Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cubbies44

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby cubbies44 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:48 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:I haven't gotten ODS orders yet. But apparently the orders for NJS, and our duty stations have been completed, I got a copy of those! Which is good enough for the USAA career started loan!

I still haven't received anything... :(

They didn't send them, I had to call and ask. I got the orders from Shannon. Maybe call tomorrow and see if they have yours too?

Thank you! I will do that tomorrow. I could definitely use that loan right now.

You're telling me! Things were getting pretty lean in the funds dept. since school ended. lol Once you get the orders they process the loan and you will get the loan proceeds in about two days!

Thank God. Hopefully I can get something tomorrow and get the loan.

TSchwartz

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag- Alternates

Postby TSchwartz » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:15 pm

Hey everyone. I was wondering if there are any other alternates out there who have additional information? I was informed a few weeks ago that my COMDOCS were completed and were on scroll delay and there is nothing left for me to do but sign them. They congratulated me in the email, but when I asked for confirmation that it meant I had a commission no one was able to give me an answer.

I'm asking because I'm on a bit of a timeline. I mainly just need to know when 1) does that mean I have a commission? 2) when I would possibly leave? I am wondering because I had previously accepted a clerkship for the Chief Justice of my state's Supreme Court to begin in November, and I need to let him know if I will no longer be accepting it. I have explained this to them but they have just said that they are nearly positive they will be accepting alternates, but they're waiting on the budget to know how many/if they can take them. JAG is my #1 choice but I don't want to screw myself out of a clerkship if I haven't been given a commission and don't end up getting one.

Anyone have any insight? Kinda stressin out about it.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:27 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:I haven't gotten ODS orders yet. But apparently the orders for NJS, and our duty stations have been completed, I got a copy of those! Which is good enough for the USAA career started loan!

I still haven't received anything... :(

They didn't send them, I had to call and ask. I got the orders from Shannon. Maybe call tomorrow and see if they have yours too?

Thank you! I will do that tomorrow. I could definitely use that loan right now.

You're telling me! Things were getting pretty lean in the funds dept. since school ended. lol Once you get the orders they process the loan and you will get the loan proceeds in about two days!

I don't think she's there today... I called and left a message this morning but no response yet. Hopefully tomorrow I will get good news.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Update: I don't have any orders so can't get USAA loan yet. I just took oath though so may be a bit. Hoping for next week.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:31 pm

Anyone received anything?

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:29 pm

cubbies44 wrote:Anyone received anything?

Picked up my reserve military ID today at our air national guard base - super easy process. Needed my driver's license, passport, and ssn card and It took less than 30 mins.

Also got my travel itinerary for ODS , although they routed me through a tiny airport and have to reroute, so they're still finalizing.

JEB

Postby JEB » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:13 pm

I've got my orders and my travel itinerary. Seems like theyre a bit swamped right now.

Orders say that we need to get a PHA and dental exam. Anyone know if we're supposed to be contacting the local Navy Region about that?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:41 pm

JEB wrote:I've got my orders and my travel itinerary. Seems like theyre a bit swamped right now.

Orders say that we need to get a PHA and dental exam. Anyone know if we're supposed to be contacting the local Navy Region about that?

What is a PHA?

JEB

Postby JEB » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:04 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JEB wrote:I've got my orders and my travel itinerary. Seems like theyre a bit swamped right now.

What is a PHA?

Physical Health Assessment? I don't even know where I got that acronym from, as I can't find it again in my orders. But it seems like the stuff we had to do at MEPS. Except with a dental exam added.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:05 am

JAG Hopeful wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:Anyone received anything?

Picked up my reserve military ID today at our air national guard base - super easy process. Needed my driver's license, passport, and ssn card and It took less than 30 mins.

Also got my travel itinerary for ODS , although they routed me through a tiny airport and have to reroute, so they're still finalizing.

Is this possible after you commission but before you receive any orders? (while waiting to graduate as a 2L) Thanks!

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Got the go ahead for MEPS finally, after waiting a while! How long did it take for those who have already gone through MEPS to commission? I have a time sensitive name change I need done for school/bar, and Navy says I can't do it until after I commission. I'm about to hit a wall of being royally screwed.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:22 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:Got the go ahead for MEPS finally, after waiting a while! How long did it take for those who have already gone through MEPS to commission? I have a time sensitive name change I need done for school/bar, and Navy says I can't do it until after I commission. I'm about to hit a wall of being royally screwed.

I would say a good 45-60 days and that's assuming you don't have any problems at MEPS.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:41 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:Got the go ahead for MEPS finally, after waiting a while! How long did it take for those who have already gone through MEPS to commission? I have a time sensitive name change I need done for school/bar, and Navy says I can't do it until after I commission. I'm about to hit a wall of being royally screwed.

March 17 MEPS, May 25 Commission- with one request for an additional document in between

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly then! The bar can wait longer than the school, however I'll be very close with the school. I'll have to ask just how late I can get the name change in. I'll probably have to pay a late graduation fee. :/

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:19 am

I might get kicked to a later ODS class. I guess there are four people that were supposed to go to the September ODS class, but there isn't funding left for their orders. They told me they'd know more next week.

gwcolonial24

Postby gwcolonial24 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:25 pm

S. Goodman wrote:I might get kicked to a later ODS class. I guess there are four people that were supposed to go to the September ODS class, but there isn't funding left for their orders. They told me they'd know more next week.

I'm surprise that they have an ODS class starting in September since the end of the fiscal year can create funding issues. Hope you get to go in September.

Due to my NR commissioned time, I'm being allowed to go directly to NJS without ODS. However, I won't see any orders until the end of the year. Just have to keep waiting for now.

JEB

Postby JEB » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Yes, there are funding issues and interesting things going on. Those of us who for sure are going in September to ODS have orders through the end of September that will get extended once the Appropriations Bill or CR gets passed.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:30 pm

S. Goodman wrote:I might get kicked to a later ODS class. I guess there are four people that were supposed to go to the September ODS class, but there isn't funding left for their orders. They told me they'd know more next week.

I'm in the same boat. Waiting to hear something this week. We may be pushed back to October.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:57 pm

cubbies44 wrote:

I'm in the same boat. Waiting to hear something this week. We may be pushed back to October.

I already received orders for NJS and my duty station, but not ODS. They told me if I get pushed to a later ODS class they'll have to redo those orders as well. Not sure if that would apply to you too. I hope our duty station assignments won't change!

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:41 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

I already received orders for NJS and my duty station, but not ODS. They told me if I get pushed to a later ODS class they'll have to redo those orders as well. Not sure if that would apply to you too. I hope our duty station assignments won't change!

I ended up getting NJS and duty station orders as well and was told they would redo orders. And she said we would be thrown back into detailing. She said it wasn't guaranteed to be the same. I took that as it would most likely change but we won't know until it happens I guess.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:51 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

I ended up getting NJS and duty station orders as well and was told they would redo orders. And she said we would be thrown back into detailing. She said it wasn't guaranteed to be the same. I took that as it would most likely change but we won't know until it happens I guess.

Ugh ! I hope not because I got my first choice! Lol

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:37 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

Ugh ! I hope not because I got my first choice! Lol

Hopefully you will get your same choice then. Mine wasn't my first choice but I honestly didn't care. I had like 3 I didn't want to go to and I didn't get them so I was happy.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:05 am

Hey all,

How long from the time your application for commission is sent in until it is accepted/rejected? And then from there how long until you were able to take the oath? At least in y'alls cases.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:42 am

cdemps3 wrote:Hey all,

How long from the time your application for commission is sent in until it is accepted/rejected? And then from there how long until you were able to take the oath? At least in y'alls cases.

Mine was a little different but from the research I've done, it's been an average of 45-60 days. It really depends on how long your background check takes. Everyone seems to be extremely busy lately especially with the budget situation. Have you submitted everything?

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:41 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:Hey all,

Mine was a little different but from the research I've done, it's been an average of 45-60 days. It really depends on how long your background check takes. Everyone seems to be extremely busy lately especially with the budget situation. Have you submitted everything?

Does that mean it will go faster if we've already been cleared by OPM? Because I have been.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”