Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shintopig

Bronze

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by shintopig » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:26 am

S. Goodman wrote:Thanks for the response. Since you were just there can you remind us of: (1) the available ODS class dates for Jags. Obviously sometime after the end of July when the Bar exam is. But what is the next available date we can go? What about after that? (2) How long do you need to wait after ODS to start NJS? When are the typical NJS class dates and graduations?
I'll do my best. :)

(1) I don't know all the ODS Dates. I do know there's an Aug class and an Oct class. Some JAG SPs go to the Aug class & others go to the Oct one. I also know there's an Apr one as well. I know someone who was selected from the alternate list going to that one. So at least Aug, Oct, and Apr.

Logically it would make sense that there's maybe a Jun, Jan, and/or Mar class, though I'm not sure about those. I didn't ask.

(2) The wait between ODS & NJS is supposed to be around a month, although for some it's more. So the Oct ODS class usually goes to the Jan NJS class. The Apr ODS class goes to the Aug NJS class. There's also an Oct NJS class that I believe the Aug ODS class is slated for. If you don't pass the bar on your first try then your NJS class will be different obviously. Also, the detailer really decides this more, because classes fill up so people might get bumped to the next one. So I don't know if it always lines up so nicely.

The NJS Basic Lawyer Course (BLC) is held 3x a year. You can see the schedule here - http://www.jag.navy.mil/documents/FY16R ... lendar.pdf.

I swear there was an Apr NJS BLC class last year when I checked the FY15 schedule, I may be wrong. In any case, there isn't one FY16.
Decimus wrote:I'm assuming PH was a pretty hot pic as well. It will be top of my list, for sure, but I'm counting on that being the case for most people.
And, Pearl Harbor, HI wasn't quite as popular as you'd think. Despite the tropical location, I think people were a bit turned off from living on an small(ish) (and expensive) island so far from the continental US for 2 years.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:48 am

shintopig wrote: I'll do my best. :)

(1) I don't know all the ODS Dates. I do know there's an Aug class and an Oct class. Some JAG SPs go to the Aug class & others go to the Oct one. I also know there's an Apr one as well. I know someone who was selected from the alternate list going to that one. So at least Aug, Oct, and Apr.

Logically it would make sense that there's maybe a Jun, Jan, and/or Mar class, though I'm not sure about those. I didn't ask.

(2) The wait between ODS & NJS is supposed to be around a month, although for some it's more. So the Oct ODS class usually goes to the Jan NJS class. The Apr ODS class goes to the Aug NJS class. There's also an Oct NJS class that I believe the Aug ODS class is slated for. If you don't pass the bar on your first try then your NJS class will be different obviously. Also, the detailer really decides this more, because classes fill up so people might get bumped to the next one. So I don't know if it always lines up so nicely.

The NJS Basic Lawyer Course (BLC) is held 3x a year. You can see the schedule here - http://www.jag.navy.mil/documents/FY16R ... lendar.pdf.

I swear there was an Apr NJS BLC class last year when I checked the FY15 schedule, I may be wrong. In any case, there isn't one FY16.
Thanks for the reply.

(1) That August ODS date . . . can that also be in early September alternatively? I was looking online and the only ODS class date around this time I could find starts on September 5th, 2016.

(2) Also, the FY17 stuff for NJS isn't posted yet. But by extrapolating from last years calendar that would make the first NJS BLC class after the September ODS class starting in mid October.

(3) This lines up with what you said about the two classes, except that if these dates are accurate, the wait between ODS and NJS for the Sepetember 2016 ODS class is less than a week. Can the wait for NJS be that brief?

Thanks again for the information. These dates are so important because my wife and I are trying to budget for this time period. We are essentially going to have zero income so the class dates are important.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:43 pm

Decimus wrote:
twenty wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Norfolk is underrated
I think you're the only person I've ever seen say something nice about Norfolk. Why does everyone hate it so much?
It's crowded, it's industrial, the town hates sailors, bridge traffic is stupid, it has a relative dearth of redeeming qualities... I could, but won't, go on.
Yeah, parts of Norfolk are gross. But the Freemason area, down by the water, is great. It's pretty affordable, and there are a lot of really good restaurants in both Freemason and Ghent. I've yet to find sushi or Mexican food in DC as good as what I had in Norfolk. Granby Street also has a decent bar scene that seems to draw more of the 25-35 crowd.

Norfolk probably sucks if you're a single guy. The presence of all the bases means the gender ratio is not in your favor, and there are definitely parts of town that are overrun with obnoxious, drunk 22 year olds. But if you're married/coupled, Norfolk isn't bad at all.

The bridge and tunnels do suck though, and they suck hard. If you're in Norfolk, make sure your daily commute does not include crossing a body of water.

Also, shinto, what is the "alternate list"? I didn't even know the Navy did that. I thought you were either recommended or not recommended on any given board.

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Regarding ODS dates, they've shifted the dates for next year, and so it's not set in stone yet. When I checked a month ago with LCDR Gehlen, she was thinking that we'd probably be sent to either Sept or Oct (it looks like, if NJS keeps the same timing, that the Sept ODS class would end the Friday before the Oct NJS class starts, so presumably anyone likely to have bar results and be able to go to NJS then would go in Sept), but asked me to follow up in the new year when she'll have a better idea.

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:43 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Also, shinto, what is the "alternate list"? I didn't even know the Navy did that. I thought you were either recommended or not recommended on any given board.
I didn't know about it either until someone I know ended up on the alternate list a few months ago, then was selected for commission recently.

I was told that there is a good chance an alternate makes it to a full recommendation, it's just the waiting that hurts.

I know that Army JAG has an alternate list, so it's no big surprise that the Navy would as well. But the Army also releases lists of those recommended for commission and the alternates publically online. The Navy doesn't publically release a master-list of all those recommended, so it would make sense they don't for their alternates either. Just those selected find out the news.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:33 am

Navy does alternates, but typically only for the spring board and only do it for 3Ls and DAs though. It is a way of fine tuning the upcoming FY numbers.

bertie23

New

Post by bertie23 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:49 am

I'm interested in the summer internship program, but for at least the last week, the Navy JAG site has been down. Anyone else having this issue? I believe applications were due Feb 1st last year, so I want to knock this out, but can't get to the actual application.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:10 pm

bertie23 wrote:I'm interested in the summer internship program, but for at least the last week, the Navy JAG site has been down. Anyone else having this issue? I believe applications were due Feb 1st last year, so I want to knock this out, but can't get to the actual application.
They were due January 5th last year. I think they pushed it back a couple weeks this year (closer to the 20th) but I can't recall off the top of my head the exact date.

You should be able to google the form. It may still be OPNAV 1070/3.

bertie23

New

Post by bertie23 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:39 pm

wg6524 wrote:
bertie23 wrote:I'm interested in the summer internship program, but for at least the last week, the Navy JAG site has been down. Anyone else having this issue? I believe applications were due Feb 1st last year, so I want to knock this out, but can't get to the actual application.
They were due January 5th last year. I think they pushed it back a couple weeks this year (closer to the 20th) but I can't recall off the top of my head the exact date.

You should be able to google the form. It may still be OPNAV 1070/3.
Thanks, looks like their new site just went active today, so I was able to find the info. Current deadline for this summer's internship is January 22.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:46 pm

any recruiter assignments?

Decimus

Bronze

Post by Decimus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:34 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:any recruiter assignments?
Not yet!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Decimus, you're a reservist, right? Keep us in the loop about what the process is regarding MEPS/security clearance stuff for you.

Decimus

Bronze

Post by Decimus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Decimus, you're a reservist, right? Keep us in the loop about what the process is regarding MEPS/security clearance stuff for you.
Will do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:06 pm

Also, if you already hold a commission, I wonder how that works. It's not a matter of commissioning you so much as reclassifying you.

gwcolonial24

New

Post by gwcolonial24 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:01 am

Decimus wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:any recruiter assignments?
Not yet!
Yes - received information today.

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:47 am

Anyone else's recruiter 2 States and 3 hrs away? Classic.

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:00 pm

I posed a question via PM to someone but I'll lose it here too.. About how many times did everyone who went through the commissioning process physically meet with their recruiters prior to MEPS? or was most of it handled remotely?
Classes started up, my recruiter is 3 hours away, just trying to figure out what kind of time I'll be devoting to this in the next three weeks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:37 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:I posed a question via PM to someone but I'll lose it here too.. About how many times did everyone who went through the commissioning process physically meet with their recruiters prior to MEPS? or was most of it handled remotely?
Classes started up, my recruiter is 3 hours away, just trying to figure out what kind of time I'll be devoting to this in the next three weeks.

Almost exclusively done for me remotely. Although I had to do an unofficial weigh in beforehand. But I actually did that at an enlisted recruiting office that was much closer to where I was. All the paperwork you need to give to the recruiter can be scanned and emailed, faxed, or mailed. I think you're good.

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:35 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:I posed a question via PM to someone but I'll lose it here too.. About how many times did everyone who went through the commissioning process physically meet with their recruiters prior to MEPS? or was most of it handled remotely?
Here was my response, in case anyone else has the same question. Based on Goodman's answer above, looks like I was write that they will work with you to do everything remotely. (Maybe even the signatures and such).

If I remember correctly, I went down to my processor's office twice, once to get some documents copied (my birth certificate, SSN, etc: because they need to see the originals and copy them), and once to sign all the forms they need signed. Mine was only about an hour and 15 minutes away. My guess is that your processor might be willing to do everything remotely and just have you come in once to copy those documents and sign all the forms. Let your processor know where you're located, be quick about getting documents done and submitted (which will all be done via email), and he/she will probably work with you so you don't have to drive twice.

gwcolonial24

New

Post by gwcolonial24 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Are there any Navy Reserve officers out there who have gone through the Phase II JAGC commissioning process? I was told by my recruiter that I need a DD-368. I was surprised since I'm not switching branches.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:57 pm

Checking Welfare, anyone discover anything new as this next application cycle begins to close?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:35 pm

Regarding ODS dates for this next year, it looks like we'll be going in September and October. If your results come out quickly, you'll go in September so that you can go to the October NJS assuming you passed.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:24 pm

JEB wrote:Regarding ODS dates for this next year, it looks like we'll be going in September and October. If your results come out quickly, you'll go in September so that you can go to the October NJS assuming you passed.

I wonder just how quickly the results will need to be released? I think my jurisdiction releases like the week before the end of ODS. At what point during ODS are orders cut for NJS? Maybe figuring out how fast the fastest jurisdiction releases their scores could provide insight.

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:46 pm

S. Goodman wrote:I wonder just how quickly the results will need to be released? I think my jurisdiction releases like the week before the end of ODS. At what point during ODS are orders cut for NJS? Maybe figuring out how fast the fastest jurisdiction releases their scores could provide insight.
NC releases in 4 weeks, which is where I'm taking it.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:04 pm

JEB wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:I wonder just how quickly the results will need to be released? I think my jurisdiction releases like the week before the end of ODS. At what point during ODS are orders cut for NJS? Maybe figuring out how fast the fastest jurisdiction releases their scores could provide insight.
NC releases in 4 weeks, which is where I'm taking it.

Ah, a quick Google search reveals NC is the fastest around at about four weeks like you said. I may be switching to NC instead! ha ha I'm in a UBE state and was just going to take it here, but I'm from South Carolina, so I wouldn't mind being licensed in NC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”