Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Fed_Atty

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed May 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Admirals just released info on the latest board:

45 Student Program and 17 DA Professional Recommendations from 351 Candidates approximately an 18 percent selection rate.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed May 06, 2015 12:58 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:Admirals just released info on the latest board:

45 Student Program and 17 DA Professional Recommendations from 351 Candidates approximately an 18 percent selection rate.

Thanks for this information, pretty competitive board!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed May 06, 2015 1:26 pm

That DA number has certainly grown a lot over the last few years, huh?

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:37 pm

17? Now I don't feel so special.

Anyway, I would say that I know a pretty decent amount about ODS--not really anything obscure, but I've seen it in person for a month or so (as an outside observer, not participant). So questions about what it's actually like, I might be able to help.

I will say--being a staff officer involves a lot of sacrifices, just like all servicemembers, but the training for Navy ODS itself is certainly not intense. The line officers at OCS call it camp sunshine, and OCS isn't really that hard either (all officer programs in the Navy are much more class-heavy than what you think of for boot camp or basic or anything).

But it makes sense. These are doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc. The Navy isn't going to attract enough of them if they ask them to give up extremely lucrative jobs for a huge pay cut, and also we are going to beat the hell out of you for the privilege of joining. They care more that you know your stuff and behave like a naval officer in customs and etc. You don't get held back if you can't pass the PFA when you get there, and no one is screaming in your face and making you be ballistic back with them. In a way, the last part (that ballistics aren't required) is a shame, because that is exactly what breaks officer candidates out of their normal routine and allows them to lose their inhibitions and give in to the training.

But, again, that makes sense. The people training you are senior enlisted. Technically, you outrank them before you even arrive as an ODS student, unlike OCS. Now, I'm not even remotely saying you should feel superior to them or assume you know anything more than they do, or resist the training they give you at all. They are the best people to learn from. I'm just saying that's technically why the training is fundamentally different.

London JAG

Postby London JAG » Wed May 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Hello everyone, I've been professionally recommended for the DA Program and I'm hoping someone on here can tell me exactly what that means. More specifically, my concern is the application for commission. My two questions are:

1. Does the application for commission involve another selection board? and
2. What are the chances of being selected for commission?

Some of what I've read online sounds like all we need to do now is pass medical and background checks and other stuff I've read sounds like it's an invitation to apply and a board will now consider its most qualified applicants based on school, test scores, etc., PLUS medical and background.

I'm extremely excited and anxious at the same time so any light that can be shed on these topics would be gratefully appreciated!

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed May 06, 2015 7:01 pm

I believe that once you get to that stage, the only thing that will prevent you from getting commissioned is failing the medical or background checks. Granted, for some people those are big hurdles, but assuming you do clear them, you're in. You don't need to compete again.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu May 07, 2015 12:39 am

Random Q: is there a remotely significant JAG presence at Great Lakes?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu May 07, 2015 5:39 am

There is a RLSO at Great Lakes, about 20 officers, there is also a branch of the DSO, but it is small.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Fri May 08, 2015 6:24 pm

Wow this new format of the forum blows.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat May 09, 2015 1:37 am

S. Goodman wrote:Wow this new format of the forum blows.

Yeah I didn't care for it, either. You can revert back to the old one, FYI.

NavyJAG1 wrote:There is a RLSO at Great Lakes, about 20 officers, there is also a branch of the DSO, but it is small.

Thanks! Is that the type of place it'd be difficult to get stationed?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sat May 09, 2015 2:25 am

los blancos wrote:
Yeah I didn't care for it, either. You can revert back to the old one, FYI?

Please tell me how!!!

EDIT: I figured it out, wow I was seriously ready to abandon this forum all together, that is how bad that change of format was.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Sat May 09, 2015 8:28 am

I think it is pretty easy to get stationed at Great Lakes, it is not in high demand as far as I know.

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Sat May 09, 2015 11:02 am

NavyJAG1 wrote:I think it is pretty easy to get stationed at Great Lakes, it is not in high demand as far as I know.

I know this can be filed under "stop getting ahead of yourself," but can you talk a little bit about which ones are hard to get? From what I understand, after NJS, the first station will be one of the 5 or 6 biggest places in CONUS for 18 months (because they have all 3 of the things you're required to cycle through. Then after that you make a dream sheet like other officers, and they do their usual attempt at matching what you want with what they have, etc. Is that correct?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Sat May 09, 2015 11:51 am

Typically, and this is painting in broad strokes, but lots of people want San Diego, Hawaii and some want Europe. You are correct that you will most likely go to one of nine RLSOs for your first tour. In the past, you would get a call from the accessions officer shortly before NJS, and give your preferences. Usually priority is given by commissioning date, so 2Ls have an advantage. Try to get your commission done quickly, if this is what you want. Your cycle through 4 areas for 24 months total - 6 months in each of defense, prosecution, legal assistance and command advice.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat May 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Re: timing of commission: Does that make it any easier for DA applicants to get their choice?

Thanks!

Navy2015

Postby Navy2015 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:13 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:Typically, and this is painting in broad strokes, but lots of people want San Diego, Hawaii and some want Europe. You are correct that you will most likely go to one of nine RLSOs for your first tour. In the past, you would get a call from the accessions officer shortly before NJS, and give your preferences. Usually priority is given by commissioning date, so 2Ls have an advantage. Try to get your commission done quickly, if this is what you want. Your cycle through 4 areas for 24 months total - 6 months in each of defense, prosecution, legal assistance and command advice.

Thanks for the new info. I'm commissioning as fast as they'll let me, of course.

los blancos wrote:Re: timing of commission: Does that make it any easier for DA applicants to get their choice?

Thanks!

What I took from that is that it makes it harder for DA applicants because they're at ODS as the same time as people who commissioned long before they finished law school and took the bar, whereas DA applicants probably just commissioned before ODS. Could be wrong because I have no idea how it works for 2Ls, but I know there are other officers like sub nukes that commission while in school so that the Navy can lock them up / make sure they finish training by threatening to send them to boot camp to pay back the money they made while in school after commissioning.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sat May 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Navy2015 wrote: I'm commissioning as fast as they'll let me, of course.

I haven't been connected with a recruiter yet. I wonder how long it actually takes from start to finish typically. From my understanding there are still people that were selected from the spring board who have not been commissioned yet.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Sat May 09, 2015 5:09 pm

Like so much of the military, it varies. Some recruiting offices are busier than others, for most people the medical seems to take the longest, but sometimes the security clearance drags on. If you happen to be a 2L in the same recruiting office as 3Ls and DAs you will likely be put in the back of the line because there is still plenty of time for you. Don't worry though, every month the flags get a report and want to see people moving through the pipeline

FrogLaw

Postby FrogLaw » Sat May 09, 2015 7:05 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:Admirals just released info on the latest board:

Is there any way we find out the 2L v. 3L breakdown of the 45 SP people?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Sun May 10, 2015 8:40 am

The message from the flags did not provide further breakdown.

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Tue May 12, 2015 10:55 am

Everybody still waiting on getting connected with a recruiter? I'm getting nervous - we have to be done with everything 2 months from yesterday.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue May 12, 2015 12:24 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:Everybody still waiting on getting connected with a recruiter? I'm getting nervous - we have to be done with everything 2 months from yesterday.

I was seriously getting ready to post this exact same thing.

I haven't been contacted by a recruiter yet, glad to hear others have not either . . . so it's normal.

In regard to the 60 day thing, I think they just added that because the fall board people didn't have it on their paperwork. Perhaps it is to incentivize people to move through the process intently? But do you guys really think they'll revoke your PR if you're still not through the process in 60 days? I think no, but who really knows?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue May 12, 2015 1:52 pm

This is purely my opinion and does not represent the opinion of the Navy - but I would be very surprised if your PR was revoked because of factors outside your control. What they don't want is people taking their time getting back to recruiters, getting things scheduled etc. Navy Recruiting Command is huge and there are no recruiters specifically dedicated for JAG. Part of the delay is no doubt due to JAG notifying the recruiting command and waiting for the information to flow/trickle down to the applicable recruiting office/recruiter.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed May 13, 2015 5:42 am

JAG Hopeful wrote:Everybody still waiting on getting connected with a recruiter? I'm getting nervous - we have to be done with everything 2 months from yesterday.

Also by the way, apparently we can reach out and find our own officer recruiter before being assigned one by recruiting command. This might speed the process up a little. This information is from the accessions detailer.

However, I'd honestly feel more comfortable waiting to be assigned a recruiter, rather than trying to find one to do it for me. I feel as though perhaps if I'm assigned one they'll feel more obligated to help me since I was assigned to them. Irrational fear I'm sure, but law students are good at that. Lol I also don't mind waiting.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed May 13, 2015 5:45 am

NavyJAG1 wrote:This is purely my opinion and does not represent the opinion of the Navy - but I would be very surprised if your PR was revoked because of factors outside your control. What they don't want is people taking their time getting back to recruiters, getting things scheduled etc. Navy Recruiting Command is huge and there are no recruiters specifically dedicated for JAG. Part of the delay is no doubt due to JAG notifying the recruiting command and waiting for the information to flow/trickle down to the applicable recruiting office/recruiter.

This seems logical. Hopefully this is the case and they don't start taking people's PR's because of scheduling and such, that would be devastating.

As always, thanks for the insider information/opinion Navyjag1.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”