Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
joman8390
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby joman8390 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:01 pm

With less than three weeks to go before the start of the October ODS class, has anyone received orders yet?

cal_pushed
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:33 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby cal_pushed » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:18 pm

Still waiting. Anyone know if ultimate duty station listed on ODS orders as well?

cal_pushed
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:33 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby cal_pushed » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:19 pm

joman8390 wrote:With less than three weeks to go before the start of the October ODS class, has anyone received orders yet?


Waiting as well..

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:41 am

cal_pushed wrote:Still waiting. Anyone know if ultimate duty station listed on ODS orders as well?



I got one set for ODS and then another set which contained NJS and ultimate duty station. I received both at the same time.

cal_pushed
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:33 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby cal_pushed » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:36 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cal_pushed wrote:Still waiting. Anyone know if ultimate duty station listed on ODS orders as well?



I got one set for ODS and then another set which contained NJS and ultimate duty station. I received both at the same time.


Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated. Are you Sep or Oct ODS? If you don't mind me asking.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:35 pm

cal_pushed wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
cal_pushed wrote:Still waiting. Anyone know if ultimate duty station listed on ODS orders as well?



I got one set for ODS and then another set which contained NJS and ultimate duty station. I received both at the same time.


Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated. Are you Sep or Oct ODS? If you don't mind me asking.



Yep, I'm there now

FrogLaw
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby FrogLaw » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:56 pm

cal_pushed wrote:
joman8390 wrote:With less than three weeks to go before the start of the October ODS class, has anyone received orders yet?


Waiting as well..


Just got my ODS orders late this afternoon for the October ODS.

cal_pushed
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:33 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby cal_pushed » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:33 pm

FrogLaw wrote:
cal_pushed wrote:
joman8390 wrote:With less than three weeks to go before the start of the October ODS class, has anyone received orders yet?


Waiting as well..


Just got my ODS orders late this afternoon for the October ODS.


that's great! Did you receive order to NJS and your ultimate duty station as well? Were you told verbally where your ultimate duty station was going to be prior to receiving orders? Anyone.

Also, does anyone know what the ODS class after Oct is?

User avatar
JEB
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby JEB » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:43 pm

twenty wrote:How're you cats enjoying ODS so far?


S. Goodman wrote:Yeah! That can't come fast enough because ODS sucks! lol


Amen.

joman8390
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby joman8390 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:48 pm

cal_pushed wrote:
FrogLaw wrote:
cal_pushed wrote:
joman8390 wrote:With less than three weeks to go before the start of the October ODS class, has anyone received orders yet?


Waiting as well..


Just got my ODS orders late this afternoon for the October ODS.


that's great! Did you receive order to NJS and your ultimate duty station as well? Were you told verbally where your ultimate duty station was going to be prior to receiving orders? Anyone.

Also, does anyone know what the ODS class after Oct is?


I just got my orders yesterday as well. No NJS or duty station orders yet. No, I was not verbally informed of my duty station. My understanding is that you don't get your duty station until approximately 60 days before NJS. I'm not sure but I think I think the next ODS class is in January.

joman8390
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby joman8390 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:50 pm

JEB wrote:
twenty wrote:How're you cats enjoying ODS so far?


S. Goodman wrote:Yeah! That can't come fast enough because ODS sucks! lol


Amen.


I'll take that as you're not enjoying it haha

User avatar
deadthrone7
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:57 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby deadthrone7 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Just want to take a moment and thank everybody for sharing all of their experiences thus far. It has been extremely helpful in the process.

I am a prior enlisted 2L and just submitted my first package. Had my SI yesterday, hard to judge how it went. Felt pretty good walking out but who knows. Let the long wait begin!

User avatar
Stubbazubba
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:17 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Stubbazubba » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:00 am

Yeah, let's hear it for all those who are still in the gladiator match still trying to get in! This'll be my third app: fingers are crossed harder than ever.

Voynich
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Voynich » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:11 am

Stubbazubba wrote:Yeah, let's hear it for all those who are still in the gladiator match still trying to get in! This'll be my third app: fingers are crossed harder than ever.


My third app as well, here's hoping this time works out. I've been lurking on this thread for a long time and found it to be extremely helpful.

Ramrezyeh
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Ramrezyeh » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:35 am

Voynich wrote:
Stubbazubba wrote:Yeah, let's hear it for all those who are still in the gladiator match still trying to get in! This'll be my third app: fingers are crossed harder than ever.


My third app as well, here's hoping this time works out. I've been lurking on this thread for a long time and found it to be extremely helpful.



Good luck to all of the applicants this round! Looking forward to seeing who I am going to be with headed to ODS!

cal_pushed
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:33 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby cal_pushed » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:10 pm

Anyone out there know the various startup dates for the BLC at NJS? Thanks.

heavymetallover
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby heavymetallover » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Hey y'all. Hope all is going well. Trying to get ready for October ODS here. Anyone else from here gonna be there? For those already there, if you have some time, I have a few questions and I'd love your insight.

1. Checking In: My orders say I'm to report to training Sunday, October 16th, by noon. I just spoke with the point of contact person at Newport (got the number from the ODS paperwork they sent a few weeks ago) and he said I wouldn't be able to check in Saturday or stay in King Hall that night and would need to make hotel reservations. So I'm just wondering how check in went for y'all. Did you check in on a Sunday morning as well? Do you know if cabs are able to get to King Hall easy enough, as long as it's a cab company with base access? Also, uh, what did you wear to check in? Are jeans fine or is athletic gear better? Not sure what exactly happens on check in day.

2. Packing list: Did you find the packing list here (http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ods_requiredpaperwork.html) to be sufficient? I stumbled across a few other packing lists that said to bring white t shirts, white/black socks, underwear, swimsuit, and towels, but I'm not sure if those are included in your uniform allowance or not.

3. Galley money: I'm a little confused about bring cash for meals. In the paperwork it says enough to get you through the first two weeks. How has reimbursement been working?

4. Graduation: haven't seen anything regarding this and I assume the answer is yes, but are families invited to graduation?

5. Any other advice? Recommendations on collateral duty sign-ups, for example? I hear mail orderly is a good gig :wink: In general I'd love to just hear about your ODS experience and how it went for you, whatever you feel like sharing!

FrogLaw
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby FrogLaw » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:41 pm

heavymetallover wrote:
1. Checking In: My orders say I'm to report to training Sunday, October 16th, by noon. I just spoke with the point of contact person at Newport (got the number from the ODS paperwork they sent a few weeks ago) and he said I wouldn't be able to check in Saturday or stay in King Hall that night and would need to make hotel reservations. So I'm just wondering how check in went for y'all. Did you check in on a Sunday morning as well? Do you know if cabs are able to get to King Hall easy enough, as long as it's a cab company with base access? Also, uh, what did you wear to check in? Are jeans fine or is athletic gear better? Not sure what exactly happens on check in day.



I actually emailed LCDR Gehlen about this yesterday and got a different answer. She said, "You'll be checking in on 15OCT and staying at King Hall that night. Just present your orders and that will take care of it!"

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:08 pm

heavymetallover wrote:Hey y'all. Hope all is going well. Trying to get ready for October ODS here. Anyone else from here gonna be there? For those already there, if you have some time, I have a few questions and I'd love your insight.

1. Checking In: My orders say I'm to report to training Sunday, October 16th, by noon. I just spoke with the point of contact person at Newport (got the number from the ODS paperwork they sent a few weeks ago) and he said I wouldn't be able to check in Saturday or stay in King Hall that night and would need to make hotel reservations. So I'm just wondering how check in went for y'all. Did you check in on a Sunday morning as well? Do you know if cabs are able to get to King Hall easy enough, as long as it's a cab company with base access? Also, uh, what did you wear to check in? Are jeans fine or is athletic gear better? Not sure what exactly happens on check in day.

2. Packing list: Did you find the packing list here (http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ods_requiredpaperwork.html) to be sufficient? I stumbled across a few other packing lists that said to bring white t shirts, white/black socks, underwear, swimsuit, and towels, but I'm not sure if those are included in your uniform allowance or not.

3. Galley money: I'm a little confused about bring cash for meals. In the paperwork it says enough to get you through the first two weeks. How has reimbursement been working?

4. Graduation: haven't seen anything regarding this and I assume the answer is yes, but are families invited to graduation?

5. Any other advice? Recommendations on collateral duty sign-ups, for example? I hear mail orderly is a good gig :wink: In general I'd love to just hear about your ODS experience and how it went for you, whatever you feel like sharing!



Okay, I'll bite. I'm at ODS right now. Some of this will be opinion, and some fact. Others please feel free to chime in. Also, keep in mind that your experience at ODS is heavily dependent on what Chief you have. Some are significantly easier or more difficult than others.

1. Nothing at all really happens on Sunday, aka check in day. You get some paperwork, that's about it. I actually went to outback for dinner Sunday night because we had Liberty once we got briefed on the paperwork. So wear whatever you like, as long as it is "appropriate civilian attire." Whatever that means, likely no one is going to care what you're wearing. Yes, you should be able to stay in King hall of you get here before Sunday. This building is literally, not figuratively, literally filled with empty rooms. You'll be fine. Although, I wouldn't suggest checking in early because King hall sucks. I checked in at 11am on Sunday and I wish I had waited until 5 minutes before noon. King hall has no AC, the beds and linens blow, and you'll be surrounded by people that you may not be comfortable around. So you can get a hotel and enjoy freedom and comfort a little longer, or check in early and save some money, your call.

2. The packing list is fine. If you're missing stuff you can buy it at the exchange, you'll have an opportunity to do that. You get a flat rate uniform allowance regardless of what you buy, so get what you need, don't worry about reimbursement because you won't be getting any. I suggest bringing things that aren't on the list, see item 5 below for that.

3.Again there is no reimbursement per se for meals. You get a flat rate meal allowance regardless of what you actually spend. You have to pay for your meals here. There will be a classmate with the collateral duty of mess treasurer; everyone will pay them, and they will pay the chow hall. All in your meals here cost about $350 total. You'll have access to an ATM if you don't want to bring that much, but follow the guidance and bring at least $200, or whatever it says. It takes awhile to get paid, so you need to make sure you have enough so you're covered.

4. Yes, there is a graduation on Friday morning, and a reception the night before. Families can come, it is about $20 per person because the class has to buy food for the reception. You will be in dress blues for both occasions.

5. This is where a lot of my opinion will come out.

A. So no, the mail guy collateral sucks from what I hear. You actually don't need to even sign up for a collateral technically, there are people in my class who don't have one, although many do. It really depends on how large your class is. But knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have signed up for one. The best ones in my opinion are: swim motivator, this gets you out of PT a lot of mornings, and you get to sleep a little longer because the pool opens a little later than when PT muster usually is. Don't worry about missing PT because it's a joke, but this of course depends on your Chief. But the general consensus is that it is always really easy and pretty much a waste of time if your muscles haven't atrophied from a extreme sedentary lifestyle. Also the photographer collateral is pretty good because you get inspected first and then can walk around not having to stand at attention for a extremely painful long time. Also you get to have your cell phone with you all the time to take photos. All the others are a crap shoot, they can vary in difficulty, but honestly none of them are really too time consuming, except being the Divo. I would steer clear of the Divo spot, PT body, information officer, and Mail officer because of what I've heard. Choose at your own peril.

B. For the love of God, buy your uniforms before you get here. One because the uniform shop is quite possibly the worst in the world, almost making a hobby out of screwing your shit up, but also because it is a major gaggle over there with everyone trying to buy and get fitted for the same shit. Everyone's stuff is jacked up, either they didn't get something, or something is broken, or the tailoring just straight up makes their uniform look like a bag of ass. I'd strongly recommend getting your stuff beforehand. Anything you don't buy beforehand you'll get a chance to get here, you'll still have to go to the uniform shop when everyone else goes, but your trip will be a lot less stressful and your stuff will actually be right. You'll need to buy two sets of khakis, two shirts and two pants. If you don't know how to fit the cover then just wait to buy it here, that's no big deal. Have your pants hemmed by someone that knows the uniform regulations, it is best to do this at a navy base. I'd buy a set of dress blues, again wait on the cover until you get here. Have the tailoring done by a uniform shop that knows the regulation. Try to buy used uniforms from a thrift shop or online before you buy new because they are ridiculously overpriced. Don't wear the unfiforms until you get here and are authorized to wear them by your class leadership!! I wouldn't recommend pre buying anything else other than what has already been mentioned. The stuff that needs tailoring to fit is what is causing the most trouble here.

C. Bring your car if you can. There is a place to park on base and it'll come in handy for the Liberty weekends.

D. Again PT is an absolute joke. Be in good shape and safely within PRT passing range before you get here, because your score is not likely to improve while you're here. You have limited time, until the last two weeks, to PT on your own.

E. For the priors, a lot of stuff is just repeat and honestly you'll feel like it is a major waste of time. Keep in mind that others need to learn, and you're getting paid to be here. Just try to be patient, this will be harder for some than others.

F. Civilian clothes are basically worthless here, you'll never be permitted to wear them, even on Liberty. I'd pack light, however if you bring your car you can just leave a lot of your clothes there. There isn't a lot of space in your wall locker.

G. Bring a small, like twin size, blanket. Unless you're out of your mind, you'll likely sleep on top of your made bed, and use your extra blanket to sleep with. In the morning the blanket goes in your wall locker and it'll only take a few minutes to square away your bed.

Edit: I apologize for any typos, I'm typing on my phone. Also, besides the uniform items I mentioned, I'd wait on everything else. There is a lot of particular uniform items that are up to your chief. Get the tailored stuff beforehand and you'll be way ahead of the curve.

Any questions just ask!

User avatar
deadthrone7
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:57 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby deadthrone7 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:25 am

My god. It sounds like Navy enlisted basic with more freedom. Yet, it somehow sounds less fun and more painful. Iron, fold, stand at attention, PowerPoint, repeat.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby usn26 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:23 am

S. Goodman wrote:Bring a small, like twin size, blanket. Unless you're out of your mind, you'll likely sleep on top of your made bed, and use your extra blanket to sleep with. In the morning the blanket goes in your wall locker and it'll only take a few minutes to square away your bed.


Weren't feelin' the daily hospital corner?

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:07 am

usn26 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Bring a small, like twin size, blanket. Unless you're out of your mind, you'll likely sleep on top of your made bed, and use your extra blanket to sleep with. In the morning the blanket goes in your wall locker and it'll only take a few minutes to square away your bed.


Weren't feelin' the daily hospital corner?



Well we don't get much time to sleep, you'll want every minute you can get. Lol

Ramrezyeh
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Ramrezyeh » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:19 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
heavymetallover wrote:Hey y'all. Hope all is going well. Trying to get ready for October ODS here. Anyone else from here gonna be there? For those already there, if you have some time, I have a few questions and I'd love your insight.

1. Checking In: My orders say I'm to report to training Sunday, October 16th, by noon. I just spoke with the point of contact person at Newport (got the number from the ODS paperwork they sent a few weeks ago) and he said I wouldn't be able to check in Saturday or stay in King Hall that night and would need to make hotel reservations. So I'm just wondering how check in went for y'all. Did you check in on a Sunday morning as well? Do you know if cabs are able to get to King Hall easy enough, as long as it's a cab company with base access? Also, uh, what did you wear to check in? Are jeans fine or is athletic gear better? Not sure what exactly happens on check in day.

2. Packing list: Did you find the packing list here (http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ods_requiredpaperwork.html) to be sufficient? I stumbled across a few other packing lists that said to bring white t shirts, white/black socks, underwear, swimsuit, and towels, but I'm not sure if those are included in your uniform allowance or not.

3. Galley money: I'm a little confused about bring cash for meals. In the paperwork it says enough to get you through the first two weeks. How has reimbursement been working?

4. Graduation: haven't seen anything regarding this and I assume the answer is yes, but are families invited to graduation?

5. Any other advice? Recommendations on collateral duty sign-ups, for example? I hear mail orderly is a good gig :wink: In general I'd love to just hear about your ODS experience and how it went for you, whatever you feel like sharing!



Okay, I'll bite. I'm at ODS right now. Some of this will be opinion, and some fact. Others please feel free to chime in. Also, keep in mind that your experience at ODS is heavily dependent on what Chief you have. Some are significantly easier or more difficult than others.

1. Nothing at all really happens on Sunday, aka check in day. You get some paperwork, that's about it. I actually went to outback for dinner Sunday night because we had Liberty once we got briefed on the paperwork. So wear whatever you like, as long as it is "appropriate civilian attire." Whatever that means, likely no one is going to care what you're wearing. Yes, you should be able to stay in King hall of you get here before Sunday. This building is literally, not figuratively, literally filled with empty rooms. You'll be fine. Although, I wouldn't suggest checking in early because King hall sucks. I checked in at 11am on Sunday and I wish I had waited until 5 minutes before noon. King hall has no AC, the beds and linens blow, and you'll be surrounded by people that you may not be comfortable around. So you can get a hotel and enjoy freedom and comfort a little longer, or check in early and save some money, your call.

2. The packing list is fine. If you're missing stuff you can buy it at the exchange, you'll have an opportunity to do that. You get a flat rate uniform allowance regardless of what you buy, so get what you need, don't worry about reimbursement because you won't be getting any. I suggest bringing things that aren't on the list, see item 5 below for that.

3.Again there is no reimbursement per se for meals. You get a flat rate meal allowance regardless of what you actually spend. You have to pay for your meals here. There will be a classmate with the collateral duty of mess treasurer; everyone will pay them, and they will pay the chow hall. All in your meals here cost about $350 total. You'll have access to an ATM if you don't want to bring that much, but follow the guidance and bring at least $200, or whatever it says. It takes awhile to get paid, so you need to make sure you have enough so you're covered.

4. Yes, there is a graduation on Friday morning, and a reception the night before. Families can come, it is about $20 per person because the class has to buy food for the reception. You will be in dress blues for both occasions.

5. This is where a lot of my opinion will come out.

A. So no, the mail guy collateral sucks from what I hear. You actually don't need to even sign up for a collateral technically, there are people in my class who don't have one, although many do. It really depends on how large your class is. But knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have signed up for one. The best ones in my opinion are: swim motivator, this gets you out of PT a lot of mornings, and you get to sleep a little longer because the pool opens a little later than when PT muster usually is. Don't worry about missing PT because it's a joke, but this of course depends on your Chief. But the general consensus is that it is always really easy and pretty much a waste of time if your muscles haven't atrophied from a extreme sedentary lifestyle. Also the photographer collateral is pretty good because you get inspected first and then can walk around not having to stand at attention for a extremely painful long time. Also you get to have your cell phone with you all the time to take photos. All the others are a crap shoot, they can vary in difficulty, but honestly none of them are really too time consuming, except being the Divo. I would steer clear of the Divo spot, PT body, information officer, and Mail officer because of what I've heard. Choose at your own peril.

B. For the love of God, buy your uniforms before you get here. One because the uniform shop is quite possibly the worst in the world, almost making a hobby out of screwing your shit up, but also because it is a major gaggle over there with everyone trying to buy and get fitted for the same shit. Everyone's stuff is jacked up, either they didn't get something, or something is broken, or the tailoring just straight up makes their uniform look like a bag of ass. I'd strongly recommend getting your stuff beforehand. Anything you don't buy beforehand you'll get a chance to get here, you'll still have to go to the uniform shop when everyone else goes, but your trip will be a lot less stressful and your stuff will actually be right. You'll need to buy two sets of khakis, two shirts and two pants. If you don't know how to fit the cover then just wait to buy it here, that's no big deal. Have your pants hemmed by someone that knows the uniform regulations, it is best to do this at a navy base. I'd buy a set of dress blues, again wait on the cover until you get here. Have the tailoring done by a uniform shop that knows the regulation. Try to buy used uniforms from a thrift shop or online before you buy new because they are ridiculously overpriced. Don't wear the unfiforms until you get here and are authorized to wear them by your class leadership!! I wouldn't recommend pre buying anything else other than what has already been mentioned. The stuff that needs tailoring to fit is what is causing the most trouble here.

C. Bring your car if you can. There is a place to park on base and it'll come in handy for the Liberty weekends.

D. Again PT is an absolute joke. Be in good shape and safely within PRT passing range before you get here, because your score is not likely to improve while you're here. You have limited time, until the last two weeks, to PT on your own.

E. For the priors, a lot of stuff is just repeat and honestly you'll feel like it is a major waste of time. Keep in mind that others need to learn, and you're getting paid to be here. Just try to be patient, this will be harder for some than others.

F. Civilian clothes are basically worthless here, you'll never be permitted to wear them, even on Liberty. I'd pack light, however if you bring your car you can just leave a lot of your clothes there. There isn't a lot of space in your wall locker.

G. Bring a small, like twin size, blanket. Unless you're out of your mind, you'll likely sleep on top of your made bed, and use your extra blanket to sleep with. In the morning the blanket goes in your wall locker and it'll only take a few minutes to square away your bed.

Edit: I apologize for any typos, I'm typing on my phone. Also, besides the uniform items I mentioned, I'd wait on everything else. There is a lot of particular uniform items that are up to your chief. Get the tailored stuff beforehand and you'll be way ahead of the curve.

Any questions just ask!


Hey,

I was wondering if/when you were able to get your ID ahead of time and if that would impact the ability to get uniforms early? I commissioned in May 2016 and I would imagine (after hearing all of your stories from last year) that I am not in DEERS yet.

Thanks for posting through ODS, it is very helpful.

heavymetallover
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby heavymetallover » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks for the input, Saul. Definitely going to try to secure that photographer spot. And it hadn't occurred to me to bring a blanket. Toward the end of November in Newport I won't want to be without one, so really, thanks man. I wish I could take your advice about the uniforms but unfortunately there's no NEX around me, so I guess I'll just deal.

Quick question about medical, though. I know it said somewhere in the paperwork that we'd be going through another medical screening. I know to expect the standard tests and whatnot, but is there anything more to it? Kinda weird, but uh, do they happen to look up your nose? Lol sorry, it's just that I just took out my nose piercing for training and there's a sizable bump on the inside of my nostril. Totally harmless and will go down soon enough, but I/m wondering if it's going to get me some questions and if I should just get a doctor's note ready to go to save me some trouble. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! Hope your graduation goes well, and congrats!

Also, Ramrezyeh, I commissioned in October 2015, but as of last week I was in DEERS. I think you'll know if you can already sign onto the NEX website. I actually found out I was in because I used this website (https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/appj/site?execution=e2s1) to find a location near me and to ask about getting my green reserve ID, and they just asked for my name/SS # and told me I was ready to go. I'm gonna go pick it up on Wednesday.

joman8390
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby joman8390 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:16 pm

heavymetallover wrote:Thanks for the input, Saul. Definitely going to try to secure that photographer spot. And it hadn't occurred to me to bring a blanket. Toward the end of November in Newport I won't want to be without one, so really, thanks man. I wish I could take your advice about the uniforms but unfortunately there's no NEX around me, so I guess I'll just deal.

Quick question about medical, though. I know it said somewhere in the paperwork that we'd be going through another medical screening. I know to expect the standard tests and whatnot, but is there anything more to it? Kinda weird, but uh, do they happen to look up your nose? Lol sorry, it's just that I just took out my nose piercing for training and there's a sizable bump on the inside of my nostril. Totally harmless and will go down soon enough, but I/m wondering if it's going to get me some questions and if I should just get a doctor's note ready to go to save me some trouble. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! Hope your graduation goes well, and congrats!

Also, Ramrezyeh, I commissioned in October 2015, but as of last week I was in DEERS. I think you'll know if you can already sign onto the NEX website. I actually found out I was in because I used this website (https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/appj/site?execution=e2s1) to find a location near me and to ask about getting my green reserve ID, and they just asked for my name/SS # and told me I was ready to go. I'm gonna go pick it up on Wednesday.


Did you call the ID center first or did you just drop by? Also did you need any documentation from the Navy?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests