Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ramrezyeh

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by Ramrezyeh » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:33 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Do you train on the weekends at ODS?
No, weekends you are allowed to, but not required.
Militarybound wrote:Anyone know when we find out our duty station assignments? My recruiter told me we would find out towards the end of NJS, but older thread comments make it sound like we know much earlier.
Aug ODS found out duty stations for after NJS (Jan 2018) in week 2, alongside of our NJS orders.

Stubbazubba

New

Post by Stubbazubba » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Not generally, but your liberty is at one degree of restriction or another, depending on how far you are into it. You do have to stand watches during the weekend, though.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Stubbazubba wrote:
Not generally, but your liberty is at one degree of restriction or another, depending on how far you are into it. You do have to stand watches during the weekend, though.
Good times. You going in October?

Stubbazubba

New

Post by Stubbazubba » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:38 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Stubbazubba wrote:
I'm actually here now.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Stubbazubba wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Stubbazubba wrote:
I'm actually here now.
Ah, gotcha. Early bar results state, I'm guessing? How's it going?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadthrone7

New

Post by deadthrone7 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:03 pm

thelincolnlawyer wrote:Anybody else applying this cycle? The deadline is the 29th.
3rd times the charm, right?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 pm

deadthrone7 wrote:
thelincolnlawyer wrote:Anybody else applying this cycle? The deadline is the 29th.
Here's hoping.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:03 am

Got ODS orders. Anyone else in October?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lunchbox

New

Post by lunchbox » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Lucky. Still waiting on my scroll to be signed.

mjade

New

Post by mjade » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:14 am

usn26 wrote:
deadthrone7 wrote:
Here's hoping.
First time to apply - had my interview yesterday.

Stubbazubba

New

Post by Stubbazubba » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 am

usn26 wrote:
deadthrone7 wrote:
Here's hoping.
Third time worked for me, so there's always hope! If you can, get in touch with someone at Code 61 and ask for help strengthening your specific application. Just showing the interest will help.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Stubbazubba wrote:
usn26 wrote:
deadthrone7 wrote:
Here's hoping.
Third time worked for me, so there's always hope! If you can, get in touch with someone at Code 61 and ask for help strengthening your specific application. Just showing the interest will help.
I did. Was given a shrug and told to extern or something. Hope it counts for something haha.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 pm

usn26 wrote:
Stubbazubba wrote:
usn26 wrote:
deadthrone7 wrote:
Here's hoping.
I did. Was given a shrug and told to extern or something. Hope it counts for something haha.
USN knows the JAG game as well as anyone here, but for those reading who may not: interning/externing is REALLY helpful. The evaluation that's done on you (that you never see) is given a lot of weight at the selection board.

Stubbazubba

New

Post by Stubbazubba » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:40 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Stubbazubba wrote:
usn26 wrote:
deadthrone7 wrote:
Here's hoping.
USN knows the JAG game as well as anyone here, but for those reading who may not: interning/externing is REALLY helpful. The evaluation that's done on you (that you never see) is given a lot of weight at the selection board.
If you cannot do an internship, explain why in a comment if you have a decent reason. If you haven't done an internship, schedule a base visit. Take a day or two off of school, go up and spend the day with some JAGs. That's what I did (both of the above), and got picked up on my third application.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:46 am

Stubbazubba wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:USN knows the JAG game as well as anyone here, but for those reading who may not: interning/externing is REALLY helpful. The evaluation that's done on you (that you never see) is given a lot of weight at the selection board.
If you cannot do an internship, explain why in a comment if you have a decent reason. If you haven't done an internship, schedule a base visit. Take a day or two off of school, go up and spend the day with some JAGs. That's what I did (both of the above), and got picked up on my third application.
Oh yeah, for aspring applicants the internship/externship is a huge boost if you can do it. Stubbazubba's got a good approach in the alternative, although it doesn't quite apply to my situation unfortunately.

I wasn't in a position to do a real externship but I actually seriously considered doing a roundabout, unofficial one. I decided the marginal value was way too small to justify the effort and thank God b/c I am getting crushed under the weight of some poor 3L life choices right about now lol.

deadthrone7

New

Post by deadthrone7 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:31 am

In retrospect, I wish I would have done the internship 1L summer. I was in a prosecutors office 2L summer to use and abuse my 3rd year practice certificate, which I definitely don't regret.

Hoping my prior Navy service can carry a bit of weight. If I don't pick it up this go about, I will definitely try to get into an office for a day or two.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hkh2220

New

Post by hkh2220 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:04 pm

kind of a shot in the dark here- can anyone speak to the promotions aspect of choosing JAG? Presumably, if you want to make the Navy JAGC your career and with the few numbers they accept -what kind of impact does that have on promotion particularly above O-4?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:09 pm

hkh2220 wrote:kind of a shot in the dark here- can anyone speak to the promotions aspect of choosing JAG? Presumably, if you want to make the Navy JAGC your career and with the few numbers they accept -what kind of impact does that have on promotion particularly above O-4?
I'm sure the promotion rates are online somewhere. Remember that a lot of people get out as O3s. So, yeah, there are relatively few O4 and above billets, but it's a small community that gets smaller as you advance.

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:31 pm

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/b ... fault.aspx

You can get all the info from the boards page. JAGs are considered Staff Corps. This year's results

Active Component

O4 - Above Zone (means they were passed over for promotion the year before) 4/10 selected
O4 - In Zone (First time eligible for promotion) 45/58 Selected Overall promotion rate %84.48

O5 - Above Zone - 5/42 selected
O5 - In Zone 29/45 selected Overall promotion rate %75.56

O6- Above Zone 4/27 selected
O6 - In Zone 13/25 selected Overall promotion rate %68

Reserve Component

O4 - Above Zone 0/1 selected (this was the lone person not selected by last year's board either)
O4 - In Zone 38/38 selected (Good time to be up for promotion - just fog that mirror!)

O5 - Above Zone 8/54
O5 - In Zone 12/26

O6 - Above Zone 4/65
O6 - In Zone 9/19

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fuzz

New

Post by fuzz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:20 pm

2L here about to submit my first application; just checking in. I interned with the Navy JAG this past summer, have some great work experience prior to law school, top ~30% at a T10, felt good about my interview. I think I'm just about as competitive as one can be without having any prior military service, so hoping to get in on this first shot even though I know the numbers are pretty low for 2Ls!

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:34 am

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadthrone7

New

Post by deadthrone7 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:40 pm

thelincolnlawyer wrote:
fuzz wrote:2L here about to submit my first application; just checking in. I interned with the Navy JAG this past summer, have some great work experience prior to law school, top ~30% at a T10, felt good about my interview. I think I'm just about as competitive as one can be without having any prior military service, so hoping to get in on this first shot even though I know the numbers are pretty low for 2Ls!
Top 30% at a T10 with a prior internship should be very competitive assuming you received a good evaluation form from your internship
3rd application in. Hovering around the middle, T2 school. Prior service Navy (enlisted), lots of litigation experience. Here is to the next 10 weeks of painful waiting! Good luck ladies and gents.

daddyyankee

New

Post by daddyyankee » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:41 am

For those that don't know, Navy JAG submits annual reports to the ABA.
In FY 2017, the JAG Corps received 702 applications. They selected 64 individuals through the SP and 5 through DA.
As of April 2017, there were 72 LTJG's, 404 LT's, 207 LCDR's, 121 CDR's, 73 CAPT's, and 3 FLAG officers (admirals)
https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam ... eckdam.pdf

In FY 2015, they received 584 applications. They selected 47 people through the SP and 15 through DA.
As of June 2015, there were 61 LTJG's, 394 LT's, 204 LCDR's, 128 CDR's, 81 CAPT's, and 2 FLAG officers
https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam ... eckdam.pdf

Other branches also submit annual reports if anyone wants info about those...
https://www.americanbar.org/groups/comm ... s_law.html

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”