Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shintopig

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby shintopig » Wed May 13, 2015 6:20 am

JAG Hopeful wrote:Everybody still waiting on getting connected with a recruiter? I'm getting nervous - we have to be done with everything 2 months from yesterday.

S. Goodman wrote:I haven't been contacted by a recruiter yet, glad to hear others have not either . . . so it's normal.

In regard to the 60 day thing, I think they just added that because the fall board people didn't have it on their paperwork. Perhaps it is to incentivize people to move through the process intently? But do you guys really think they'll revoke your PR if you're still not through the process in 60 days? I think no, but who really knows?

Lol, if the military revoked your PR just because they took over 60 days to commission you, they'd be getting rid of a lot of acceptees.

So, we've talked S. Goodman; 1st) A huge Congrats. I remember you, you deserved it.

2nd) I'm commissioning this Friday (05/15) & I was PRed from the Fall 2014 Board. That should say it all . . . welcome to the USN.

But here's was my timeline to calm your nerves. I was told this process should take 3-months.

I was accepted 12/9/14, accepted the PR 12/18/14. I contacted around looking for a recruiter. In late 01/15 I was put in contact with one finally. MEPS (medical processing) took 12-hours on a day early-02/15. My packet was sent to Navy-Recruiting late 02/15. My COMDOCS (commissioning documents) came down from Congress (apparently this is a thing) 04/15 & was approved by SECDEF (also apparently a thing) in 04/15 as well. My recruiter set up an officer to commission me 05/15/15.

So in total 5+months from acceptance to commissioning date.
Last edited by shintopig on Tue May 19, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Wed May 13, 2015 4:17 pm

shintopig wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:Everybody still waiting on getting connected with a recruiter? I'm getting nervous - we have to be done with everything 2 months from yesterday.

S. Goodman wrote:I haven't been contacted by a recruiter yet, glad to hear others have not either . . . so it's normal.

In regard to the 60 day thing, I think they just added that because the fall board people didn't have it on their paperwork. Perhaps it is to incentivize people to move through the process intently? But do you guys really think they'll revoke your PR if you're still not through the process in 60 days? I think no, but who really knows?

Lol, if the military revoked your PR just because they took over 60 days to commission you, they'd be getting rid of a lot of acceptees.

So, we've talked S. Goodman; 1st) A huge Congrats. I remember you, you deserved it.

2nd) I'm commissioning this Friday (05/15) & I was PRed from the Fall 2014 Board. That should say it all . . . welcome to the USN.

But here's was my timeline to calm your nerves. I was told this process should take 3-months.

I was accepted 12/9/14, accepted the PR 12/18/14. I contacted around looking for a recruiter. In late 01/15 I was put in contact with one finally. MEPS (medical processing) took 12-hours on a day early-02/15. My packet was sent to Navy-Recruiting late 02/15. My COMDOCS (commissioning documents) came down from Congress (apparently this is a thing) 04/15 & was approved by SECDEF (also apparently a thing) in 04/15 as well. My recruiter set up an officer to commission me 05/15.

So in total 5+months from acceptance to commissioning date.

Shinto, congratulations on your upcoming commission! How exciting to kick off the summer with that.

Five months seems like a long time for everything. Did you have to go through the waiver process, or was that without any medical problems holding you back? And if you had to go through the waiver process, could you please share your experiences? i.e. what injury, what steps you had to take, if you were denied a waiver and then they changed their minds, etc.

If you’d rather PM me, I’d welcome that too. Thank you!

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Wed May 13, 2015 8:07 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:Shinto, congratulations on your upcoming commission! How exciting to kick off the summer with that.

Five months seems like a long time for everything. Did you have to go through the waiver process, or was that without any medical problems holding you back? And if you had to go through the waiver process, could you please share your experiences? i.e. what injury, what steps you had to take, if you were denied a waiver and then they changed their minds, etc.

Thanks. And no, no waiver. My recruiter told me to clean out my ears, because apparently MEPS gets picky and will could send you home. The doctor did note my back arches a bit to much forward and my chest dives in a bit too much. I've never had pain or anything, but they insisted on writing it down anyway. It wasn't disqualifying but they noted it. I always find tall lanky ectomorphs like me have those features.

My question is why note it at all? I guess it's just in-case something related happens down the road. Really it seemed to mean: "Hey kid, you look weird. It's not a problem, but we're just saying you don't look normal. Have a nice day!"

So why mention it then? Just to inform me of my nonconformities apparently. Lol, I had a good time in my head with that.

But that was it.

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:22 pm

shintopig wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:Shinto, congratulations on your upcoming commission! How exciting to kick off the summer with that.

Thanks. And no, no waiver. My recruiter told me to clean out my ears, because apparently MEPS gets picky and will could send you home. The doctor did note my back arches a bit to much forward and my chest dives in a bit too much. I've never had pain or anything, but they insisted on writing it down anyway. It wasn't disqualifying but they noted it. I always find tall lanky ectomorphs like me have those features.

My question is why note it at all? I guess it's just in-case something related happens down the road. Really it seemed to mean: "Hey kid, you look weird. It's not a problem, but we're just saying you don't look normal. Have a nice day!"

So why mention it then? Just to inform me of my nonconformities apparently. Lol, I had a good time in my head with that.

But that was it.

I know you don't actually have any questions about MEPS, since you've been PQ'd, but the chest comments are just some of those things that the docs write down as they go, so they can make the final decision at the end whether to PQ or not.

And they will send you home if your ears aren't cleaned out, in a sense. If they can't see your eardrums, they technically can't say for sure whether your eardrums are damaged. But it's not like they send you home and tell you to wait another month and come back--they just give you a form of medical deficiency saying you're PQ'd except this one thing, and then you go and get your ears cleaned, and have the PA/doctor who does it write a note saying they're clean, and there's no eardrum damage, etc., and then you get PQ'd.

If anyone else has questions about medical stuff and is worried that something will be an issue, I highly recommend browsing the medical forums at airwarriors.com. It's a site that's mostly for naval aviation applicants to ask questions about the process (kind of like this thread, but for SNAs and NFOs).They probably don't let you post unless you're applying to be a line officer, but the medical requirements are even stricter for SNAs and NFOs, so they've asked literally everything you can think of at this point. Just find the right thread and your question will probably be answered.

Separate question for Shintopig--are you a current 3L / SP selectee? I don't know the ins and outs of SP, but wouldn't it not really be high priority to get SP selectees commissioned quickly, since you have to wait until you pass the bar to start anyway? The detailer told DA selectees that they would be commissioned this fiscal year, so hopefully they can make it faster if they need to.
Last edited by Navy2015 on Wed May 13, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed May 13, 2015 8:33 pm

shintopig wrote:

Thank you! I definitely was not expecting it on my first application! I feel so incredibly fortunate and honored to have been selected!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed May 13, 2015 8:42 pm

Navy2015 wrote: I don't know the ins and outs of SP, but wouldn't it not really be high priority to get SP selectees commissioned quickly, since you have to wait until you pass the bar to start anyway?

Asked about this on the phone when inquiring about the 60 day thing and how that was worrisome for me. The reason the LCDR gave me was that they need to know which of the selects will commission and which won't so they can let the alternates know. Only reason she gave for the urgency.

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:33 am

Question, probably an obvious one--do I have to switch my bar status from inactive to active? I'm not sure how many states have inactive status options, but the one I took the bar in did, so I've been using it. I won't be practicing in that state, but do I need to switch to active anyway?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu May 14, 2015 10:09 am

You will need to switch to active. Every year or so we have to send in documentation that we are active and licensed to practice law. I think it has something to do with http://www.stripes.com/news/top-air-force-lawyer-relieved-of-command-1.57765

BiggestJer

Postby BiggestJer » Thu May 14, 2015 10:42 am

S. Goodman wrote:

Also by the way, apparently we can reach out and find our own officer recruiter before being assigned one by recruiting command. This might speed the process up a little. This information is from the accessions detailer.

However, I'd honestly feel more comfortable waiting to be assigned a recruiter, rather than trying to find one to do it for me. I feel as though perhaps if I'm assigned one they'll feel more obligated to help me since I was assigned to them. Irrational fear I'm sure, but law students are good at that. Lol I also don't mind waiting.

FWIW, I was told by JAG accessions that I could reach out to a recruiter on my own (I'm a DA, so she encouraged me to do this since there's a bit of a time crunch). I've reached out to the local recruiter, and begun gathering medical records for the medical pre-screen. Docs can be slow about getting you adequate records, so I'm glad I reached out the recruiter before they appointed a recruiter to work with me so I could get the ball rolling early.

BiggestJer

Postby BiggestJer » Thu May 14, 2015 10:45 am

Does anyone have any idea of the timing of ODS and Naval Justice School? Once ODS is complete, do we stay in Newport and go right into NJS, or is there a gap? If so, how long is it typically until NJS starts?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu May 14, 2015 11:48 am

This won't be very helpful to you since you are DA - but for most student applicants they send you to ODS in August after you complete the bar. You typically attend NJS either in October or Jan depending on when your state releases bar results. They generally want you to have bar results by 1 Oct to attend the Oct NJS course. For DA, I would reach out to the accessions officer, my guess is that they would try to get you into the class that starts Aug - probably why they are pushing you to commission fast, so you can go to ODS soonest.

BiggestJer

Postby BiggestJer » Thu May 14, 2015 12:56 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:This won't be very helpful to you since you are DA - but for most student applicants they send you to ODS in August after you complete the bar. You typically attend NJS either in October or Jan depending on when your state releases bar results. They generally want you to have bar results by 1 Oct to attend the Oct NJS course. For DA, I would reach out to the accessions officer, my guess is that they would try to get you into the class that starts Aug - probably why they are pushing you to commission fast, so you can go to ODS soonest.

Please forgive my ignorance (my accessions officer is on vacation, so I'm scrambling to find some answers to the constant barrage of questions from my wife), but if there's a gap between ODS and NJS for either SA or DA, what happens in between that time? Are you working/getting paid?

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:49 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:You will need to switch to active. Every year or so we have to send in documentation that we are active and licensed to practice law. I think it has something to do with http://www.stripes.com/news/top-air-force-lawyer-relieved-of-command-1.57765

Crazy article. I'm a member in good standing, even though it's been on inactive since passing. When do I need to switch it over by? Or should I just do it right away? I'll have to figure out what the actual CLE requirements are... Christ. Thanks for the info.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu May 14, 2015 2:54 pm

BiggestJer wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance (my accessions officer is on vacation, so I'm scrambling to find some answers to the constant barrage of questions from my wife), but if there's a gap between ODS and NJS for either SA or DA, what happens in between that time? Are you working/getting paid?

As far as I understand it, you go home after ODS until you get passing bar results. You'd probably be back in IRR status, so no pay.

If anyone knows any better please chime in.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Thu May 14, 2015 3:06 pm

Navy2015 wrote:Separate question for Shintopig--are you a current 3L / SP selectee? I don't know the ins and outs of SP, but wouldn't it not really be high priority to get SP selectees commissioned quickly, since you have to wait until you pass the bar to start anyway? The detailer told DA selectees that they would be commissioned this fiscal year, so hopefully they can make it faster if they need to.

Student program. So yeah that does make sense. It is a little annoying though.

I was told our first assignment location is given based on your commissioning order for that year.

So essentially, whoever first in line get's their choice in duty location, and they fill up the assignments in that order.

Thus, of course I'd wanna be commissioned fast and be more likely to get my one of my more preferred choices.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu May 14, 2015 3:31 pm

Saul is right, you essentially get activated for ODS, as an Ensign and at the conclusion of ODS you get deactivated. Once you come to NJS, you will start getting paid as a LTJG and you will not have any further breaks in pay. It kind of sucks, because most of the rest of the Navy does not have to play that game.

Regarding the In Good Standing Question. The very latest that you want to have it switched over is by the end of NJS. However, that would be cutting it close, I would recommend going into NJS in good standing. The registrar at NJS will ask for it pretty early on. You don't want to hit any snags in the beginning. Worst case scenario is that they won't let you start NJS without the active in good standing and you have to wait a couple more months.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu May 14, 2015 4:14 pm

Hey, what did you guys do for the photo you need to submit with your application? Did you just have a friend snap a picture against a plain background or did you actually get a professional to shoot it?

BiggestJer

Postby BiggestJer » Thu May 14, 2015 5:06 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Hey, what did you guys do for the photo you need to submit with your application? Did you just have a friend snap a picture against a plain background or did you actually get a professional to shoot it?

I just had my wife take a picture against a plain wall. The others applicants I know of have done the same.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu May 14, 2015 9:13 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Hey, what did you guys do for the photo you need to submit with your application? Did you just have a friend snap a picture against a plain background or did you actually get a professional to shoot it?

I went to a professional photographer in a suit for mine. I wanted to make my application package the best it could possibly be.

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Fri May 15, 2015 9:39 am

BiggestJer wrote:

I just had my wife take a picture against a plain wall. The others applicants I know of have done the same.

Hey, me too. (high five)

killingnoise

Postby killingnoise » Mon May 18, 2015 3:23 pm

What is the difference between the Student Program & the Direct Ascension? Or DA, couldn't quite remember what it stood for.

killingnoise

Postby killingnoise » Mon May 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Also, on the GI Bill.

Primarily interested in this as a benefit of service, not as an attraction to server - if you guys can dig that.

What length of service is required to qualify for 100% funding? & would it fund a Law + MBA joint degree?

BiggestJer

Postby BiggestJer » Mon May 18, 2015 5:04 pm

killingnoise wrote:What is the difference between the Student Program & the Direct Ascension? Or DA, couldn't quite remember what it stood for.

Student Program goes into JAG directly out of law school, and Direct Appointment is for experienced attorneys.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon May 18, 2015 9:43 pm

killingnoise wrote:
Primarily interested in this as a benefit of service, not as an attraction to server - if you guys can dig that.

Um what? You need to proofread before you post if you'd like coherent responses.

killingnoise wrote:
What length of service is required to qualify for 100% funding? & would it fund a Law + MBA joint degree?

It is on a sliding scale, I believe three years of active duty service gets you 100% of the Gi-Bill. But you cannot sign a contract in any branch of the military (for active duty) for three years. For enlisted, which is what you'd be without a college degree, the contracts are all eight years . . . four on active duty, and four in the Inactive Ready Reserve.

Any less than three years, and the percentage of funding you get goes down accordingly. Look online, I'm sure you can find the scale.

The amount of your tuition that the Gi-bill will pay is capped for out of state students at public schools, and for private schools. It is unlimited if you are paying in state tuition at a public university. You only have four academic (three calender) years of Gi-Bill total, so if the JD/MBA program is four years and you have not used any of your Gi-Bill, and have served at least three years on active duty, then yes the entire program would be covered. Unless you are at a private school, or paying out of state tuition at a in-state school, in which case the Gi-Bill funding amount is capped by the VA. You can find the limits online.

Your questions would be better suited for another forum. This forum is for law students who have applied, will apply, or who are considering applying for Navy Jag, the other military law forum is for the same but just for other branches of the military. (I.e. 1L's, 2L's, and 3L's). You are a freshman in undergraduate college, not a law student. The information here does not pertain to you. By the time you are ready to apply to any jag (at least six years from now) all of this information will be outdated and new information will be available that will be much more helpful and relevant to you.

I don't want to clog up the forum with superfluous Q/A and back and forth banter that doesn't even apply to law students interested in jag, just to you. That breaks down the utility of the forum for law students that really need it.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Tue May 19, 2015 9:55 am

S. Goodman wrote:
killingnoise wrote:

Um what? You need to proofread before you post if you'd like coherent responses.

Hah. bump.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”