Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
heavymetallover
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby heavymetallover » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Did you call the ID center first or did you just drop by? Also did you need any documentation from the Navy?


I did call first. My location only works three days a week so I'd recommend calling. I'm pretty sure they just said the standard two forms of government ID, but in any case I've got my ODS orders and birth cert/SS card on hand. I think I read somewhere that some locations only take appointments anyway, though, so probably best to call first.

User avatar
shintopig
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby shintopig » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:26 am

S. Goodman wrote:
heavymetallover wrote:Also the photographer collateral is pretty good because you get inspected first and then can walk around not having to stand at attention for a extremely painful long time. Also you get to have your cell phone with you all the time to take photos. All the others are a crap shoot, they can vary in difficulty, but honestly none of them are really too time consuming, except being the Divo. I would steer clear of the Divo spot, PT body, information officer, and Mail officer because of what I've heard. Choose at your own peril.

Any questions just ask!


Lol. Guidon Bearer for the win.

S. Goodman wrote:
Yeah! That can't come fast enough because ODS sucks! lol


Mr. prior Marine, ODS cant' suck that bad in comparison to what you know right? Tedious though, yes.

And NJS is next week anyway; we get our civvies, internet, and alcohol back.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 802
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby usn26 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:02 pm

What is the approximate turnaround from application to pro-rec/rejection? I saw someone heard from the Spring board in May. I assume that means the fall board will turn around in January?

Also, someone please tell me they got picked up after bombing the interview. Not feeling confident after that experience.

User avatar
shintopig
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby shintopig » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:31 pm

usn26 wrote:What is the approximate turnaround from application to pro-rec/rejection? I saw someone heard from the Spring board in May. I assume that means the fall board will turn around in January?

Also, someone please tell me they got picked up after bombing the interview. Not feeling confident after that experience.


I heard back from the Fall '14 board on December 9th.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 802
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby usn26 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:37 pm

shintopig wrote:
usn26 wrote:What is the approximate turnaround from application to pro-rec/rejection? I saw someone heard from the Spring board in May. I assume that means the fall board will turn around in January?

Also, someone please tell me they got picked up after bombing the interview. Not feeling confident after that experience.


I heard back from the Fall '14 board on December 9th.


Oh wow, that's incredibly fast.

There's nothing to do at this point, right? Just sit back and wait?

wg6524
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby wg6524 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:03 pm

usn26 wrote:
shintopig wrote:
usn26 wrote:What is the approximate turnaround from application to pro-rec/rejection? I saw someone heard from the Spring board in May. I assume that means the fall board will turn around in January?

Also, someone please tell me they got picked up after bombing the interview. Not feeling confident after that experience.


I heard back from the Fall '14 board on December 9th.


Oh wow, that's incredibly fast.

There's nothing to do at this point, right? Just sit back and wait?


Pretty much. The anxiety will pick up about the same time as your anxiety for final kicks in. I know the Fall 2015 response came early on during finals.

Ramrezyeh
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Ramrezyeh » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:08 pm

usn26 wrote:
shintopig wrote:
usn26 wrote:What is the approximate turnaround from application to pro-rec/rejection? I saw someone heard from the Spring board in May. I assume that means the fall board will turn around in January?

Also, someone please tell me they got picked up after bombing the interview. Not feeling confident after that experience.


I heard back from the Fall '14 board on December 9th.


Oh wow, that's incredibly fast.

There's nothing to do at this point, right? Just sit back and wait?


Everyone plays it cool right up until after Thanksgiving... then we all refresh our browsers nonstop for 7-10 days.

uvandy
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby uvandy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Based on previous posts on this thread and the other one, it looks like the application deadline for this board was about two weeks earlier than normal. Don't know when the board met/will meet, but I'm hoping the turnaround time remains the same, and we find out before Thanksgiving.

User avatar
Stubbazubba
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:17 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Stubbazubba » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:50 pm

Don't you go getting my hopes up like that.

User avatar
deadthrone7
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:57 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby deadthrone7 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:54 pm

I doubt it. They said 10 weeks. That would bring it out to around Dec. 9.

gwcolonial24
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby gwcolonial24 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:32 pm

deadthrone7 wrote:I doubt it. They said 10 weeks. That would bring it out to around Dec. 9.


For Fall 2015, we didn't find until Dec. 9th.

I found out today that I passed the bar exam. Next stop, Naval Justice School.

The waiting is the worst part.

CharlieAvocado
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby CharlieAvocado » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:32 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:
deadthrone7 wrote:I doubt it. They said 10 weeks. That would bring it out to around Dec. 9.


For Fall 2015, we didn't find until Dec. 9th.

I found out today that I passed the bar exam. Next stop, Naval Justice School.

The waiting is the worst part.


I've heard two different things (from Navy JAGs): 1) That you can't attend NJS until you've passed the bar (aka results in hand), but you can attend ODS. 2) That you can attend ODS AND NJS while still waiting on bar results.

Well I guess I've heard three things: 3) You can't attend either while waiting on bar results. (I've heard this one from people I do not consider qualified to speak on the subject, but I have heard it).

My question is, which is it? Did they not let you attend NJS because you were waiting on results, or did NJS simply not fall where you could take it and so it just happened that you got results first?

CONGRATS ON PASSING THE BAR!!!!!

gwcolonial24
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby gwcolonial24 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:27 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:
gwcolonial24 wrote:
deadthrone7 wrote:I doubt it. They said 10 weeks. That would bring it out to around Dec. 9.


For Fall 2015, we didn't find until Dec. 9th.

I found out today that I passed the bar exam. Next stop, Naval Justice School.

The waiting is the worst part.


I've heard two different things (from Navy JAGs): 1) That you can't attend NJS until you've passed the bar (aka results in hand), but you can attend ODS. 2) That you can attend ODS AND NJS while still waiting on bar results.

Well I guess I've heard three things: 3) You can't attend either while waiting on bar results. (I've heard this one from people I do not consider qualified to speak on the subject, but I have heard it).

My question is, which is it? Did they not let you attend NJS because you were waiting on results, or did NJS simply not fall where you could take it and so it just happened that you got results first?

CONGRATS ON PASSING THE BAR!!!!!


You can attend ODS after completion of your bar examination. However, before you can attend the Basic Lawyer Course at NJS, you must have completed ODS and attained successful bar examination results. (Ref: Guide to the Navy JAG Corps)

User avatar
unsweetened
Posts: 608
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby unsweetened » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:15 pm

December 9... only 5 weeks left of waiting.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:10 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:
You can attend ODS after completion of your bar examination. However, before you can attend the Basic Lawyer Course at NJS, you must have completed ODS and attained successful bar examination results. (Ref: Guide to the Navy JAG Corps)



This is correct, speaking from experience. You may attend ODS while waiting on bar results. You cannot attend NJS until you know if you've passed or not.


Also, I'm at NJS right now; everything is going well! ODS sucked, mostly because being treated like a shlub when you're a lawyer is something that is difficult to come to terms with. However, NJS is pretty fun though! It is nice to finally get to know more about what our jobs are going to be, I'm finally starting to feel like a lawyer. It is also nice to have some money coming in, albeit the incorrect amount. It takes awhile to get your pay sorted, especially if you're prior service! Let us know if you have any questions!

cdemps3
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby cdemps3 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:15 pm

What bar exam did everyone take and why?

I have no real home state right now, so I'm leaning towards a UBE state. I noticed that NJ doesn't have any dues for military lawyers. Anyone have any pointers? Thanks in advance!

gwcolonial24
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby gwcolonial24 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:19 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
gwcolonial24 wrote:
You can attend ODS after completion of your bar examination. However, before you can attend the Basic Lawyer Course at NJS, you must have completed ODS and attained successful bar examination results. (Ref: Guide to the Navy JAG Corps)



This is correct, speaking from experience. You may attend ODS while waiting on bar results. You cannot attend NJS until you know if you've passed or not.


Also, I'm at NJS right now; everything is going well! ODS sucked, mostly because being treated like a shlub when you're a lawyer is something that is difficult to come to terms with. However, NJS is pretty fun though! It is nice to finally get to know more about what our jobs are going to be, I'm finally starting to feel like a lawyer. It is also nice to have some money coming in, albeit the incorrect amount. It takes awhile to get your pay sorted, especially if you're prior service! Let us know if you have any questions!


Did you get orders to NJS before or after giving the Navy a copy of your bar results? I passed the bar exam but I'm still waiting for my results letter.

gwcolonial24
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby gwcolonial24 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Has anyone received NJS orders for the Jan 2017 class?

baileymjd
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby baileymjd » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Does anyone have any info on when the Accessions board will meet/when we will have our results? I'm waking up anxious each morning now... :lol:

User avatar
Stubbazubba
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:17 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Stubbazubba » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:45 pm

baileymjd wrote:Does anyone have any info on when the Accessions board will meet/when we will have our results? I'm waking up anxious each morning now... :lol:


I believe the board has already met, I think sometime in early November, now they're just in the final stages of finalizing and preparing to announce the results. Those are announced/PRs notified ten weeks from the application deadline, which was, what, Sept. 30th? So it should be by Dec. 9th? I'd say a wide window of between 5th and the 16th.

wg6524
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby wg6524 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:20 am

Stubbazubba wrote:
baileymjd wrote:Does anyone have any info on when the Accessions board will meet/when we will have our results? I'm waking up anxious each morning now... :lol:


I believe the board has already met, I think sometime in early November, now they're just in the final stages of finalizing and preparing to announce the results. Those are announced/PRs notified ten weeks from the application deadline, which was, what, Sept. 30th? So it should be by Dec. 9th? I'd say a wide window of between 5th and the 16th.


I've got the 5th marked down as the potential release date, based on last year. It usually posts at the beginning of my school's exam period.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 802
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby usn26 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:32 pm

How does notification usually come in? Last thing I need is news of a nonselect an hour before my exam so I'd like to avoid that (obviously will be avoiding TLS).

Ramrezyeh
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Ramrezyeh » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:47 pm

usn26 wrote:How does notification usually come in? Last thing I need is news of a nonselect an hour before my exam so I'd like to avoid that (obviously will be avoiding TLS).


Prior to last December, it was just a status change on the application site. A switch from "Pending" to "Professionally Recommended" or "Not Professionally Recommended".
Last December they started making phone calls prior to the status change on the website. Phone calls around 12pm, status change around 2-3pm. I don't know if they continued that trend in the Spring.

wg6524
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby wg6524 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:
usn26 wrote:How does notification usually come in? Last thing I need is news of a nonselect an hour before my exam so I'd like to avoid that (obviously will be avoiding TLS).


Prior to last December, it was just a status change on the application site. A switch from "Pending" to "Professionally Recommended" or "Not Professionally Recommended".
Last December they started making phone calls prior to the status change on the website. Phone calls around 12pm, status change around 2-3pm. I don't know if they continued that trend in the Spring.


They at least did that in the spring too. Calls started at 12 PM the day prior to official change over though. I wouldn't worry about getting a phone call before an exam if you're a non-select. You just won't get a call at all. (Trust me)

User avatar
Stubbazubba
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:17 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Stubbazubba » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:18 am

Can confirm based on past practice, unless you're looking for it, bad news won't come find you. Only the good news does. Remember to unsubscribe from this thread, otherwise you'll get a ton of emails that might tip you off.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CharlieAvocado, ptz, wg6524 and 14 guests