Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Navy2015
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Navy2015 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:26 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:To the original question--i also don't know if IRR to IRR is possible, but I don't think it will speed anything up to be honest. I don't have to go to MEPS / be reinvestigated for security, and they have no plans to put me through any faster than other selectees. I tried. It would save you a trip to MEPS at least if it works.


Are you active Navy?


Nope, but I technically was recently enough that my N3M letter and security clearance were still active though.


Nice. Not to be presumptuous or anything, but I was just wondering if I were selected, if I'd have to do meps/reinvestigation since I got off active duty in 2012 and am still an IRR officer with an active clearance/current physical.


My understanding is that the n3m letter is good for 2 years from the date it was signed, which isn't a big window / probably doesn't cover most people who are active but switching jobs.

I don't know what they do about security stuff. I still have a clearance but I had to fill out the nasis stuff again to update the info. I can't imagine they'd conduct an investigation with the same people after such a short time.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:41 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Saul (and any other vets who got PR'd):

Had a thought that might save you going to MEPs and all that. If you're still in the IRR or Reserves, you might be able to do an interservice transfer. Your old service basically just releases you to the Navy IRR. If that's possible, you might be able to avoid all the painful stuff and commission faster. If you go that route, you never actually fully leave the military, you're just transferring from one service to another, so you might be able to completely skip MEPS and expedite your clearance reactivation.

It seems like it would be a win for both the applicant and the Navy: applicant doesn't have to go duck walk in his underwear and the Navy gets to commission you faster and with less hassle. Just a thought.



I am still in the IRR as well, I also got out in 2012 (November). I don't know if IRR to IRR is possible either. A friend who was in the Marines with me that got out around the same time is going back on active duty in the Coast Guard, they made him go back to MEPS. That is a different branch, and it is enlisted to enlisted . . . so I don't know how applicable that information is here. He told me his Coast Guard recruiter had to contact our reserve unit (we have the same IRR unit) and request that he be released from the Marine IRR, I don't believe he was "transferred" but simply released. Which would explain having to go back to MEPS like he had to so he could enter the Coast Guard.

EDIT: Just confirmed with him.

"Hey when your recruiter contacted our base to get you out of the IRR, did they "transfer" you to the coast guard IRR, or just straight release you from the Marine IRR altogether?"

"Straight released. They give you 90 days to sign with another branch. If you don't then you go right back to marines IRR. It's called a conditional release.


joman8390 wrote:
2L here, still haven't heard from a recruiter either.


I actually still have not heard from a recruiter either, not a peep.

Not sure if this is the "usual" thing, or if somehow I'm just unlucky, or if maybe the process for prior military is shorter so there's no rush? I don't know.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:52 am

For those who it affects, here's what I found out:

If you go to MEPS and you have a current military status (Reserves/IRR) going from enlisted to officer you need a DD 368 releasing you. You still get the full Chapter 2 evaluation, but you might get to skip some steps or get frontloaded. If you have a current military status and are staying in the same rank category (reserve enlisted -> active enlisted or reserve officer -> active officer) you do not need a full Chapter 2 physical, you just get the Chapter 3 physical, which is shorter and measured on a retention rather than an induction standard.

Bottom line: don't fully separate if you want to go back, it'll make the ass pain much better

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:34 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:For those who it affects, here's what I found out:

If you go to MEPS and you have a current military status (Reserves/IRR) going from enlisted to officer you need a DD 368 releasing you. You still get the full Chapter 2 evaluation, but you might get to skip some steps or get frontloaded. If you have a current military status and are staying in the same rank category (reserve enlisted -> active enlisted or reserve officer -> active officer) you do not need a full Chapter 2 physical, you just get the Chapter 3 physical, which is shorter and measured on a retention rather than an induction standard.

Bottom line: don't fully separate if you want to go back, it'll make the ass pain much better



Thanks for this. Unfortunately it doesn't help me any. I was enlisted in the Marines, so looks like I'll need the full physical!



Still haven't heard from a recruiter. lol

User avatar
shintopig
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Detailing Update

Postby shintopig » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:59 pm

So accepted for FY2016, graduated & studying for the bar now. Commissioned, and just awaiting detailing.

I heard from the JAGC Detailing Office requesting a confirmation of my mailing address. So I guess they know I'm here.

But, I have no idea as to my detailing, like when I'm going to ODS or NJS, where I'm going to be assigned.

Any FY2016 SPs or DAs get detailed yet?
Last edited by shintopig on Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:58 am

Finally got hooked up with a recruiter. But now that the deadline has half passed, we shall see whether they will take a PR from you if you're incomplete after 60 days.

FrogLaw
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby FrogLaw » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:22 pm

Any other student programs people done MEPS yet? Just went through it today. What time sucking headache.... Feels nice to get the ball rolling though.

User avatar
shintopig
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby shintopig » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:43 pm

FrogLaw wrote:Any other student programs people done MEPS yet? Just went through it today. What time sucking headache.... Feels nice to get the ball rolling though.

I've done MEPS 2x now. Once for an old AR OCS App. That was the normal way (big dinner the night before, hotel, early morning on a bus, recruiter picks you up etc.) That time took about 7hrs. I couldn't re-use that visit for the USN app; only lasts for like 1 1/2 years I think.

For the USN the second time, I did it the "officer way" (driving myself 2hrs in the AM to & 2hrs back). It took 10hrs :x. One doctor for 50+ guys; major bottleneck. If you went to the bathroom you lost your place in line. All the female-applicants got to go ahead of the guys for a bunch of the tests. 9hrs in someone had a heart attack outside the facility, so everything had to stop for a while (no AED there oddly enough). It was a terrible day.

I did get to help this young AR enlistee with the infamous duck-walk. He was getting all nervous & shaken up. The doctor there (ret. AR COL) was chewing him out. Someone just had to calm him & get his head right.

Still, I can't properly express in words how tedious MEPS is (or how much I hated it).

FrogLaw
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby FrogLaw » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:09 pm

What is the normal timeframe to hear a final word from MEPS? (from blood work, etc that they send off)

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Looking at the online application system, the Navy specifically says it wants to see your class standing with your transcripts. What did you guys do if your school doesn't rank? My law school and undergraduate both don't rank students.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:34 pm

FrogLaw wrote:What is the normal timeframe to hear a final word from MEPS? (from blood work, etc that they send off)


It is going to be hard to find someone that will know a solid time-frame, typically no news is good news. Most people never hear anything, so it'll be hard to nail the return time down. At least that is my opinion.


TheSpanishMain wrote:Looking at the online application system, the Navy specifically says it wants to see your class standing with your transcripts. What did you guys do if your school doesn't rank? My law school and undergraduate both don't rank students.


So to get you a good answer I went and looked at my application that I submitted. The field where you put your class rank allows type written answers, it isn't a drop down type of deal. For mine I just put top 25%, top 35% etc. etc. I didn't put a specific class rank (like 50/250) and that was fine apparently. If your school doesn't rank I would just put unranked, and in the type written portion at the end of the application where they ask if you want to add anything else to your application I would clarify why you are not ranked in case they would like to know.

FrogLaw
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby FrogLaw » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:20 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Looking at the online application system, the Navy specifically says it wants to see your class standing with your transcripts. What did you guys do if your school doesn't rank? My law school and undergraduate both don't rank students.



My law school doesn't give us class ranks, so I just left it blank and there was no problem.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate it .

Navy2015
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Navy2015 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:00 pm

FrogLaw wrote:What is the normal timeframe to hear a final word from MEPS? (from blood work, etc that they send off)


Like Saul said, most people never hear anything. But you do receive an N3M letter physically qualifying you, which has a date on it. I don't remember exactly what time of month I went to MEPS, but my N3M letter is dated 5-9 weeks after my trip (depending on when I went). So that's how long my recruiter waited after my trip before hearing I was PQ'd.

For reference to compare to how long it might take you, they couldn't declare me PQ'd that day at MEPS due to a technicality, but I had it taken care of that day, so I doubt it slowed the n3m letter down.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Don't you find out at meps if you're qualified? The first time I did this I walked out knowing I was good to go, there was no waiting on a letter. I'm pretty sure there is a box on the DD physical exam report (2808) where the doc checks "physically qualified"

Navy2015
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Navy2015 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:37 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Don't you find out at meps if you're qualified? The first time I did this I walked out knowing I was good to go, there was no waiting on a letter. I'm pretty sure there is a box on the DD physical exam report (2808) where the doc checks "physically qualified"


Yeah, good point. Like I said the doctor gave me a hold letter for a small thing (couldn't see eardrum through ear wax, so technically couldn't verify it was in tact), and he was gone by the time I came back from getting my ears flushed (sexy, I know), so they checked Med Hold on mine instead of PQ or NPQ. Also, I assumed frog didn't get PQ'd day-of because he was asking about the timeframe.

Either way, even if you get PQ'd that day, your package can't be submitted to OPM for processing without the N3M letter. In my case I think it took a little over a month to come. But maybe it's faster when you're not put on a hold.

User avatar
JEB
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby JEB » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:09 pm

I don't know for sure, but I was told when I left MEPS (with all PQ on my forms) that as soon as the bloodwork came back, I would be medically cleared (which they estimated took a few days).

I had my select letter in hand 4 weeks after MEPS, my COMDOCS a week later. (It took another month after that to commission, but that was because the Veterans group wanted to do a big event of it, I ordered SDBs to commission in uniform, and family and friends flew in for it.)

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:47 am

Ah, that makes sense. I thought the N3M letter was only if you needed a waiver for something. Didn't realize everyone gets one. So when you have your DD 2808 all filled out, your recruiter sends that in, and (assuming it says you're PQ) the Navy sends back an N3M?

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby usn26 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:57 am

JEB wrote:I ordered SDBs to commission in uniform.


I didn't realize you could do that. Did you get them through the NEX?

Fed_Atty
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:01 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:20 am

If you want some light reading about your first two years, I recommend looking at the First Tour Judge Advocate instruction available here: http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/instructions/CNLSCINST_1300_1A_FTJA%20Program.pdf

TL:DR - Your first tour of approximately 2 years will have you rotating between our major practice areas - Legal Assistance, Staff Judge Advocate, Defense and Prosecution. The work you do in defense and prosecution is limited, particularly in defense. You will see that in defense you cannot form an attorney client relationship. When the JAG first instituted the program there was some pushback, but that was largely because it was sprung upon the new LTJGs with little to now warning.

Personally, I see pros and cons with it. It is nice to get a structured introduction to the various practice areas, on the other hand, the sink or swim method that we used to do had a steep learning curve, but it was fun to show up on the 1st day and get handed a stack of cases!

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:12 pm

usn26 wrote:
JEB wrote:I ordered SDBs to commission in uniform.


I didn't realize you could do that. Did you get them through the NEX?



I wanted to do this as well. I was just planning to drive to the nearest navy base to buy some. A reliable online source would be good to know though.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:15 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:
Your first tour of approximately 2 years will have you rotating between our major practice areas - Legal Assistance, Staff Judge Advocate, Defense and Prosecution.


Do you typically PCS to a new base after your two years? How exactly does getting a new assignment work?

FrogLaw
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby FrogLaw » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Navy2015 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Don't you find out at meps if you're qualified? The first time I did this I walked out knowing I was good to go, there was no waiting on a letter. I'm pretty sure there is a box on the DD physical exam report (2808) where the doc checks "physically qualified"


Yeah, good point. Like I said the doctor gave me a hold letter for a small thing (couldn't see eardrum through ear wax, so technically couldn't verify it was in tact), and he was gone by the time I came back from getting my ears flushed (sexy, I know), so they checked Med Hold on mine instead of PQ or NPQ. Also, I assumed frog didn't get PQ'd day-of because he was asking about the timeframe.

Either way, even if you get PQ'd that day, your package can't be submitted to OPM for processing without the N3M letter. In my case I think it took a little over a month to come. But maybe it's faster when you're not put on a hold.


I was told everything was good to go when I left MEPS that day, so long as nothing weird came back from the bloodwork. So I was just wondering how long it takes them to process the bloodwork and give me the final ok. I'm not particularly worried about anything, just would be nice to have a final word.

Navy2015
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Navy2015 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:14 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
usn26 wrote:
JEB wrote:I ordered SDBs to commission in uniform.


I didn't realize you could do that. Did you get them through the NEX?



I wanted to do this as well. I was just planning to drive to the nearest navy base to buy some. A reliable online source would be good to know though.


+1 interest in answer

Fed_Atty
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:01 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:39 pm

You can get uniforms online at https://uniforms.nexweb.org

However, they will ask for your last name last 4 of your SSN and DOB. It will verify your information with DEERS, I suspect that those with no prior service will likely not be able to get in. If you are able to get in, it is a good site. You can order the uniforms and get it delivered with the gold around the sleeve. I think it is free shipping and no tax, so same deal you would get at the NEX but no gas costs.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: black lab, peger and 7 guests