Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cubbies44

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:48 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:Hey all,

How long from the time your application for commission is sent in until it is accepted/rejected? And then from there how long until you were able to take the oath? At least in y'alls cases.

Mine was a little different but from the research I've done, it's been an average of 45-60 days. It really depends on how long your background check takes. Everyone seems to be extremely busy lately especially with the budget situation. Have you submitted everything?

Does that mean it will go faster if we've already been cleared by OPM? Because I have been.

I don't know but I would assume so. I know my employers just started receiving the background paperwork when I finished MEPS.

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:59 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
CharlieAvocado wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

How long from the time your application for commission is sent in until it is accepted/rejected? And then from there how long until you were able to take the oath? At least in y'alls cases.

Mine was a little different but from the research I've done, it's been an average of 45-60 days. It really depends on how long your background check takes. Everyone seems to be extremely busy lately especially with the budget situation. Have you submitted everything?

Does that mean it will go faster if we've already been cleared by OPM? Because I have been.

I don't know but I would assume so. I know my employers just started receiving the background paperwork when I finished MEPS.

I did an externship that started in January, and they got around to that background check in late May. I'd already been picked up, so they just did a slightly deeper check.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:13 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
CharlieAvocado wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

I did an externship that started in January, and they got around to that background check in late May. I'd already been picked up, so they just did a slightly deeper check.

I wouldn't think it would take very long then. Hopefully you receive good news soon.

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:33 pm

I have MEPS on Friday, can I take a water bottle with me, or will they take that from me?

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:49 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:I have MEPS on Friday, can I take a water bottle with me, or will they take that from me?

I brought a water bottle with me and then they have you leave it with your phone in the office. I drank most of it by the time that happened though

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:02 pm

Last minute MEPS question (going Friday).

My recruiter told me that not only would I not have to fill out any medical paperwork there (we did the presubmit thing ahead of time in his office) but that I also should tell them that I don't have to fill any out if they ask me to. This seems like the fastest way to piss off MEPS to me, but what do I know. :roll:

Did anyone have to fill out more medical paperwork at MEPS? I didn't lie on my medical paperwork, or omit anything, but let me tell you, I had to really dig through my medical history to answer everything. The amount of stuff I had to list that I had completely forgotten about was long, I ended up resorting to calling my mother to make sure I wasn't leaving things out (I was). If I have to recall all of that stuff on the spot I'm going to be screwed, because no doubt I will end up omitting something by accident. The last thing I want to be accused of is falsifying or lying about my medical records.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:32 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:Last minute MEPS question (going Friday).

My recruiter told me that not only would I not have to fill out any medical paperwork there (we did the presubmit thing ahead of time in his office) but that I also should tell them that I don't have to fill any out if they ask me to. This seems like the fastest way to piss off MEPS to me, but what do I know. :roll:

Did anyone have to fill out more medical paperwork at MEPS? I didn't lie on my medical paperwork, or omit anything, but let me tell you, I had to really dig through my medical history to answer everything. The amount of stuff I had to list that I had completely forgotten about was long, I ended up resorting to calling my mother to make sure I wasn't leaving things out (I was). If I have to recall all of that stuff on the spot I'm going to be screwed, because no doubt I will end up omitting something by accident. The last thing I want to be accused of is falsifying or lying about my medical records.

I definitely had to fill out more paperwork. It was a different form but basically the exact same questions. I don't know anyone who went through MEPS that didn't have to fill out more paperwork there. Every person that was there that day had to do it. I've spoken with others at other locations and they did aso well. The MEPS people don't really mess around. I have no idea if you were some how able to bypass that though.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:04 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
CharlieAvocado wrote:Last minute MEPS question (going Friday).

I definitely had to fill out more paperwork. It was a different form but basically the exact same questions. I don't know anyone who went through MEPS that didn't have to fill out more paperwork there. Every person that was there that day had to do it. I've spoken with others at other locations and they did also well. The MEPS people don't really mess around. I have no idea if you were some how able to bypass that though.

I also had to refill out the same sheet with the 75 questions or whatever it was and note each yes at the bottom. I am also accident prone, and it took me some time to get through it. My best advice is to just try your best, they were very patient with me taking my time to fill it all out. It was certainly a mess with a lot of cross outs and corrections as I remembered things but they didn't mind. They will also have your old form on file.

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:09 pm

Thanks guys. Guess I'm going to start trying to remember. Hopefully they'll let me use a notecard. I just had to take 18 credits this semester to boot…

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:27 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:Thanks guys. Guess I'm going to start trying to remember. Hopefully they'll let me use a notecard. I just had to take 18 credits this semester to boot…

I had to refill everything out, but they had handed me a file with copies of my old paperwork in it. So I just had to recopy everything.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:48 am

You will be fine. You will probably have to fill it out again but just count how many you answered yes to on the other form to try to help you remember when you fill it out there.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:06 am

Is everyone flying in on the 10th and where are you guys planning on staying that night?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:09 pm

cubbies44 wrote:Is everyone flying in on the 10th and where are you guys planning on staying that night?

Pretty soon now ...

Anxious ... but ready to get it over with!

JEB

Postby JEB » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:48 am

cubbies44 wrote:Is everyone flying in on the 10th and where are you guys planning on staying that night?

The letter I got said to check in on the quarterdeck of King Hall for lodging for the night. Of course, I'll be getting to the base about 2230, so that'll be interesting.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:36 am

JEB wrote:

The letter I got said to check in on the quarterdeck of King Hall for lodging for the night. Of course, I'll be getting to the base about 2230, so that'll be interesting.

I can't find where mine says that. Mine talks about contacting SATO for lodging but yours sounds more accurate. I plan on just going straight there. I have too much stuff to lug around to go anywhere else.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:46 am

Received an email this morning, class 16080! Woohoo

JEB

Postby JEB » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:52 pm

I'll be going straight there as well, but I don't land in PVD until 2120 (assuming that I land on time). It's going to be a long day on Saturday.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:37 pm

JEB wrote:I'll be going straight there as well, but I don't land in PVD until 2120 (assuming that I land on time). It's going to be a long day on Saturday.

Omg that's terrible! I leave at 0715, one stop in Philly, then land in Providence at 1250. So it's an early morning for me but I'll get there at a decent time.

Stubbazubba

Postby Stubbazubba » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:43 pm

cubbies44 wrote:So it's an early morning for me

Probably a good time to get used to those anyway, huh? :D

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:46 pm

Stubbazubba wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:So it's an early morning for me

Probably a good time to get used to those anyway, huh? :D

I've been working on it haha I've been doing 0500 workouts the past 3 weeks

JEB

Postby JEB » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:26 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
JEB wrote:I'll be going straight there as well, but I don't land in PVD until 2120 (assuming that I land on time). It's going to be a long day on Saturday.

Omg that's terrible! I leave at 0715, one stop in Philly, then land in Providence at 1250. So it's an early morning for me but I'll get there at a decent time.

I leave at 0710, stops in SLC and Chicago

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:34 pm

JEB wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

I leave at 0710, stops in SLC and Chicago

That is insane! That is an extremely long day.

NAVJAG1

Postby NAVJAG1 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:02 pm

JEB wrote:

This will not be a problem. The Officer of the Deck will be on duty.

cal_pushed

Postby cal_pushed » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:07 pm

You all received orders for a sep ODS, or oct ODS? Anyone out there receive oct ODS orders yet?

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:28 pm

cal_pushed wrote:You all received orders for a sep ODS, or oct ODS? Anyone out there receive oct ODS orders yet?

I think most of us are September.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”