Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
deadthrone7

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby deadthrone7 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:24 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:Having never even been to New England, we were thinking Groton would be fun. Why don't people want this one? Weather, lack of entertainment, something else?

Dealing with Submariners. :P

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:55 am

JAG Hopeful wrote:
ShockTop wrote:This is all hearsay, but I heard that the most sought-after places to go to are Italy, Japan, San Diego, and Hawaii, and the least sought-after is Groton. I don't know that for certain but that is what I heard.

Having never even been to New England, we were thinking Groton would be fun. Why don't people want this one? Weather, lack of entertainment, something else?

Probably the weather, and I understand that base is very dated and lacks the amenities that larger/newer bases have.

It can't be lack of entertainment with New York and Boston so close by.

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:30 am

S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:
ShockTop wrote:This is all hearsay, but I heard that the most sought-after places to go to are Italy, Japan, San Diego, and Hawaii, and the least sought-after is Groton. I don't know that for certain but that is what I heard.

Having never even been to New England, we were thinking Groton would be fun. Why don't people want this one? Weather, lack of entertainment, something else?

Probably the weather, and I understand that base is very dated and lacks the amenities that larger/newer bases have.

It can't be lack of entertainment with New York and Boston so close by.

I'm pretty sure it's the weather.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 am

ShockTop wrote:I'm pretty sure it's the weather.

Personally my only qualm about entering the Navy was that on the aviation side there's almost nowhere you can go to get a legitimate winter. I'd love to get stationed somewhere it snows. Dealing with New England drivers, on the other hand...

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:17 am

usn26 wrote:

Personally my only qualm about entering the Navy was that on the aviation side there's almost nowhere you can go to get a legitimate winter. I'd love to get stationed somewhere it snows. Dealing with New England drivers, on the other hand...

Lol wat.

RLSO Great Lakes.

Problem Solved.

deadthrone7

Postby deadthrone7 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:20 am

shintopig wrote:
usn26 wrote:

Lol wat.

RLSO Great Lakes.

Problem Solved.

I did boot in Feb. I can confirm you will get all the winter you could possibly imagine/want in Great Lakes.

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:16 pm

shintopig wrote:
usn26 wrote:

Lol wat.

RLSO Great Lakes.

Problem Solved.

Haha, if you think that New England drivers are bad, Chicago makes them look like kind-hearted folk. Chicago is the only place I've ever gotten honked at as a pedestrian while in a crosswalk with the walk signal.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:19 pm

shintopig wrote:
usn26 wrote:

Lol wat.

RLSO Great Lakes.

Problem Solved.

Think he meant as an aviator, unless I'm reading his post wrong.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:35 pm

usn26 wrote:Personally my only qualm about entering the Navy was that on the aviation side there's almost nowhere you can go to get a legitimate winter. I'd love to get stationed somewhere it snows. Dealing with New England drivers, on the other hand...

TheSpanishMain wrote:Think he meant as an aviator, unless I'm reading his post wrong.

Ah, my bad. I generally assume everything on this thread concerns JAG.

Sorry usn26. My mistake.

At least you can find your winter fix in the JAGC.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:46 pm

shintopig wrote:
usn26 wrote:Personally my only qualm about entering the Navy was that on the aviation side there's almost nowhere you can go to get a legitimate winter. I'd love to get stationed somewhere it snows. Dealing with New England drivers, on the other hand...

TheSpanishMain wrote:Think he meant as an aviator, unless I'm reading his post wrong.

Ah, my bad. I generally assume everything on this thread concerns JAG.

Sorry usn26. My mistake.

At least you can find your winter fix in the JAGC.

Yeah that's what I meant. And yup, JAGC assignments are more my speed. Just gotta get over the whole selection/waiver hurdle.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:30 pm

usn26 wrote:Yeah that's what I meant. And yup, JAGC assignments are more my speed. Just gotta get over the whole selection/waiver hurdle.

You prior service?

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:13 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
usn26 wrote:Yeah that's what I meant. And yup, JAGC assignments are more my speed. Just gotta get over the whole selection/waiver hurdle.

You prior service?

Made it halfway through OCS en route to becoming a Naval Flight Officer until I got med DQ'd. JAG is plan B.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:15 pm

usn26 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

You prior service?

Made it halfway through OCS en route to becoming a Naval Flight Officer until I got med DQ'd. JAG is plan B.

Ah, shit man. That sucks.

I'm guessing it had to do with some flight specific medical requirement? Almost certainly doesn't apply to JAG officers, so you're probably good to go on a waiver.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:21 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
usn26 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

You prior service?

Ah, shit man. That sucks.

I'm guessing it had to do with some flight specific medical requirement? Almost certainly doesn't apply to JAG officers, so you're probably good to go on a waiver.

I wish. I got a full commissioning DQ, so I'm hoping law school will give me enough time for the BCNR to clear my record or make it easier to get a waiver than for aviation, since it was a pretty straightforward misdiagnosis. I'm cautiously optimistic that it'll be cleared in time for the boards. I'm watching everyone's waiver results closely though!

Dani2920

Postby Dani2920 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:28 pm

S. Goodman wrote:Does anyone know at which point we will know for sure what our duty station will be? Before ODS? After? Etc. Etc.

The reason I ask is because my wife and I may go ahead and move to wherever the duty station is right after I graduate LS. The only reason I would have to go back to my home state is to take the BAR.

The detailer called me last Friday concerning my new mailing address and said she is currently working on our orders. Just when I got excited she informed me the orders were just for ODS/NJS. I should have known better! She said historically 1st duty station locations are given during ODS but once she gets our initial orders out of the way she can begin working on the locations and we may be able to find out before ODS. I take this as a big maybe.

About Groton, a buddy of mine was stationed there and absolutely hated it (not JAG.) His reason was #1 the weather and #2 there was absolutely nothing to do in the actual town. Although I don't think I would mind it as much as he did...

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:48 pm

Dani2920 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Does anyone know at which point we will know for sure what our duty station will be? Before ODS? After? Etc. Etc.

The reason I ask is because my wife and I may go ahead and move to wherever the duty station is right after I graduate LS. The only reason I would have to go back to my home state is to take the BAR.

The detailer called me last Friday concerning my new mailing address and said she is currently working on our orders. Just when I got excited she informed me the orders were just for ODS/NJS. I should have known better! She said historically 1st duty station locations are given during ODS but once she gets our initial orders out of the way she can begin working on the locations and we may be able to find out before ODS. I take this as a big maybe.

About Groton, a buddy of mine was stationed there and absolutely hated it (not JAG.) His reason was #1 the weather and #2 there was absolutely nothing to do in the actual town. Although I don't think I would mind it as much as he did...

Thanks for the info. Does that mean some people have commissioned already? I figured I was close to being the furthest along in the process, but if she's writing orders, she'd need a good idea of who will be in the first 9.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:08 pm

Navy2015 wrote:
Dani2920 wrote:The detailer called me last Friday concerning my new mailing address and said she is currently working on our orders. Just when I got excited she informed me the orders were just for ODS/NJS. I should have known better! She said historically 1st duty station locations are given during ODS but once she gets our initial orders out of the way she can begin working on the locations and we may be able to find out before ODS. I take this as a big maybe.

Thanks for the info. Does that mean some people have commissioned already? I figured I was close to being the furthest along in the process, but if she's writing orders, she'd need a good idea of who will be in the first 9.

Yeah I got that call Dani2920 three-four weeks ago to confirm my address. I was told I'm most likely going to get the Oct ODS date.

June 9th, a couple days later, I was told my ODS date will be confirmed "in the next few weeks." So likely around now, seems to be the right time to hear who's going in Aug and who's going in Oct.

And Navy2015, I was the first FY16-candidate commissioned for the DC, MD, VA region; that was May 15th, 2015. I was told there were 14 more candidates in this region who were still to-be commissioned. So I guess I was early? (probably because I bugged & e-mailed my poor Chief so much) I hope that helps you place yourself on a timeline.

I was pretty insistent on commissioning ASAP. Mainly because the previous detailer told me they fill up duty locations based on commissioning order. Eg. first-come; first-choice. So I wanted to have more options open.

(FYI: If you're a graduating SP now, you're already behind the SPs from last year (eg. old 2L-acceptees) who've been commissioned for a year now)

Dani2920

Postby Dani2920 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:49 pm

shintopig wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:
Dani2920 wrote:The detailer called me last Friday concerning my new mailing address and said she is currently working on our orders. Just when I got excited she informed me the orders were just for ODS/NJS. I should have known better! She said historically 1st duty station locations are given during ODS but once she gets our initial orders out of the way she can begin working on the locations and we may be able to find out before ODS. I take this as a big maybe.

Yeah I got that call Dani2920 three-four weeks ago to confirm my address. I was told I'm most likely going to get the Oct ODS date.

June 9th, a couple days later, I was told my ODS date will be confirmed "in the next few weeks." So likely around now, seems to be the right time to hear who's going in Aug and who's going in Oct.

And Navy2015, I was the first FY16-candidate commissioned for the DC, MD, VA region; that was May 15th, 2015. I was told there were 14 more candidates in this region who were still to-be commissioned. So I guess I was early? (probably because I bugged & e-mailed my poor Chief so much) I hope that helps you place yourself on a timeline.

I was pretty insistent on commissioning ASAP. Mainly because the previous detailer told me they fill up duty locations based on commissioning order. Eg. first-come; first-choice. So I wanted to have more options open.

(FYI: If you're a graduating SP now, you're already behind the SPs from last year (eg. old 2L-acceptees) who've been commissioned for a year now)

Wow Shin, I didn't realize she had started writing orders that long ago. It would be nice to get them sooner than later. Were you told that the October ODS date was due to your bar results? And Navy2015, I commissioned last summer so I'm not sure about those that haven't commissioned yet...

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:04 pm

Dani2920 wrote:Wow Shin, I didn't realize she had started writing orders that long ago. It would be nice to get them sooner than later. Were you told that the October ODS date was due to your bar results? And Navy2015, I commissioned last summer so I'm not sure about those that haven't commissioned yet...

I don't know whether she was writing orders when they confirmed my address early last month. If that's what asking your address shows, then yeah I guess they were being written that far back.

And right, I'd assume a tentative-Oct ODS is due to my bar results being released in November. I wasn't told for sure, and I don't know exactly how they like all that worked out.

I'm thinking Oct makes sense: ODS, bar results, 1 month break, then NJS.

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:58 pm

Dani2920 wrote:
shintopig wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:

Wow Shin, I didn't realize she had started writing orders that long ago. It would be nice to get them sooner than later. Were you told that the October ODS date was due to your bar results? And Navy2015, I commissioned last summer so I'm not sure about those that haven't commissioned yet...

Sorry, Dani, I lose track of who was a DA selectee from this spring board in April. That's the only people I'm comparing myself to as far as commissioning, because we were told exactly what our situation is. There are 17 of us, the first 9 to commission will go in August, the rest who commission in time will go in October. If you're not a recent DA pick then no, there's nothing confusing about how she could be writing orders already. Thanks.

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:16 pm

I found out some good news the other day! I was given three medical waivers for my possible childhood arthritis, back pain, and for seeing a grief counselor over the death of a family member. SO, unless something come up in the security check, etc, I should be good to go for commissioning.

For other rising-3Ls with a PR from May 2015, has anyone commissioned or gotten really close? I’m thinking I want to a ceremony in uniform, but if I’m already behind, I might nix that for something more simple.

joman8390

Postby joman8390 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:51 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:I found out some good news the other day! I was given three medical waivers for my possible childhood arthritis, back pain, and for seeing a grief counselor over the death of a family member. SO, unless something come up in the security check, etc, I should be good to go for commissioning.

For other rising-3Ls with a PR from May 2015, has anyone commissioned or gotten really close? I’m thinking I want to a ceremony in uniform, but if I’m already behind, I might nix that for something more simple.

That's awesome! I haven't even gone to MEPS yet and I don't think I'm alone in that. So don't worry, do it in uniform if you want.
Last edited by joman8390 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:57 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:I found out some good news the other day! I was given three medical waivers for my possible childhood arthritis, back pain, and for seeing a grief counselor over the death of a family member. SO, unless something come up in the security check, etc, I should be good to go.

Awesome. Great news, congrats!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:20 pm

joman8390 wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:I found out some good news the other day! I was given three medical waivers for my possible childhood arthritis, back pain, and for seeing a grief counselor over the death of a family member. SO, unless something come up in the security check, etc, I should be good to go for commissioning.

That's awesome! I haven't even gone to MEPS yet and I don't think I'm alone in that. So don't worry, do it in uniform if you want.

Same here Jag Hopeful! I got PR'd May 2015 and I'm a rising 3L. I haven't been to MEPS yet either, although I do go early next week. I too think I want a big ceremony in uniform. I used to be an enlisted Marine so receiving a commission is an unbelievably big deal for me. I'd say go for the ceremony if you want! You will likely only be commissioned once in your life!

Also, congratulations on the waivers!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:00 pm

Does anyone know the typical ODS class dates? My BAR is the last week of July, 2016. Trying to determine how much money my wife and I will need next summer to survive from the end of LS to the beginning of NJS.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”