ODS this past summer instead of after graduation. Would that have even been an option? In some old forum I saw that listed as a possibility but I haven't read anything recently that suggests that is possible.

I commissioned in April. And after it was suggested to me by a former Navy JAG officer that I ask about going to ODS this summer, I did email the LCDR at JAG Accessions to ask and was told that they no longer do that.

FrogLaw

Postby FrogLaw » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:57 pm

Does anyone know if you can commission overseas? I didn't realize the process would be this slow, and I am leaving in a few weeks to study abroad in Europe for this upcoming semester. Its starting to make me nervous. I'd rather not wait until January.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:00 pm

FrogLaw wrote:Does anyone know if you can commission overseas? I didn't realize the process would be this slow, and I am leaving in a few weeks to study abroad in Europe for this upcoming semester. Its starting to make me nervous. I'd rather not wait until January.

I believe that once you get your commissioning documents, any commissioned officer can administer the oath. So, presumably, if you could find a US military officer willing to do it, I don't see why not. Maybe one of the military attaches at the embassy would be willing if you coordinated beforehand?

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:10 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
FrogLaw wrote:Does anyone know if you can commission overseas? I didn't realize the process would be this slow, and I am leaving in a few weeks to study abroad in Europe for this upcoming semester. Its starting to make me nervous. I'd rather not wait until January.

I believe that once you get your commissioning documents, any commissioned officer can administer the oath. So, presumably, if you could find a US military officer willing to do it, I don't see why not. Maybe one of the military attaches at the embassy would be willing if you coordinated beforehand?

That's true about the oath, but is there more to the paperwork that day than the oath? My recruiter seemed to think we need to meet to get it done, even if someone else commissions me. But I am running into a similar problem re: timing, so would be nice to know.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Navy2015 wrote:That's true about the oath, but is there more to the paperwork that day than the oath? My recruiter seemed to think we need to meet to get it done, even if someone else commissions me. But I am running into a similar problem re: timing, so would be nice to know.

Your commissioning day involves more than just an oath and a signing. There's all sorts of paperwork involved (eg. medical, financial, legal, insurance, other agreements) that all get signed by both you and the officer administering the oath. You have to meet someone from NRC who knows what they're doing to explain everything to you as well as the administering officer. The officer will be signing his name along with yours on a lot of the forms.

Usually the person with the know-how is your or another recruiter. So you have to meet in-person @Navy2015, all 3 of you.

If you were to take your oath overseas @FrogLaw, your recruiter would have to mail or fax over your COMDOCS to an appropriate office where someone can explain the documentation, have you sign everything, and find an officer who is willing to administer the oath. Maybe there's a U.S. base somewhere where you'll be staying in Europe that's willing to shoulder your commissioning process? I dunno.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:02 pm

FrogLaw wrote: I didn't realize the process would be this slow . . . .

shintopig wrote:
Your commissioning day involves more than just an oath and a signing. There's all sorts of paperwork involved (eg. medical, financial, legal, insurance, other agreements) that all get signed by both you and the officer administering the oath.

Speaking of this I have a timeline update. I went to MEPS July 7th. Received the N3M letter and package was submitted July 10th. Welcome aboard selection letter received July 20th. Approved commissioning package received July 21st.

Everything is complete now and I am good to go to commission. I had no idea it would happen this quickly. I expected things to move much much slower.

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:46 pm

S. Goodman wrote:

shintopig wrote:
Your commissioning day involves more than just an oath and a signing. There's all sorts of paperwork involved (eg. medical, financial, legal, insurance, other agreements) that all get signed by both you and the officer administering the oath.

Speaking of this I have a timeline update. I went to MEPS July 7th. Received the N3M letter and package was submitted July 10th. Welcome aboard selection letter received July 20th. Approved commissioning package received July 21st.

Everything is complete now and I am good to go to commission. I had no idea it would happen this quickly. I expected things to move much much slower.

Thanks for the info. I think the processors are getting jag stuff pushed through quickly right now.

For DAs: Since DA people need their final duty station as part of their orders, it takes a little bit longer to write them and get financial approval for them, so commissioning has to be done by the end of next week (or "maybe the first week of August") for DA people to get in the August class. That's what I was told, anyway.

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:05 am

S. Goodman wrote:

shintopig wrote:

Congrats! That's exciting :) Ha ha, although now the real panic begins as we all race to get it done. Still waiting on my security stuff from mid-June. Time to pester my recruiter tomorrow I guess ;)

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:06 pm

JEB wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:
JEB wrote:

I commissioned in April. And after it was suggested to me by a former Navy JAG officer that I ask about going to ODS this summer, I did email the LCDR at JAG Accessions to ask and was told that they no longer do that.

Good to know. I have my fall application almost done.. this shit moves fast.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:03 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:
Congrats! That's exciting :) Ha ha, although now the real panic begins as we all race to get it done. Still waiting on my security stuff from mid-June. Time to pester my recruiter tomorrow I guess ;)

Navy2015 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I think the processors are getting jag stuff pushed through quickly right now.

Thanks! No word yet on when the commissioning ceremony is going to happen. Although, I anticipate within the next week or two.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:09 am

S. Goodman wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

This is not entirely accurate. Nor is the poster above who said the Navy doesn't care about your tattoos. I just went through MEPS because I was PR'd from the spring 2015 board. I used to be in the Marines and I have A LOT of tattoos. I have about 17 total and a sleeve on my leg. Because I have so many I did a lot of research before I went to MEPS. The new regulation requires that anything that can be seen in a t-shirt (on your arms) must be able to be covered by your hand. Nothing on your neck, hands, face, head, etc. Legs and body don't matter as long as they can't be seen through the white Navy uniform. And of course nothing obscene or racist.

The recruiter apparently is supposed to document all of your tattoos before you go to MEPS for your medical package. Mine did not, but it didn't really matter because there is a form you do at MEPS where you write down where your tattoos are, and what they represent etc. The physician that gives you your physical confirms the tattoo locations via your form while he is checking you out.

If you're within the regulation above you won't need a tattoo waiver.

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:26 pm

This thread is making me want to get some tattoos...

According to the very nice people who are doing everything in their power to get my stuff done, I will commission next week. I had a relatively obscure waiver issue that I guess was holding things up.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”