Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Navy2015
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Navy2015 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:54 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:You can get uniforms online at https://uniforms.nexweb.org

However, they will ask for your last name last 4 of your SSN and DOB. It will verify your information with DEERS, I suspect that those with no prior service will likely not be able to get in. If you are able to get in, it is a good site. You can order the uniforms and get it delivered with the gold around the sleeve. I think it is free shipping and no tax, so same deal you would get at the NEX but no gas costs.


Thanks. It didn't let me in, though I was in DEERS at one point. I wasn't planning on making a big ceremony out of mine anyway. Guess I'll just wear a suit.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Navy2015 wrote:
NavyJAG1 wrote:You can get uniforms online at https://uniforms.nexweb.org

However, they will ask for your last name last 4 of your SSN and DOB. It will verify your information with DEERS, I suspect that those with no prior service will likely not be able to get in. If you are able to get in, it is a good site. You can order the uniforms and get it delivered with the gold around the sleeve. I think it is free shipping and no tax, so same deal you would get at the NEX but no gas costs.


Thanks. It didn't let me in, though I was in DEERS at one point. I wasn't planning on making a big ceremony out of mine anyway. Guess I'll just wear a suit.


In. Thanks this is a good resource.

mer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby mer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:33 pm

A bit off topic, but are you all expecting to go to ODS in August, provided all the paperwork gets finished in time? I just stumbled upon this thread while trying to find out when NJS starts and it sounded like some of you might be...would be nice to sort of "know" people going in :)

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:09 am

Another application question for you all.

When you guys uploaded your application materials, did you use official or unofficial transcripts? They never specify official, but it seems intuitive that that would be required. I only ask because when my school issues official transcripts, they have some kind of watermark that says "VOID" that only appears when scanned or copied. Might raise some eyebrows.

User avatar
shintopig
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby shintopig » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:31 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Another application question for you all.

When you guys uploaded your application materials, did you use official or unofficial transcripts? They never specify official, but it seems intuitive that that would be required. I only ask because when my school issues official transcripts, they have some kind of watermark that says "VOID" that only appears when scanned or copied. Might raise some eyebrows.


I used a official digital transcript for all my apps. My law school used a 3rd party company for its transcripts that allowed either physical or digital (via pdf) delivery. So I just had it on hand for what I needed. Of course it still had an "Issued to student" watermark.

See if you can get your registrar's office to deliver digitally. It's nothing to crazy to request. A lot of apps are digital nowadays.

mer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby mer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:52 pm

shintopig wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Another application question for you all.

When you guys uploaded your application materials, did you use official or unofficial transcripts? They never specify official, but it seems intuitive that that would be required. I only ask because when my school issues official transcripts, they have some kind of watermark that says "VOID" that only appears when scanned or copied. Might raise some eyebrows.


I used a official digital transcript for all my apps. My law school used a 3rd party company for its transcripts that allowed either physical or digital (via pdf) delivery. So I just had it on hand for what I needed. Of course it still had an "Issued to student" watermark.

See if you can get your registrar's office to deliver digitally. It's nothing to crazy to request. A lot of apps are digital nowadays.


I did both. My law school transcript was a pdf from our registrar, but it said it was unofficial and to check for authenticity with embossing and the law college seal, which it obviously didn't have. Got an official transcript from my undergrad school than ended up saying "copy" in huge letters all over it once I scanned it. So I'd say you're probably fine either way.

User avatar
JEB
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby JEB » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:22 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:
NavyJAG1 wrote:You can get uniforms online at https://uniforms.nexweb.org

However, they will ask for your last name last 4 of your SSN and DOB. It will verify your information with DEERS, I suspect that those with no prior service will likely not be able to get in. If you are able to get in, it is a good site. You can order the uniforms and get it delivered with the gold around the sleeve. I think it is free shipping and no tax, so same deal you would get at the NEX but no gas costs.


Thanks. It didn't let me in, though I was in DEERS at one point. I wasn't planning on making a big ceremony out of mine anyway. Guess I'll just wear a suit.


In. Thanks this is a good resource.


You'll need to let your processor know that you want to do this. You'll need to have them give you a PDF of your COMDOC and Select Letter, then you'll call the NEX uniform phone order number, get the fax number to send it to, then call back and they'll walk you through ordering.

User avatar
JEB
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby JEB » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:29 pm

mer wrote:A bit off topic, but are you all expecting to go to ODS in August, provided all the paperwork gets finished in time? I just stumbled upon this thread while trying to find out when NJS starts and it sounded like some of you might be...would be nice to sort of "know" people going in :)


Mer,

I think most of the people that have been active in this thread are 2Ls (including me), so most of us will be together at ODS in August 2016. That being said, we'd love to get updates on what ODS/NJS are like from a lawyer's perspective (almost all the blogs/articles about it are from chaplains or nurses)

mer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby mer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:53 pm

JEB wrote:
Mer,

I think most of the people that have been active in this thread are 2Ls (including me), so most of us will be together at ODS in August 2016. That being said, we'd love to get updates on what ODS/NJS are like from a lawyer's perspective (almost all the blogs/articles about it are from chaplains or nurses)


Gotcha, I'll keep you updated! There's definitely a lack of JAG info out there. I think you all are making a great resource here, because I would have loved stats like that about who has been accepted. (Note to future JAG hopefuls: don't be psyched out by these awesome people. My school's ranked in the mid-50s. Just depends on whether you have what they're looking for that board, I guess).

And JEB, you're lucky you know in advance. Obviously my fault for applying so late, but I basically found out I had 78 days to get myself in shape, so my updates will likely be about how I'm in excruciating pain and kicking the caffeine addiction after the bar. :)

Navy2015
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Navy2015 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Well how about THAT email we just all got? Talk about answering all our questions.

Edit: to be clear, DA only. It detailed when we are foinf to ods and njs, and also is the first time I ever heard that DA selectees, unlike SP, do not go home between ods and njs but instead go to their first duty station. Lots of logistical implications there.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby los blancos » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Navy2015 wrote:Well how about THAT email we just all got? Talk about answering all our questions.

Edit: to be clear, DA only. It detailed when we are foinf to ods and njs, and also is the first time I ever heard that DA selectees, unlike SP, do not go home between ods and njs but instead go to their first duty station. Lots of logistical implications there.


Do you have any idea yet where you're going to end up or does that come later on?

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Navy2015 wrote:
Edit: to be clear, DA only. It detailed when we are going to ODS and NJS, and also is the first time I ever heard that DA selectees, unlike SP, do not go home between ODS and NJS but instead go to their first duty station. Lots of logistical implications there.


Isn't the point of going home after ODS to wait to see if you passed the BAR? If so it would make sense that DA selects would go to their duty station instead of home before NJS.

JAG Hopeful
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:18 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby JAG Hopeful » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:44 pm

I was cleared to go to MEPS tomorrow - a one week turnaround from N3M wanting to re-review my paperwork after getting a courtesy review DQ back in Feb.

Do I need to bring my medical records, particularly my waiver-related letters from doctors?

Navy2015
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Navy2015 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:56 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:
Edit: to be clear, DA only. It detailed when we are going to ODS and NJS, and also is the first time I ever heard that DA selectees, unlike SP, do not go home between ODS and NJS but instead go to their first duty station. Lots of logistical implications there.


Isn't the point of going home after ODS to wait to see if you passed the BAR? If so it would make sense that DA selects would go to their duty station instead of home before NJS.


Oh yeah, it makes 100% sense. I had just never heard it before, including in this thread when people were talking about how you go on IRR between the schools and don't get paid. That is apparently only for SP people, but maybe everyone else was aware of that.

mer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby mer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:01 pm

Navy2015 wrote:Well how about THAT email we just all got? Talk about answering all our questions.

Edit: to be clear, DA only. It detailed when we are foinf to ods and njs, and also is the first time I ever heard that DA selectees, unlike SP, do not go home between ods and njs but instead go to their first duty station. Lots of logistical implications there.


I got an SP email with an attachment I can't open. I hope that means we'll be getting some info soon.

Did it give a start date for NJS?

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby usn26 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:24 am

JEB wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:
NavyJAG1 wrote:You can get uniforms online at https://uniforms.nexweb.org

However, they will ask for your last name last 4 of your SSN and DOB. It will verify your information with DEERS, I suspect that those with no prior service will likely not be able to get in. If you are able to get in, it is a good site. You can order the uniforms and get it delivered with the gold around the sleeve. I think it is free shipping and no tax, so same deal you would get at the NEX but no gas costs.


Thanks. It didn't let me in, though I was in DEERS at one point. I wasn't planning on making a big ceremony out of mine anyway. Guess I'll just wear a suit.


In. Thanks this is a good resource.


You'll need to let your processor know that you want to do this. You'll need to have them give you a PDF of your COMDOC and Select Letter, then you'll call the NEX uniform phone order number, get the fax number to send it to, then call back and they'll walk you through ordering.


Did everything turn out okay? I seem to remember that one of the brands fit me a lot better than the other, and there being a lot of measuring and tailoring involved. I would worry about doing that process remotely.

hasmith
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:56 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby hasmith » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:42 am

Did everything turn out okay? I seem to remember that one of the brands fit me a lot better than the other, and there being a lot of measuring and tailoring involved. I would worry about doing that process remotely.


I would be worried about this too. Not to mention, for those without prior service, you won't know how to wear the uniform, salute etc.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:10 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:I was cleared to go to MEPS tomorrow - a one week turnaround from N3M wanting to re-review my paperwork after getting a courtesy review DQ back in Feb.

Do I need to bring my medical records, particularly my waiver-related letters from doctors?



Glad that you were cleared to go! You're there right now so hopefully it goes well! Report back on your experience if you can.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:13 pm

mer wrote:
I got an SP email with an attachment I can't open. I hope that means we'll be getting some info soon.

Did it give a start date for NJS?



You got another SP email recently? What stage are you in? Have you done MEPS and all that?

I ask all of that because I didn't get any new SP emails, so that is concerning. lol I haven't been to MEPS though.

mer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby mer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:36 pm

S. Goodman wrote:

You got another SP email recently? What stage are you in? Have you done MEPS and all that?

I ask all of that because I didn't get any new SP emails, so that is concerning. lol I haven't been to MEPS though.


You're a 2L right? It was to people for this year re: bar results and scheduling. I'm sure you're fine.

JAG Hopeful
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:18 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby JAG Hopeful » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:04 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:I was cleared to go to MEPS tomorrow - a one week turnaround from N3M wanting to re-review my paperwork after getting a courtesy review DQ back in Feb.

Do I need to bring my medical records, particularly my waiver-related letters from doctors?



Glad that you were cleared to go! You're there right now so hopefully it goes well! Report back on your experience if you can.


It went well, if as expected; the day was supposed to be pro forma, and it was. The doctors DQd me, but there's decent hope for a waiver. No new problems found at MEPS, and the back injury I had 2 years ago doesn't affect me, and the possible arthritis I had as a child was ruled out as just symptoms not arthritis last month by both my family doctor and the specialist who saw me 15 years ago. The MEPS doctor recommended both waivers, and my recruiter has had very good luck with JAG waivers. If nothing else, it's movement on my case, and the last piece I'm responsible for before commissioning (if it happens :) ). I feel very good about the day.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby usn26 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:24 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:It went well, if as expected; the day was supposed to be pro forma, and it was. The doctors DQd me, but there's decent hope for a waiver. No new problems found at MEPS, and the back injury I had 2 years ago doesn't affect me, and the possible arthritis I had as a child was ruled out as just symptoms not arthritis last month by both my family doctor and the specialist who saw me 15 years ago. The MEPS doctor recommended both waivers, and my recruiter has had very good luck with JAG waivers. If nothing else, it's movement on my case, and the last piece I'm responsible for before commissioning (if it happens :) ). I feel very good about the day.


Glad to hear this! Hope it's smooth sailing from here for you!

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:11 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:I was cleared to go to MEPS tomorrow - a one week turnaround from N3M wanting to re-review my paperwork after getting a courtesy review DQ back in Feb.

Do I need to bring my medical records, particularly my waiver-related letters from doctors?



Glad that you were cleared to go! You're there right now so hopefully it goes well! Report back on your experience if you can.


It went well, if as expected; the day was supposed to be pro forma, and it was. The doctors DQd me, but there's decent hope for a waiver. No new problems found at MEPS, and the back injury I had 2 years ago doesn't affect me, and the possible arthritis I had as a child was ruled out as just symptoms not arthritis last month by both my family doctor and the specialist who saw me 15 years ago. The MEPS doctor recommended both waivers, and my recruiter has had very good luck with JAG waivers. If nothing else, it's movement on my case, and the last piece I'm responsible for before commissioning (if it happens :) ). I feel very good about the day.


I think you should be optimistic. If the docs recommended you for a waiver, you're probably good to go. I was DQd the first time I went to MEPS for hearing loss. (Spoiler alert: my hearing is 100% fine, their stupid sit-in-the-booth-and-press-the-button machine was on the fritz.) If it's not an absolute dealbreaker (and it sounds like it's not) you should be fine.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:19 pm

mer wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

You got another SP email recently? What stage are you in? Have you done MEPS and all that?

I ask all of that because I didn't get any new SP emails, so that is concerning. lol I haven't been to MEPS though.


You're a 2L right? It was to people for this year re: bar results and scheduling. I'm sure you're fine.


Yeah I'm a 2L. Thanks for the update!

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:30 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:I was cleared to go to MEPS tomorrow - a one week turnaround from N3M wanting to re-review my paperwork after getting a courtesy review DQ back in Feb.

Do I need to bring my medical records, particularly my waiver-related letters from doctors?



Glad that you were cleared to go! You're there right now so hopefully it goes well! Report back on your experience if you can.


It went well, if as expected; the day was supposed to be pro forma, and it was. The doctors DQd me, but there's decent hope for a waiver. No new problems found at MEPS, and the back injury I had 2 years ago doesn't affect me, and the possible arthritis I had as a child was ruled out as just symptoms not arthritis last month by both my family doctor and the specialist who saw me 15 years ago. The MEPS doctor recommended both waivers, and my recruiter has had very good luck with JAG waivers. If nothing else, it's movement on my case, and the last piece I'm responsible for before commissioning (if it happens :) ). I feel very good about the day.


That is great news! Sounds like you should be good to go!




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests