Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ShockTop

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by ShockTop » Fri May 01, 2015 3:53 pm

zot1 wrote:
Rambo152 wrote:Just updated for me. Not professionally recommended.
Not sure where I went wrong. Oh well.

Congrats to those of you that did get PR'd, though.
Don't beat yourself up. I spoke to an officer earlier this year who told me: "Last board we picked ~50 people. We could have thrown those 50 apps in the trash and been able to get 50 more apps with the same outstanding credentials."

In short, competition is tough. If this is what you want to do, just keep at it, it'll happen eventually.
For those that didn't get picked, keep at it if this is what you want to do. It took me 5 tries over 3 years to get selected this time around.

FrogLaw

New

Post by FrogLaw » Fri May 01, 2015 5:55 pm

For those that got PRed, did y'all just get a congratulatory phone call, or did you get a more substantive one (instructions about meeting a recruiter, etc) as well? I was told to expect a second phone call but never got one. Maybe its coming Monday?

jjm123

New

Post by jjm123 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:10 pm

FrogLaw wrote:For those that got PRed, did y'all just get a congratulatory phone call, or did you get a more substantive one (instructions about meeting a recruiter, etc) as well? I was told to expect a second phone call but never got one. Maybe its coming Monday?
I received a phone call in the late afternoon and was told there would be a substantive email coming Monday.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Sun May 03, 2015 7:10 pm

FrogLaw wrote:For those that got PRed, did y'all just get a congratulatory phone call, or did you get a more substantive one (instructions about meeting a recruiter, etc) as well? I was told to expect a second phone call but never got one. Maybe its coming Monday?
So I wanted to write a follow up post, now that the celebration and shock has settled a bit after these spring board results.

First, I would like to echo the other posters congratulations to those that got professionally recommended. And to those who did not get it this time, I'm sure you will next time! And if not, apply again! If this is what you really want it, it will happen sooner or later.

Someone PM'd me asking to share some insight on the interviewing process, and if I had any suggestions. They also asked me to keep the forum updated throughout the medical clearing process and beyond. I thought for posterity purposes it would be best to post it on the open forum so everyone would have the benefit of being a part of the conversation, and have a chance to chime in as well. I have received a lot from this forum and I'd really like to give back and pay it forward.

Moreover, I think it would be a good idea for everyone who got PR'd this board (and last Fall 2014) to post a snap shot of their stats. I believe this will serve two valuable purposes, (1) give the people not PR'd on this board an idea of where exactly they fell in regard to competition, and how they can improve for next board. (2) And provide future board applicants the ability to look back through the forum posts and see how the makeup of this board was so they may analyze their own chances for a PR.

In regard to the Navy interview process, I can't really provide much insight or advice. The questions are designed to get your off the cuff responses, there is no real meaningful way to prepare for it. These questions are (I felt at least) designed to determine how good of a leader you are, if you'd make a good naval officer, if you're going to be a strong attorney, and if you can handle the military lifestyle.

Although the Navy wants these questions to be objectively based and graded, I still feel as though there is a strong subjective element involved. How your interviewers interpret your rambling answer is certainly subjective, and whether or not they like (or respect) you is bound to play a part in how they grade your answers. So respect them and carry yourself well and you'll likely get a warm and respectful response in return.

In regard to your answers, take your time and think about the question and answer. I don't believe you are penalized for how long you take and it is best to jot down notes and outline your answer before you respond. Your interviewers are not going to respond whatsoever to your answer, they will simply take notes. They will let you answer for as long as you want and then move on to the next question. Simply be respectful, articulate, concise if possible, and think carefully about your answers, and you'll likely receive a good result.

One more quick word about respect. The military holds respect in a very high regard; your interviewers are naval officers. They are not your peers, they are your superiors. So "yeah" or "man" or "dude" isn't appropriate. Although they are likely not to call you on it because you are a civilian, they will surely take note of it. You're trying to be a naval officer, and being an officer in the U.S. Military is a HUGE responsibility. You have a lot of men who will be looking to you for your leadership. They will try to emulate your example, so you need to set a good one. You need to be locked and cocked and show your interviewers you can handle the extraordinary privilege of being a military officer. Furthermore, the correct response to a male officer is “sir,” and if you have a female officer interviewing you it will be “ma’am.” This is just a word to the wise and you’re free to do what you like, the prior service guys here are obviously already aware of these common military courtesies. Although your interviewers may seem relaxed and friendly, do not forget what they are, and where you are. The military is a serious organization, so take it seriously. In short, demonstrate and maintain discipline.

My Stats:
Board PR’d for: Spring 2015 Navy SP Board
2L at a T25 (Transfer from low T2)
Top 25% at T2; fell to top 50% when I transferred to the T25
Undergrad GPA: 3.9 LSAT: 155

LOR’s: one law school professor from transfer school, one from prior supervisor at district attorney’s office from 1L summer, one from a prior enlisted military supervisor (E-6, SSgt), and one from prior military officer supervisor (0-3, Mustang Captain (prior E-7))

Softs: prior enlisted Marine Corps … active duty (2008-2012); strong interest both expressed and demonstrated in the military and public service.

Jags Applied to/ and why: This was my first Jag board I applied to for any branch; I didn’t apply 2L Fall to the Navy. I had a strong interest in the Navy because of its close relationship with the Marines; I wanted to stay in the family so to speak. I did not want to go back into the Marines because of how poorly they treat their people, and because of their small size promotion and retention was a very valid concern of mine. I want to do the full 20 years, so I had some long term considerations when picking which Jag Corps I wanted to try for. For me, it was either the Navy or the Army, but I just happened to get the Navy before I could apply to the Army. I am very happy I got the Navy, and will never have to apply to the Army. Not because I don’t like the Army. But because I know a lot more about the Navy because of my affiliation with the Marines, and I really want to still be involved with my fellow Marines in some capacity.

In regard to the application process . . . so far I have received one congratulatory phone call from the Navy accessions detailer. From my understanding we will be receiving an email next week regarding what to expect next. We should get contact from a recruiter in our region, and begin security clearance paperwork and begin working on getting medically cleared. I will continue to check in periodically throughout the process.

jjm123

New

Post by jjm123 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:41 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
So I wanted to write a follow up post, now that the celebration and shock has settled a bit after these spring board results.

First, I would like to echo the other posters congratulations to those that got professionally recommended. And to those who did not get it this time, I'm sure you will next time! And if not, apply again! If this is what you really want it, it will happen sooner or later.

Someone PM'd me asking to share some insight on the interviewing process, and if I had any suggestions. They also asked me to keep the forum updated throughout the medical clearing process and beyond. I thought for posterity purposes it would be best to post it on the open forum so everyone would have the benefit of being a part of the conversation, and have a chance to chime in as well. I have received a lot from this forum and I'd really like to give back and pay it forward.

Moreover, I think it would be a good idea for everyone who got PR'd this board (and last Fall 2014) to post a snap shot of their stats. I believe this will serve two valuable purposes, (1) give the people not PR'd on this board an idea of where exactly they fell in regard to competition, and how they can improve for next board. (2) And provide future board applicants the ability to look back through the forum posts and see how the makeup of this board was so they may analyze their own chances for a PR.

In regard to the Navy interview process, I can't really provide much insight or advice. The questions are designed to get your off the cuff responses, there is no real meaningful way to prepare for it. These questions are (I felt at least) designed to determine how good of a leader you are, if you'd make a good naval officer, if you're going to be a strong attorney, and if you can handle the military lifestyle.

Although the Navy wants these questions to be objectively based and graded, I still feel as though there is a strong subjective element involved. How your interviewers interpret your rambling answer is certainly subjective, and whether or not they like (or respect) you is bound to play a part in how they grade your answers. So respect them and carry yourself well and you'll likely get a warm and respectful response in return.

In regard to your answers, take your time and think about the question and answer. I don't believe you are penalized for how long you take and it is best to jot down notes and outline your answer before you respond. Your interviewers are not going to respond whatsoever to your answer, they will simply take notes. They will let you answer for as long as you want and then move on to the next question. Simply be respectful, articulate, concise if possible, and think carefully about your answers, and you'll likely receive a good result.

One more quick word about respect. The military holds respect in a very high regard; your interviewers are naval officers. They are not your peers, they are your superiors. So "yeah" or "man" or "dude" isn't appropriate. Although they are likely not to call you on it because you are a civilian, they will surely take note of it. You're trying to be a naval officer, and being an officer in the U.S. Military is a HUGE responsibility. You have a lot of men who will be looking to you for your leadership. They will try to emulate your example, so you need to set a good one. You need to be locked and cocked and show your interviewers you can handle the extraordinary privilege of being a military officer. Furthermore, the correct response to a male officer is “sir,” and if you have a female officer interviewing you it will be “ma’am.” This is just a word to the wise and you’re free to do what you like, the prior service guys here are obviously already aware of these common military courtesies. Although your interviewers may seem relaxed and friendly, do not forget what they are, and where you are. The military is a serious organization, so take it seriously. In short, demonstrate and maintain discipline.

My Stats:
Board PR’d for: Spring 2015 Navy SP Board
2L at a T25 (Transfer from low T2)
Top 25% at T2; fell to top 50% when I transferred to the T25
Undergrad GPA: 3.9 LSAT: 155

LOR’s: one law school professor from transfer school, one from prior supervisor at district attorney’s office from 1L summer, one from a prior enlisted military supervisor (E-6, SSgt), and one from prior military officer supervisor (0-3, Mustang Captain (prior E-7))

Softs: prior enlisted Marine Corps … active duty (2008-2012); strong interest both expressed and demonstrated in the military and public service.

Jags Applied to/ and why: This was my first Jag board I applied to for any branch; I didn’t apply 2L Fall to the Navy. I had a strong interest in the Navy because of its close relationship with the Marines; I wanted to stay in the family so to speak. I did not want to go back into the Marines because of how poorly they treat their people, and because of their small size promotion and retention was a very valid concern of mine. I want to do the full 20 years, so I had some long term considerations when picking which Jag Corps I wanted to try for. For me, it was either the Navy or the Army, but I just happened to get the Navy before I could apply to the Army. I am very happy I got the Navy, and will never have to apply to the Army. Not because I don’t like the Army. But because I know a lot more about the Navy because of my affiliation with the Marines, and I really want to still be involved with my fellow Marines in some capacity.

In regard to the application process . . . so far I have received one congratulatory phone call from the Navy accessions detailer. From my understanding we will be receiving an email next week regarding what to expect next. We should get contact from a recruiter in our region, and begin security clearance paperwork and begin working on getting medically cleared. I will continue to check in periodically throughout the process.
PR'd this spring. It was my first Navy board. Didn't get Air Force GLP or OYCP, was an Army alternate selected for AD. As for the interview, all I did to prep was think of concrete examples of why I would make an good officer, although I did not feel very confident coming out of it so who knows how I did. I did NOT do moot court, trial ad, or any "court room experience" classes. No prior service or major family service.

Top %20 at a T50. 159 LSAT
Law Review, editor position
3 publications
President of a student org.
Letter of rec from retired 0-6 who was a prior supervisor, among other typical letters of rec.
DoD OGC internship and a clearance
About 4 other fed internships as well (DHS, DOJ, etc.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Sun May 03, 2015 9:34 pm

I also was PRd this spring on my second board to the Navy as a 2L. Here's my stats:

Undergrad: 3.96/4.00, class rank 8/389 - small, liberal arts college, History (Departmental Honors) and Government/International Affairs majors, Political Philosophy and Classics minors
Law school: school ranking between 50-60, GPA 7.64/9.0, class rank 8/124
LSAT: 161, 83%
LORs: 1 Navy JAG CAPT, 2 Navy JAG LTs, 1 law school professor, 1 attorney supervisor
1L Navy JAG Internship
Soft stats: public service through public interest fundraising (ending malaria, digging wells for clean water, church youth work, etc.), Vice President of local chapter of International Law Student Association, Pro Bono work, leadership in student orgs since high school, college fencer
4th generation Naval Officer (hopefully =) )
Didn't apply to any other branches

I know I've posted earlier about being medically disqualified. Now is as good a time as any to caveat that. I've learned recently that I didn't fully understand the system, and while my recruiter was nice, I don't think he understood either.

I apparently did a courtesy review with the Navy (look at Chapter 2 at this link: http://bootcamp4me.org/forum/enlistment ... al-1131-2c). Basically, this is an UN-OFFICIAL look at a professional (JAG, chaplain, doctor, etc.) candidate's medical documents to see if there might be a problem when she/he gets professionally recommended. I had a back injury two years ago and possible arthritis when I was a child. My courtesy review said that further processing was not warranted due to back pain. My recruiter thought that was basically the end of the story, that I would never be in the military. However, it's not. Because it's non-binding and didn't even touch the waiver process, I still have a shot. I'll almost certainly need two waivers, but I'm still in the game.

I'll be posting about the waiver process however it turns out as I go along in the next few months (here, and I think on my blog too), because there was almost no information about JAG-specific candidates and waivers. I know Big Navy controls the process, but I've had friends with problems use their JAG connections to get some strings pulled. I have my fingers crossed, but I know there are no guarantees.
Last edited by JAG Hopeful on Sun May 03, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Sun May 03, 2015 9:48 pm

I think I put my stats out there at some point in the main Military Law topic, but just for the sake of ease of access and continuity:

PR'd Fall 2014 (First Navy board as a 2L; Non-select for AF GLP as a 1L)

169 LSAT
Top 20% at a T14
On a Secondary Journal
LORs: AUSA, Two professors, Retired AF O-5 (personal character/work ethic rec), Former employer
Eagle Scout

1L Summer - USAO

Navy2015

New

Post by Navy2015 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:55 pm

It seems kind of hard to learn much from stats... when people get picked after being denied several times, it's clear that it wasn't that the Navy didn't want them in the first place. You just never know who else is applying, and when there are so few slots, sometimes your stats might not really matter that much. But if it helps others...

PR'd Spring 2015 DA, no other applications to other branches or other Navy JAG boards.

170 LSAT (98%)
Top 10% (3.7#) at Top 30 school.
Main Law Review, but no other meaningful law extra-curriculars.
Top 5% (3.8#) undergrad, Top 20 school I think.
Federal Clerkship, no other law jobs.
Demonstrated past interest in military service.
LOR: Prof, Judge, O-6
Oh, and some language skills. They seem to think that's cool.

Thought the interview went really well. Not typical for me. Guess it helps when you actually want the job. Not sure what advice to give about it--don't try to do too much or be too impressive, just give a substantive answer.

lumberjack12

New

Post by lumberjack12 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:29 pm

Spring 2015 - SP 3L
Top 10% at 25-50 ranked school
155 LSAT
Structured Interview- Felt excellent about it.
Moot court competition
Extensive clinical trial experience
All work experience in public service (before and during law school)
Internship with other military branch
LORs: 0-3, 0-4, 0-5, Supervisors, Profs.
No Journal

First time app. for Navy. Previous non-select from other branches.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Mon May 04, 2015 10:32 am

PR'd Spring 2015 DA
Applied to no other branches. This was my 5th total application to the Navy (3 prior SP, 1 prior DA)

Education:
155 LSAT (64%)
Undergrad: 3.3, PolySci major, Middle Eastern Studies minor, Top 20 college in the USA
Law: 3.38, Top 25 school, not T14
Study Abroad in Law School, GPA 3.5
Moot Court Board
Participant in a couple of student orgs, not leadership of any
2 Navy JAG Internships
LOR: (I had a lot of these) 1 ADM (retired), 3 O-6, 1 O-5 (retired), 1 prof (former judge), 3 supervisor prosecutors, 2 former work supervisors prior to law school, Judge, college lacrosse coach
Academic All-American lacrosse player
I thought my interview went fantastic.

Work/Volunteer/Other:
State Judicial Clerkship
State Prosecutor
Assistant Lacrosse Coach
Local volunteer with animal rescue
Some language skills

S. Mcqueen

New

Post by S. Mcqueen » Mon May 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Hey guys long time lurker first time poster here. I just wanted to post my stats to demonstrate they are only part of the equation when deciding on who to recommend.

2L PR'd Spring 2015 SP, second application to the Navy, previously turned down for Air Force GLP

160 LSAT
Top 30%-40%ish (3.3#) at T3 school (was T2)
Full tuition scholarship
Main Law Review, President of a student organization, Moot Court, Domestic Violence Project Student Co-Director, Student TA for legal writing
Took a Military Law Course

Cum Laude (3.6) undergrad, private liberal arts school
Previous Leadership Experience in College
State Appellate Internship 1L, State Appellate Externship 2L,
LOR: Two Prof, State Appellate Judge, Ret. Air Force JAG LT. Col.
Basic language skills

I thought the interview went really well. I know that I had a great personal statement for the application. I was also picked up for the Navy Internship this summer.

FrogLaw

New

Post by FrogLaw » Mon May 04, 2015 1:51 pm

Adding to the stats:

PRed for Spring 2015
2L at a top 15 school
166 LSAT
Law school GPA right at median; 3.81/Magna Cum Laude undergrad
First Navy board, previously applied and did not receive an internship with the AF
Mock Trial team, Secondary Journal, Leadership position in a law school organization, Currently intern at the state legislature, quite a bit of of community service/pro bono experience (including volunteering at a Veteran's Legal Clinic)
Studying abroad 3L year
Interned at a district attorney's office 1L summer
My letters of rec were from: A former Capt. in Army JAG Corps. (now an adjunct professor), Current AF JAG Capt, a District Attorney, and three former employers.

My "congratulatory call" specifically said that my LORs were the most impressive part of my application and they really made me stand out, so keep that in mind for those applying in the future.

Also, for what its worth, I have no prior military experience, nor do I come from a military family at all.

caseyjo1988

New

Post by caseyjo1988 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:03 pm

PR'd DA this Spring (first time applying), here's my stats:

Law School: T20, 3.3** GPA, Dean's List, Dean's Award for several classes
LSAT: 71%
Undergrad (I have two degrees): BA in International Relations and Comparative Politics (4.0); BS in Legal Studies (3.799) (both from State school)
LORs: 2 professors (had classes with and work for), 1 from current employer (Legal Fellow for Medical School)--> all of them were glowing
Summer Jobs: European Parliament (Policy & Legal Trainee); RA
Bar Admission: New York
Post Law School Job: Legal Fellow at Medical School's Alzheimer's Disease Research Center, RA
Law School Activities: Int'l Law Review (EME), IHL Moot Court involvement, IHL Clinic where I worked with JAGs, and involved in several other groups
College Activities: Honors College, Leadership in SGA, Sorority, and several other groups
Publications: one is secondary journal, 2 in European peer-reviewed journals, 2 booklets, honors thesis
Community Work: Veteran's Legal Clinic and Election protection supervisor

Soft stats: Multi-lingual, Certified Open Water Scuba Diver since I was 13, Worked through college as a fitness instructor and runner (where I was employee of the year), took part in ICRC Humanitarian law workshops
Random Tid bits: My late grandfather was a Naval officer during WWII, didn't apply to any other branches, well traveled

Lastly, I had a very strong interview that I was well-prepared for. Best interview I've ever had.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dani2920

New

Post by Dani2920 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:58 pm

Congrats to all selected for the Spring 2015 board!!!! Feel free to message me with any questions about the commissioning process, I'm glad to help if I can. For those not selected this time, definitely apply again. With such varied acceptance rates from board to board, your chances may improve greatly next go round.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Tue May 05, 2015 1:56 am

Thanks all for your participation in providing your acceptance stats for others to compare themselves to. You all were certainly stiff competition no doubt!

In regard to the application process, I received an email today with more detailed information about the process and what to expect. It was congratulatory in nature, but it also included specifics regarding the process. I have not been contacted by a recruiter yet. No other updates so far. I will edit this post later with the content of the letter itself minus any sensitive or personal information.

Edit ***

This is the email I received today, all identifying information has been omitted. (Monday May 4th, 2015) (I found out I was PR'd Friday May 1st 2015)

"CONGRATULATIONS! You have been professionally recommended for selection and commission in the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps (JAGC) Student Program.

We have spoken to most of you over the phone already, but please do not hesitate to call or email me or Mrs. Shannon Collins (cc'd) at any time if you have any questions/issues/concerns.

Attached is your professional recommendation notification. Please read carefully and comply with stated instructions. I will email you the name of your local Navy Officer Programs recruiter when identified and will also send you other forms you will need to get started.

Communication is vital! Please keep us updated on any change in your status (i.e. contact info, marriage, etc.).

Thank you and again, congratulations on your professional recommendation to the U.S. Navy JAGC!

Please confirm receipt of this email."

**** This was the attachment:

To: Professionally Recommended Applicant

Subj: PROFESSIONAL RECOMMENDATION FOR THE NAVY JUDGE ADVOCATE
GENERAL’S (JAG) CORPS

1. Congratulations! You have been professionally recommended for selection and commission in the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General's (JAG) Corps Student Program, to begin active duty in Fiscal Year ****. You should be proud of this professional recommendation. The board was very competitive and this recommendation is the first step towards becoming a Navy JAG Corps officer.

2. Acceptance/declination deadline. You have until 5:00 P.M. Central time on 11 May 2015 to accept or decline this recommendation, in writing (email is sufficient). Declination or failure to respond will result in loss of your Professional Recommendation.

3. Commissioning. The next step is to work with a Navy Officer Programs Recruiter to complete the application process. Please provide the address you will be residing at during the commissioning process so we can assign you to a Navy Recruiting District for that area. Once identified, please contact the Officer Programs Officer immediately to begin working on your commissioning application.

b. You have 60 days from 11 May 2014 (although sooner is always better) to work with your recruiter to complete and submit the following information:

(1) Application for Navy commission

(2) Navy Accession Security Information System (NASIS) questionnaire

(3) Physical examination with the Medical Entrance Processing Station (MEPS)

c. Please note that all applicants for a Navy commission, regardless of program or professional specialty, must meet the same physical requirements. Should you not meet those requirements, you will be deemed Not Physically Qualified (NPQ) for commissioning. In the event of an NPQ determination, you will not be processed further and you will lose your Professional Recommendation.

d. If you do meet all the requirements for commissioning, you will receive a Final Selection letter from the Commander, Navy Recruiting Command, after your appointment has been confirmed by the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

(1) Once you are Finally Selected and confirmed, your commissioning documents will be sent to your recruiter.

(2) After you have accepted your commission, ask your Navy recruiter to forward your commissioning documents to my office. We will then send you a “Welcome Aboard” email with specific information about what to expect next.

4. Contact information. You can reach the JAG Corps Accessions office at (901) 874-4084/4087. Please keep us informed of your progress through the commissioning process, and let us know if you have any questions along the way. If your plans change and you no longer want to pursue a commission in the Navy JAG Corps, please let us know immediately. We look forward to working with you!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue May 05, 2015 9:01 am

Just checking in. Might be a DA applicant in the fall. Congrats to everyone who got good news.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Tue May 05, 2015 4:20 pm

los blancos wrote:Just checking in. Might be a DA applicant in the fall. Congrats to everyone who got good news.

Good luck on your potential application! I'm sure if you have any questions someone here on this forum can meaningfully respond!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Wed May 06, 2015 12:13 am

So the next board isn't for awhile . . .

In the mean time, anyone know anything about ODS?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed May 06, 2015 12:46 am

S. Goodman wrote:
los blancos wrote:Just checking in. Might be a DA applicant in the fall. Congrats to everyone who got good news.

Good luck on your potential application! I'm sure if you have any questions someone here on this forum can meaningfully respond!
thanks! I'm sure I will.

I'm reading there was no DA in Fall 2014 - does that mean I'd have to wait until next spring to apply?

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Wed May 06, 2015 8:10 am

S. Goodman wrote:So the next board isn't for awhile . . .

Bunch of great blogs out there about everything. Basically, if you can handle little sleep, long lectures, and tight bed making, you'll do okay :) Any more specific questions?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed May 06, 2015 9:52 am

My wife went through it (not as a JAG.) If you handled Marine boot camp, ODS will be a breeze for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Wed May 06, 2015 10:11 am

los blancos wrote:
I'm reading there was no DA in Fall 2014 - does that mean I'd have to wait until next spring to apply?

I'm not too knowledgeable on DA applicants as I was an SP. Hopefully a DA will chime in?

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Wed May 06, 2015 10:17 am

Historically there has only been one DA board per year, in the Spring. DAs can start almost immediately, provided that they can pass the medical. Therefore, it makes sense to select them in the Spring when the demands for the next fiscal year are known.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Wed May 06, 2015 10:21 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:

My wife went through it (not as a JAG.) If you handled Marine boot camp, ODS will be a breeze for you.
JAG Hopeful wrote:
Bunch of great blogs out there about everything. Basically, if you can handle little sleep, long lectures, and tight bed making, you'll do okay :) Any more specific questions?

No specific questions, I'm not too worried about it either. But because we don't have much else to talk about I was hoping to start a dialogue on something else germane to this process. There is some stuff about it on youtube. And from what I've read it seems pretty straight forward and dare I say ... easy.

MC enlisted boot camp was certainly not easy however. :shock:

I do have a few Marine Corps / Navy specific questions though, I don't think anyone here would know, but it is worth a shot to ask. So, I know I can wear pretty much all my medals and ribbons from the Marine Corps on my Navy uniform. However, (1) can I wear my rifle and pistol badges? And also, I am a brown belt in the Marine Corps Martial Arts program, (2) can I wear my belt in Navy camies as I could in Marine camies?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed May 06, 2015 11:21 am

NavyJAG1 wrote:Historically there has only been one DA board per year, in the Spring. DAs can start almost immediately, provided that they can pass the medical. Therefore, it makes sense to select them in the Spring when the demands for the next fiscal year are known.
Ugh thanks, that probably seals my fate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”