Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
joman8390
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby joman8390 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:10 pm

Kind of random, but I'm also waiting on orders for the October class and I was curious what you all are doing haircut wise? I was thinking about a high and tight but thought that might be to "Marine Corps" and kind of "wanna-be" for a Navy staff officer? Thoughts?

User avatar
JEB
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby JEB » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:44 pm

I've been wearing my hair for a few years in a pretty short cut (usually using a #6 or #8 guard on top and tapering from a #2 to a #1/2 on the sides and back), but last night I used a #4 on top in the hope that if my hair is short enough, maybe they won't shave it all off next week.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:16 pm

JEB wrote:I've been wearing my hair for a few years in a pretty short cut (usually using a #6 or #8 guard on top and tapering from a #2 to a #1/2 on the sides and back), but last night I used a #4 on top in the hope that if my hair is short enough, maybe they won't shave it all off next week.



Is shaving it all off an option?! I didn't think they'd be doing that!!

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:08 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JEB wrote:I've been wearing my hair for a few years in a pretty short cut (usually using a #6 or #8 guard on top and tapering from a #2 to a #1/2 on the sides and back), but last night I used a #4 on top in the hope that if my hair is short enough, maybe they won't shave it all off next week.



Is shaving it all off an option?! I didn't think they'd be doing that!!



Well actually now I hope they shave it off, I just got the worst haircut of my life at the exchange! lol I swear I can't get a good haircut anywhere I go!

cubbies44
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby cubbies44 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:50 pm

American Airlines allows you to check in early and reserve seats! Just did it!

joman8390
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby joman8390 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:18 pm

For those in the September class: when accessions gave you your base assignment, did they just tell you what it is based on your preference sheet or did they tell you what was available and let you choose from those?

Thanks

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:19 pm

joman8390 wrote:For those in the September class: when accessions gave you your base assignment, did they just tell you what it is based on your preference sheet or did they tell you what was available and let you choose from those?

Thanks



The former

joman8390
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby joman8390 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:15 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
joman8390 wrote:For those in the September class: when accessions gave you your base assignment, did they just tell you what it is based on your preference sheet or did they tell you what was available and let you choose from those?

Thanks



The former


Thanks! That's what I figured but the form said something like someone will contact you and dicuss the available options so that made me wonder.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:25 pm

Yeah I think there is more of a diologue for future assignments, but for this one they go off of what you put on the list

acr
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby acr » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm applying to the Student Program this September. If you are professionally recommended for a commission, what are the odds that you'll be accepted into JAG?

Sorry if this is a dumb/ignorant question.

Thanks!

joman8390
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby joman8390 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:49 pm

As long as you meet the commissioning standards (medical and background) you will be offered a commission.

acr
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby acr » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:51 pm

joman8390 wrote:As long as you meet the commissioning standards (medical and background) you will be offered a commission.


Thanks. I have my screener with a Navy officer this week. Any general interview tips for what they're looking for at this point?

Husky09
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Husky09 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:54 am

acr wrote:
joman8390 wrote:As long as you meet the commissioning standards (medical and background) you will be offered a commission.


Thanks. I have my screener with a Navy officer this week. Any general interview tips for what they're looking for at this point?


There are some great resources further back in this thread for tips on the Interview, here's an excerpt from S. Goodman from page 9 of this thread:

acr wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:In regard to the Navy interview process, I can't really provide much insight or advice. The questions are designed to get your off the cuff responses, there is no real meaningful way to prepare for it. These questions are (I felt at least) designed to determine how good of a leader you are, if you'd make a good naval officer, if you're going to be a strong attorney, and if you can handle the military lifestyle.

Although the Navy wants these questions to be objectively based and graded, I still feel as though there is a strong subjective element involved. How your interviewers interpret your rambling answer is certainly subjective, and whether or not they like (or respect) you is bound to play a part in how they grade your answers. So respect them and carry yourself well and you'll likely get a warm and respectful response in return.

In regard to your answers, take your time and think about the question and answer. I don't believe you are penalized for how long you take and it is best to jot down notes and outline your answer before you respond. Your interviewers are not going to respond whatsoever to your answer, they will simply take notes. They will let you answer for as long as you want and then move on to the next question. Simply be respectful, articulate, concise if possible, and think carefully about your answers, and you'll likely receive a good result.

One more quick word about respect. The military holds respect in a very high regard; your interviewers are naval officers. They are not your peers, they are your superiors. So "yeah" or "man" or "dude" isn't appropriate. Although they are likely not to call you on it because you are a civilian, they will surely take note of it. You're trying to be a naval officer, and being an officer in the U.S. Military is a HUGE responsibility. You have a lot of men who will be looking to you for your leadership. They will try to emulate your example, so you need to set a good one. You need to be locked and cocked and show your interviewers you can handle the extraordinary privilege of being a military officer. Furthermore, the correct response to a male officer is “sir,” and if you have a female officer interviewing you it will be “ma’am.” This is just a word to the wise and you’re free to do what you like, the prior service guys here are obviously already aware of these common military courtesies. Although your interviewers may seem relaxed and friendly, do not forget what they are, and where you are. The military is a serious organization, so take it seriously. In short, demonstrate and maintain discipline.


I'm not sure what your screening is, whether it is your structured interview or a more preliminary meeting, but the structured interview is a combination of questions and hypothetical situations and your responses are scored on a rubric by your interviewers (it's not like a traditional conversational interview).

User avatar
dannyswo
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby dannyswo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:11 am

S. Goodman wrote:
JEB wrote:I've been wearing my hair for a few years in a pretty short cut (usually using a #6 or #8 guard on top and tapering from a #2 to a #1/2 on the sides and back), but last night I used a #4 on top in the hope that if my hair is short enough, maybe they won't shave it all off next week.



Is shaving it all off an option?! I didn't think they'd be doing that!!

Not ODS but OCS hair cut story: I shaved my head for about 4 months before I got in, so of course I did it the morning I went and checked in to OCS. We all had to get haircuts, even I, completely bald, had to sit in the chair. The guy cutting my hair put the sheet around me to catch the hair I didn't have, touched the clippers to my head, took the sheet off and sent me in line with the other satisfied customers. And the Navy charged me $5 for that hair cut.

Pretty sure that they don't shave your head at knife and fork school, but it's been a while.

User avatar
shintopig
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby shintopig » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:59 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:As of 11ish central, I received my orders by email to the 11 Sept ODS and 17 Oct NJS class.

Also, like other folks, I had my detailing conversation a couple weeks ago. We got our first choice and will have to brush up on some chopstick skills because we're going to Yokuska, Japan :) Incredibly excited, as an international tour at some point in my time in JAG was one big draw :)


Hey! I remember us msging back and forth a bit around Feb 2015 when you were still applying. Awesome to see you're in now.

I'll be seeing you at NJS! I'm in the same class. And . . . I'll be serving with you in Yokosuka too.

JAG Hopeful
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:18 am

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby JAG Hopeful » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:04 pm

shintopig wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:As of 11ish central, I received my orders by email to the 11 Sept ODS and 17 Oct NJS class.

Also, like other folks, I had my detailing conversation a couple weeks ago. We got our first choice and will have to brush up on some chopstick skills because we're going to Yokuska, Japan :) Incredibly excited, as an international tour at some point in my time in JAG was one big draw :)


Hey! I remember us msging back and forth a bit around Feb 2015 when you were still applying. Awesome to see you're in now.

I'll be seeing you at NJS! I'm in the same class. And . . . I'll be serving with you in Yokosuka too.


I'm in the thick of ODS right now (it's AWESOME) but that's fantastic!! I haven't met anyone else yet going, ans I can't wait to meet you in person and thank you for all the help :)

P.S. Has anyone in our ODS class guessed who we all are in person? Saul, I think I know you, ya Marine prior you ;)

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:21 am

JAG Hopeful wrote:
shintopig wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:As of 11ish central, I received my orders by email to the 11 Sept ODS and 17 Oct NJS class.

Also, like other folks, I had my detailing conversation a couple weeks ago. We got our first choice and will have to brush up on some chopstick skills because we're going to Yokuska, Japan :) Incredibly excited, as an international tour at some point in my time in JAG was one big draw :)


Hey! I remember us msging back and forth a bit around Feb 2015 when you were still applying. Awesome to see you're in now.

I'll be seeing you at NJS! I'm in the same class. And . . . I'll be serving with you in Yokosuka too.


I'm in the thick of ODS right now (it's AWESOME) but that's fantastic!! I haven't met anyone else yet going, ans I can't wait to meet you in person and thank you for all the help :)

P.S. Has anyone in our ODS class guessed who we all are in person? Saul, I think I know you, ya Marine prior you ;)


Lol yeah I've shared a lot of personal details on here, I'm pretty easy to spot! Haha

User avatar
shintopig
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby shintopig » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:32 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:
shintopig wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:As of 11ish central, I received my orders by email to the 11 Sept ODS and 17 Oct NJS class.

Also, like other folks, I had my detailing conversation a couple weeks ago. We got our first choice and will have to brush up on some chopstick skills because we're going to Yokuska, Japan :) Incredibly excited, as an international tour at some point in my time in JAG was one big draw :)


Hey! I remember us msging back and forth a bit around Feb 2015 when you were still applying. Awesome to see you're in now.

I'll be seeing you at NJS! I'm in the same class. And . . . I'll be serving with you in Yokosuka too.


I'm in the thick of ODS right now (it's AWESOME) but that's fantastic!! I haven't met anyone else yet going, ans I can't wait to meet you in person and thank you for all the help :)

P.S. Has anyone in our ODS class guessed who we all are in person? Saul, I think I know you, ya Marine prior you ;)


Lol yeah I've shared a lot of personal details on here, I'm pretty easy to spot! Haha


Yeah, you should be in the same NJS class too S. Goodman right? We'll have to do a TLS meetup or something at that Newport O-Club that's not really an O-club.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:30 pm

shintopig wrote:
Yeah, you should be in the same NJS class too S. Goodman right? We'll have to do a TLS meetup or something at that Newport O-Club that's not really an O-club.




Yeah that's a bummer that just anyone can stroll in and eat.

joman8390
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby joman8390 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Has anyone received orders for the October ODS class yet or have any intel on when they are supposed to come out?

TSchwartz
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby TSchwartz » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:56 am

joman8390 wrote:Has anyone received orders for the October ODS class yet or have any intel on when they are supposed to come out?


I got a call yesterday and they said I needed to be ready to go on October 16th. Mind you, I didn't even know I was being offered a commission, and now I need to try to be ready to go in 3 weeks. I haven't filled out my
Wishlist or anything yet, So I'm still pretty in the dark. LCDR Gehlen said she would be calling today with more details and about the quota.

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:20 am

Passed the bar!

User avatar
shintopig
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby shintopig » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:10 pm

S. Goodman wrote:Passed the bar!


:!: :!: Nice :!: :!:

Next up NJS!

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:45 pm

shintopig wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Passed the bar!


:!: :!: Nice :!: :!:

Next up NJS!



Yeah! That can't come fast enough because ODS sucks! lol

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby twenty » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:56 pm

How're you cats enjoying ODS so far?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mav1993, mist4bison, no_desk and 9 guests