Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cubbies44

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby cubbies44 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:01 pm

I'm still waiting on orders. Hopefully September 11... What's everyone doing to prepare?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:45 pm

cubbies44 wrote:I'm still waiting on orders. Hopefully September 11... What's everyone doing to prepare?

Also waiting on orders for Sept. 11.

I want to get the USAA career starter loan, but can't until we get orders! Ugh!

And for preparation, just going to the gym, running, lifting, etc. What about you?

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:49 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:I'm still waiting on orders. Hopefully September 11... What's everyone doing to prepare?

And for preparation, just going to the gym, running, lifting, etc. What about you?

I emailed USAA yesterday actually haha I am supposed to speak with them tomorrow but betting I will need orders as well. I am doing the same. I researched some reading materials and am reading "Newly Commissioned Naval Officer's Guide." I have bought most of the items needed/suggested for ODS as well. I have to call Millington tomorrow so I will ask about orders.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:56 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

I emailed USAA yesterday actually haha I am supposed to speak with them tomorrow but betting I will need orders as well. I am doing the same. I researched some reading materials and am reading "Newly Commissioned Naval Officer's Guide." I have bought most of the items needed/suggested for ODS as well. I have to call Millington tomorrow so I will ask about orders.

Where did you get the list of suggested items?

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:56 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Where did you get the list of suggested items?

I've researched it a bit. Here is the link from the Navy with stuff to bring and then I found some blogs from people who went previously.

http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ods_requiredpaperwork.html

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads ... ts.543353/

It has been pretty helpful. Expensive, but helpful.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:39 am

Thanks, I'll look into it!

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:57 am

I just called Millington. They are having a meeting this afternoon and are going over everything. Hopefully, that means orders soon.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:53 pm

cubbies44 wrote:I just called Millington. They are having a meeting this afternoon and are going over everything. Hopefully, that means orders soon.

Thanks for the update

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:53 pm

As of 11ish central, I received my orders by email to the 11 Sept ODS and 17 Oct NJS class.

Also, like other folks, I had my detailing conversation a couple weeks ago. We got our first choice and will have to brush up on some chopstick skills because we're going to Yokuska, Japan :) Incredibly excited, as an international tour at some point in my time in JAG was one big draw :)

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:05 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:As of 11ish central, I received my orders by email to the 11 Sept ODS and 17 Oct NJS class.

Also, like other folks, I had my detailing conversation a couple weeks ago. We got our first choice and will have to brush up on some chopstick skills because we're going to Yokuska, Japan :) Incredibly excited, as an international tour at some point in my time in JAG was one big draw :)

Ahhhhhh!! Thank you so much for the update. I haven't gotten anything yet.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Wow congrats guys! When did you all fill out your dream sheets? I am commissioning shortly (at the beginning of my 3L year) and I'm just curious of the timeline.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:20 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:As of 11ish central, I received my orders by email to the 11 Sept ODS and 17 Oct NJS class.

Ahhhhhh!! Thank you so much for the update. I haven't gotten anything yet.

I haven't received anything yet either. Although I just signed so mine will probably come out last. Thank you for the update as well. Congrats!

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Quick question, what do your travel arrangements look like? Are you flying in September 10 or 11 and do you stay those 3 days until NJS or do you fly back home and then fly back again? Also, how does thanksgiving and Christmas work with NJS during it?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:17 pm

cdemps3 wrote:Wow congrats guys! When did you all fill out your dream sheets? I am commissioning shortly (at the beginning of my 3L year) and I'm just curious of the timeline.

You probably won't get the dream sheet for awhile. I commissioned between 2L and 3L year, and I didn't get a dream sheet until I had already graduated; about 2 months ago or so.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:13 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:Wow congrats guys! When did you all fill out your dream sheets? I am commissioning shortly (at the beginning of my 3L year) and I'm just curious of the timeline.

You probably won't get the dream sheet for awhile. I commissioned between 2L and 3L year, and I didn't get a dream sheet until I had already graduated; about 2 months ago or so.

I see, thanks!

And what about what NJS you go to? I assume that is contingent on when they expect you to have your bar results?

JEB

Postby JEB » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:07 am

Yes, ODS and NJS class assignments are based on when you get your bar results.

My orders came in by email at about 0900 central.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:13 am

JEB wrote:Yes, ODS and NJS class assignments are based on when you get your bar results.

Maybe they're coming out alphabetically? I'm an R. Same issue when the pro recs came out. lol

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:23 am

S. Goodman wrote:
JEB wrote:Yes, ODS and NJS class assignments are based on when you get your bar results.

Maybe they're coming out alphabetically? I'm an R. Same issue when the pro recs came out. lol

I'm an S so maybe. I'll let you know if I get mine today. Fingers crossed.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:01 am

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm

For everyone with their tentative duty station, here is a link that helps calculate what you can expect for BAH at your location. It's more than I expected.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:04 pm

cubbies44 wrote:http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm

For everyone with their tentative duty station, here is a link that helps calculate what you can expect for BAH at your location. It's more than I expected.

And tax free!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:52 pm

I haven't gotten ODS orders yet. But apparently the orders for NJS, and our duty stations have been completed, I got a copy of those! Which is good enough for the USAA career started loan!

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:57 pm

S. Goodman wrote:I haven't gotten ODS orders yet. But apparently the orders for NJS, and our duty stations have been completed, I got a copy of those! Which is good enough for the USAA career started loan!

I still haven't received anything... :(

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:48 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:I haven't gotten ODS orders yet. But apparently the orders for NJS, and our duty stations have been completed, I got a copy of those! Which is good enough for the USAA career started loan!

They didn't send them, I had to call and ask. I got the orders from Shannon. Maybe call tomorrow and see if they have yours too?

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:56 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

They didn't send them, I had to call and ask. I got the orders from Shannon. Maybe call tomorrow and see if they have yours too?

Thank you! I will do that tomorrow. I could definitely use that loan right now.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:34 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

Thank you! I will do that tomorrow. I could definitely use that loan right now.

You're telling me! Things were getting pretty lean in the funds dept. since school ended. lol Once you get the orders they process the loan and you will get the loan proceeds in about two days!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”