Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
usn26

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby usn26 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:58 am

Edit: meant to PM

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Tue May 19, 2015 11:56 am

Still haven’t heard from a recruiter or Navy Recruiting in general. However, I did get an email from a JAG who, for lack of a better term, will be my sponsor/status-checker. Basically, he said he’d check in and see how the process was going once a month and answer any questions or pull some strings to help get the gears moving. He said he didn’t have much power, other than directing me to the LDCR at JAG Accessions, but he’s another point person in my corner, so that’s helpful.

He also confirmed what we’ve been discussing here as far as lag time. They’re starting with DAs, then 3Ls, then 2Ls because DAs and 3Ls enter the pipeline first. So, as a 2L, being patient is the name of the game. And honestly, that doesn’t hurt us, because we’ll (hopefully) commission before the results from the next board are released. And it give me time to finish my doctors’ appointments and get all my documents lined up.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue May 19, 2015 12:29 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:Still haven’t heard from a recruiter or Navy Recruiting in general. However, I did get an email from a JAG who, for lack of a better term, will be my sponsor/status-checker. Basically, he said he’d check in and see how the process was going once a month and answer any questions or pull some strings to help get the gears moving. He said he didn’t have much power, other than directing me to the LDCR at JAG Accessions, but he’s another point person in my corner, so that’s helpful.

He also confirmed what we’ve been discussing here as far as lag time. They’re starting with DAs, then 3Ls, then 2Ls because DAs and 3Ls enter the pipeline first. So, as a 2L, being patient is the name of the game. And honestly, that doesn’t hurt us, because we’ll (hopefully) commission before the results from the next board are released. And it give me time to finish my doctors’ appointments and get all my documents lined up.

Every RLSO has to designate a recruiting officer, this is a collateral duty that you have to do in addition to your regularly assigned duties. (I used to be a recruiting officer) Each recruiting officer will be assigned a number of PRO-RECS based on where the officer is stationed. For instance, a recruiting officer in the Southeast will have the Florida Applicants, Georgia applicants etc. Every month, you have to report the status of those PRO-RECS assigned to you. You will likely get annoyed by the monthly e-mails because not much happens from month to month. Generally the milestones that they are looking for are commissioning, graduation, bar passage, ODS start and finish and NJS start and finish. For the 2L's you can see how there will be many months of nothing to report. Don't get angry at the Recruiting Officers for the e-mail, they are just doing their job. They may be able to push issues for you, particularly if you are having trouble getting in touch with a recruiter or some other issue.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue May 19, 2015 9:16 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:Still haven’t heard from a recruiter or Navy Recruiting in general. However, I did get an email from a JAG who, for lack of a better term, will be my sponsor/status-checker.

Same for me. Not a peep from any officer recruiters yet, but I did get an email from a person in a similar position as to the one you described. A monthly checker type of person.

JAG Hopeful wrote:He also confirmed what we’ve been discussing here as far as lag time. They’re starting with DAs, then 3Ls, then 2Ls because DAs and 3Ls enter the pipeline first. So, as a 2L, being patient is the name of the game.

Can you expand on this? What does this mean precisely? As a 2L they are purposely waiting to assign us recruiters because we have plenty of time to commission before we graduate? If so, what about this whole 60 day "get everything done" requirement?

Don't get me wrong, I'm cool with waiting as well. I would just like to know whether the above is correct or not.

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Wed May 20, 2015 10:14 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:Still haven’t heard from a recruiter or Navy Recruiting in general. However, I did get an email from a JAG who, for lack of a better term, will be my sponsor/status-checker.

Same for me. Not a peep from any officer recruiters yet, but I did get an email from a person in a similar position as to the one you described. A monthly checker type of person.

JAG Hopeful wrote:He also confirmed what we’ve been discussing here as far as lag time. They’re starting with DAs, then 3Ls, then 2Ls because DAs and 3Ls enter the pipeline first. So, as a 2L, being patient is the name of the game.

Can you expand on this? What does this mean precisely? As a 2L they are purposely waiting to assign us recruiters because we have plenty of time to commission before we graduate? If so, what about this whole 60 day "get everything done" requirement?

Don't get me wrong, I'm cool with waiting as well. I would just like to know whether the above is correct or not.

Sorry, I don't have any more info. He just said that as a 2L, wed be waiting a bit. But you could call LCDR Gehlen and ask her and explain your worries. The way I see it, the balls in their court right now. Once they connect you with a recruiter, then it's on us. Until then, they won't yank our ticket. And besides, it was about a month from PR to recruiter contact for 2Ls from the Fall Board.

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Wed May 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Also, in re-reading the letter we received, they never actually say they'll take your PR away if you're later than 60 days. If you failed to accept your PR by May 11, they took it away. But it just says, "You have 60 days to complete the following:..." They'll probably be mad at you, but they don't specifically say they'll take away the PR, like they do 3 lines above. We're all freaking out over nothing I bet...

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu May 21, 2015 7:46 am

Easier said than done - but I really wouldn't stress about it too much. The JAG corps wants you, that is why they extended a PRO-REC. Our "Human Resources" for lack of a better word, is slow and cumbersome. You will get contacted by a recruiter and there are some important people watching over the process. Officer recruiting is a smaller community than recruiting in general, and summer is the busiest time. They extended a PRO-REC because there is a spot they want you to fill. They wouldn't yank it simply due to slow recruiters. Probably doesn't do much to relieve your anxiety.

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:04 pm

I see that there's an NJS basic class from Aug 3-Oct 9, but the schedule cuts off at the end of the fiscal year, so I'm not sure when the other classes are. Since you'd have to be in the June ODS class to make the Aug NJS class (not happening), is there definitely a class in October and another in January? There was no class on the schedule for 3rd quarter (April-July) this year, but I know you guys have discussed October and January.

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:05 pm

What I'm getting at with that question... If I happen to land in the July ODS class (optimistic but theoretically possible given where I am in the process), I'll have at least 7 weeks off on IRR between ODS and NJS. Which is fine. But do you keep your health insurance between school, or are you supposed to cancel it while you're at ODS and re-obtain it until NJS, or just never cancel it (even though you don't need it for 5 weeks)?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sun May 24, 2015 10:06 pm

Navy2015 wrote:What I'm getting at with that question... If I happen to land in the July ODS class (optimistic but theoretically possible given where I am in the process), I'll have at least 7 weeks off on IRR between ODS and NJS. Which is fine. But do you keep your health insurance between school, or are you supposed to cancel it while you're at ODS and re-obtain it until NJS, or just never cancel it (even though you don't need it for 5 weeks)?

So you're a 3L that just graduated?

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:19 am

S. Goodman wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:What I'm getting at with that question... If I happen to land in the July ODS class (optimistic but theoretically possible given where I am in the process), I'll have at least 7 weeks off on IRR between ODS and NJS. Which is fine. But do you keep your health insurance between school, or are you supposed to cancel it while you're at ODS and re-obtain it until NJS, or just never cancel it (even though you don't need it for 5 weeks)?

Nah, I'm old and graduated a few years ago.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon May 25, 2015 5:21 pm

Navy2015 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Nah, I'm old and graduated a few years ago.

Oh alright. So yeah if you're not working right now these dates are really important because you need money lol

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue May 26, 2015 10:34 am

NavyJAG1 wrote: Probably doesn't do much to relieve your anxiety.

JAG Hopeful wrote: We're all freaking out over nothing I bet...

Seems as though law students are really good at freaking out over nothing. lol And "NavyJag1" it does help a little, but I'd really like to hear LCDR Gehlen say what you said. I.e. "we won't take your PR just because you didn't get everything done by the 60 day mark."

Speaking of which, I still have not been contacted by a recruiter. Which I am assuming means I haven't been assigned one yet. Although I did get an email recently from LCDR Gehlen asking whether I had been contacted by a recruiter or found one myself yet, I said I was standing by to be contacted by one, and she assigned someone to me to get me hooked up with a recruiter, so I am expecting to be getting one soon.

Who else, that was selected this board, has still not been assigned a recruiter? Where are you all in the process? Still at the beginning? lol

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Tue May 26, 2015 2:43 pm

S. Goodman wrote:

Seems as though law students are really good at freaking out over nothing. lol And "NavyJag1" it does help a little, but I'd really like to hear LCDR Gehlen say what you said. I.e. "we won't take your PR just because you didn't get everything done by the 60 day mark."

Speaking of which, I still have not been contacted by a recruiter. Which I am assuming means I haven't been assigned one yet. Although I did get an email recently from LCDR Gehlen asking whether I had been contacted by a recruiter or found one myself yet, I said I was standing by to be contacted by one, and she assigned someone to me to get me hooked up with a recruiter, so I am expecting to be getting one soon.

Who else, that was selected this board, has still not been assigned a recruiter? Where are you all in the process? Still at the beginning? lol

Moments after I read this, I got an email assigning me a recruiter. Incidently, he's the one who I worked with before for my courtesy review. I'm not sure if that's good or bad given how the courtesy review turned out :/ Oh well, I had my doctor's appnt today, and it went great. So, here's hoping I can get by and get my commission :)

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue May 26, 2015 8:05 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:
Moments after I read this, I got an email assigning me a recruiter. Incidently, he's the one who I worked with before for my courtesy review. I'm not sure if that's good or bad given how the courtesy review turned out :/ Oh well, I had my doctor's appnt today, and it went great. So, here's hoping I can get by and get my commission :)

Questions . . .

(1) Doctors appointment? Did you not have to go to MEPS?

(2) What is a courtesy review?

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Thu May 28, 2015 3:49 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:

Questions . . .

(1) Doctors appointment? Did you not have to go to MEPS?

(2) What is a courtesy review?

A courtesy review is that unofficial review of your medical documents that I discussed a couple pages ago. It’s for professional candidates (lawyers, nurses, doctors, etc.) who may have some physical problems (I linked to the COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1131 from where it comes a couple pages back). The Navy looks at your documents and then determines if you’re medically disqualified (subject to waiver), or qualified (subject to going to MEPS) based on your documents alone. Although it’s unofficial, I found out today that I’m probably going to be stuck with the NPQ for back pain and possible arthritis determination they found back in February. So, I get to skip the initial documents review prior to MEPS, but now I’m thrown right into the waiver process and won’t be allowed to go to MEPS =/

This was my private family doctor. I saw him to confirm that I still didn’t have arthritis (He was the doctor who noticed the possible symptoms 15 years ago). I also saw him to perform a range of motion test on my back to determine that I was fit for an active lifestyle like the Navy’s. He wrote a letter to that effect, and basically, that’s all I have to hold my hopes on.

I’m trying not to get too discouraged, but it looks more and more likely that I won’t get to serve this way.

joman8390

Postby joman8390 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:45 pm

S. Goodman wrote:

2L here, still haven't heard from a recruiter either.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:46 am

Saul (and any other vets who got PR'd):

Had a thought that might save you going to MEPs and all that. If you're still in the IRR or Reserves, you might be able to do an interservice transfer. Your old service basically just releases you to the Navy IRR. If that's possible, you might be able to avoid all the painful stuff and commission faster. If you go that route, you never actually fully leave the military, you're just transferring from one service to another, so you might be able to completely skip MEPS and expedite your clearance reactivation.

It seems like it would be a win for both the applicant and the Navy: applicant doesn't have to go duck walk in his underwear and the Navy gets to commission you faster and with less hassle. Just a thought.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:41 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote: If that's possible, you might be able to avoid all the painful stuff and commission faster. If you go that route, you never actually fully leave the military, you're just transferring from one service to another, so you might be able to completely skip MEPS and expedite your clearance reactivation.

It seems like it would be a win for both the applicant and the Navy: applicant doesn't have to go duck walk in his underwear and the Navy gets to commission you faster and with less hassle. Just a thought.

Would you be able to pass on ODS if you've already been commissioned through another commissioning source either with the Navy or a different branch? Also, wouldn't an interservice transfer move you up on the base assignment list because in theory you'd be the first person in your class to have commissioned?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:50 pm

twenty wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote: If that's possible, you might be able to avoid all the painful stuff and commission faster. If you go that route, you never actually fully leave the military, you're just transferring from one service to another, so you might be able to completely skip MEPS and expedite your clearance reactivation.

Would you be able to pass on ODS if you've already been commissioned through another commissioning source either with the Navy or a different branch? Also, wouldn't an interservice transfer move you up on the base assignment list because in theory you'd be the first person in your class to have commissioned?

Maybe, yeah. The scuttlebutt I've heard (admittedly pretty speculative) is that prior enlisted folks must go to ODS, but prior officers do not.

And yeah, it would probably be faster to commission.

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:57 pm

twenty wrote:

To the original question--i also don't know if IRR to IRR is possible, but I don't think it will speed anything up to be honest. I don't have to go to MEPS / be reinvestigated for security, and they have no plans to put me through any faster than other selectees. I tried. It would save you a trip to MEPS at least if it works.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Navy2015 wrote:To the original question--i also don't know if IRR to IRR is possible, but I don't think it will speed anything up to be honest. I don't have to go to MEPS / be reinvestigated for security, and they have no plans to put me through any faster than other selectees. I tried. It would save you a trip to MEPS at least if it works.

Are you active Navy?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:00 pm

At least for my NJS class, prior Naval Officers did not have to go to ODS, but officers from other services did. It kind of makes sense, there are things specific to each branch that you would want to learn, I don't think I could just throw on an AF uniform and not screw up some particular courtesy or uniform convention. Of course, I make plenty of mistakes in the Navy too!

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:03 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:To the original question--i also don't know if IRR to IRR is possible, but I don't think it will speed anything up to be honest. I don't have to go to MEPS / be reinvestigated for security, and they have no plans to put me through any faster than other selectees. I tried. It would save you a trip to MEPS at least if it works.

Are you active Navy?

Nope, but I technically was recently enough that my N3M letter and security clearance were still active though.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Navy2015 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Are you active Navy?

Nope, but I technically was recently enough that my N3M letter and security clearance were still active though.

Nice. Not to be presumptuous or anything, but I was just wondering if I were selected, if I'd have to do meps/reinvestigation since I got off active duty in 2012 and am still an IRR officer with an active clearance/current physical.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”