Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ramrezyeh

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by Ramrezyeh » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:58 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:
gwcolonial24 wrote:Anyone else from the Fall 2015 board waiting on commissioning docs? Hope to be done with the process in about 2 weeks.
I went to MEPS late (3/17). I am still waiting on the N3M letter. What was your timeline? When did your recruiter submit everything?
My medical process was a little different. I didn't go through MEPS. I was able to do my commissioning physical at a medical treatment facility (MTF) near me. It was broken down into 2 parts. The first part was all preliminaries (lab work, EKG, dental, etc). The second part was actually seeing a military medical provider. I finished with the second part on Feb. 23rd. My recruiter had my N3M letter that same week. My commissioning kit was submitted up for final review and approval on March 25th. It couldn't be done sooner since my recruiter needed my approved conditional release from the Navy Reserve.
Right and Congress resumed after the holiday yesterday. I hope it moves fast! I would like to swear in before I leave for my summer internship.

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:32 pm

wg6524 wrote:Anyone have intel on when the board is going to meet this semester? It seems like it should be in April sometime...

I keep hoping we'll get answers back before finals even start this time.... day dreams--I know--but, isn't that what brought us all to law school? :lol:
I got a call confirming my contact info from the LCDR in Millington last week before she sends out ODS paperwork soon. She mentioned the board is meeting "next weekend" in DC. I'm assuming that means this coming weekend now, not this past Easter weekend, but that seems early to me. Who knows though? That'd be nice to get results before May.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:20 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:
wg6524 wrote:Anyone have intel on when the board is going to meet this semester? It seems like it should be in April sometime...

I keep hoping we'll get answers back before finals even start this time.... day dreams--I know--but, isn't that what brought us all to law school? :lol:
I got a call confirming my contact info from the LCDR in Millington last week before she sends out ODS paperwork soon. She mentioned the board is meeting "next weekend" in DC. I'm assuming that means this coming weekend now, not this past Easter weekend, but that seems early to me. Who knows though? That'd be nice to get results before May.

ODS paperwork coming soon? Exciting stuff for the ball to get rolling!

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:02 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:

ODS paperwork coming soon? Exciting stuff for the ball to get rolling!
Yeah! Including duty preference rankings too, I believe she said.

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:42 am

which bar exams are y'all taking? Is anyone choosing a bar based on results release date? Anyone taking a UBE state?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:which bar exams are y'all taking? Is anyone choosing a bar based on results release date? Anyone taking a UBE state?

I am taking a UBE state, that releases somewhat early. I am not quite sure how the whole UBE thing works, but my hope is that I can freely transfer to any other UBE state provided my score is high enough. There are five UBE jurisdictions I could potentially see myself wanting to live in at some point in the furture, I'd like to get admitted to all of them; but be in an inactive status of course.

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:53 am

S. Goodman wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:which bar exams are y'all taking? Is anyone choosing a bar based on results release date? Anyone taking a UBE state?

I am taking a UBE state, that releases somewhat early. I am not quite sure how the whole UBE thing works, but my hope is that I can freely transfer to any other UBE state provided my score is high enough. There are five UBE jurisdictions I could potentially see myself wanting to live in at some point in the furture, I'd like to get admitted to all of them; but be in an inactive status of course.
I am taking the UBE next summer (I am way ahead of myself). I was just interested to see if anyone here tried to take a state they knew would release their results before the first BLC/NJS date in October. Also if anyone knew the cut off date for this round..
I can also think of a handful of states I wouldn't mind being barred in, but I figure the first one I just want to have in time to go to the October NJS. NY is always Nov, NH is early Oct, VT appears to be Early Oct..

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:24 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

I am taking the UBE next summer (I am way ahead of myself). I was just interested to see if anyone here tried to take a state they knew would release their results before the first BLC/NJS date in October. Also if anyone knew the cut off date for this round..
I can also think of a handful of states I wouldn't mind being barred in, but I figure the first one I just want to have in time to go to the October NJS. NY is always Nov, NH is early Oct, VT appears to be Early Oct..
I am taking NC for the express reason that I wanted my results out early enough to go to the October NJS. NC releases by the end of August, so I'll know that I passed going into ODS. I'll let y'all know later this year how that worked out.

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Decimus wrote:
NavyJAG1 wrote:Pearl Harbor is a pretty good place to spend your first tour as a JAG, provided that you don't have kids because the schools are pretty terrible. You get a high BAH and COLA, so that helps offset the cost. I don't know why Norfolk gets such a bum rap, sure it is not San Diego, but it is one of the biggest, if not biggest RLSO in terms of number of people. I believe Southeast is larger in terms of geographical area. RLSO MW, is kind of a hidden gem, in my opinion. You can live in Chicago, it is a very pretty base and fairly laid back. Region Midwest no longer exists, it was absorbed by MIDLANT, but for some reason the RLSO endures.

The Navy Yard is a fun place to be too. You will interact with a ton of senior JAGs if you want. Something like 25% of all our JAGs are in the DC area, mainly supporting OJAG (HQ)
I have 3 kids so you piqued my interest: we're talking local public schools?
I didnt really read this thread so you might have got the answers you need. Im active duty and spent 3 years at JBPHH. I have two kids as well that both attended school on base. PM me if you have questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:36 pm

I've heard rumor that once you commission (still have a year left of law school) you can drill with the reserves if you wanted to. Is anyone doing this or is it purely theoretical and no one actually can?

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:44 pm

wg6524 wrote:I've heard rumor that once you commission (still have a year left of law school) you can drill with the reserves if you wanted to. Is anyone doing this or is it purely theoretical and no one actually can?
I didn't ask, but I've been commissioned for almost a year now and it was never mentioned as an option (I did ask whether it was possible to go to ODS over 2L summer; spoiler: it's not), so I'm presuming that unless you are already reserves and just transferring over that the answer will be no.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

Still no ODS paperwork. Grrr..

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:02 pm

S. Goodman wrote:Still no ODS paperwork. Grrr..
Me either, but at least it'll just show up during finals then - no worries ;)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:47 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:
Me either, but at least it'll just show up during finals then - no worries ;)

Seems like they love sending out stuff during finals. lol

FrogLaw

New

Post by FrogLaw » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:30 pm

I talked to LCDR Didawick today, who is trying to get stuff organized regarding ODS paperwork, and she said that those people who will be taking a bar with later results will likely be going to the October 17 (tentative) ODS and January NJS. She said those people may not be getting official ODS orders until June though. The people with early bar results and going to the September ODS should hear relatively soon though. Maternity leave seems to have slowed the process down a bit.

fhqwhgads

New

Post by fhqwhgads » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:15 pm

Strange, I completed all of my ODS paperwork like a week ago. Or I thought I did. It included a bunch of personal information forms (like we haven't filled out enough of those) and one specifically for duty station preferences. At any rate, I won't know my bar results until October so I doubt I'll be assigned to an earlier ODS class.

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:05 pm

fhqwhgads wrote:Strange, I completed all of my ODS paperwork like a week ago. Or I thought I did. It included a bunch of personal information forms (like we haven't filled out enough of those) and one specifically for duty station preferences. At any rate, I won't know my bar results until October so I doubt I'll be assigned to an earlier ODS class.
Maybe they're sending them out by commissioning date. When was yours? I'm 7/31/15.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fhqwhgads

New

Post by fhqwhgads » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:40 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:
fhqwhgads wrote:Strange, I completed all of my ODS paperwork like a week ago. Or I thought I did. It included a bunch of personal information forms (like we haven't filled out enough of those) and one specifically for duty station preferences. At any rate, I won't know my bar results until October so I doubt I'll be assigned to an earlier ODS class.
Maybe they're sending them out by commissioning date. When was yours? I'm 7/31/15.
I commissioned just last month on 03/16/16. I don't really know what's up with the delays.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:41 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:

7/6/15 for me, or at least that is what my commission certificate says, I actually didn't swear in until early August. I'm not sure which one counts as your "commissioning date." I haven't gotten anything in regard to ODS, and actually haven't heard anything since last summer.

Also as a side note, I've tried now twice to get a ID card and have been shut down by DEERS both times. Both times because "I wasn't in the system," whatever that means. lol Anyone else have luck on that front?

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:03 am

S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:

7/6/15 for me, or at least that is what my commission certificate says, I actually didn't swear in until early August. I'm not sure which one counts as your "commissioning date." I haven't gotten anything in regard to ODS, and actually haven't heard anything since last summer.

Also as a side note, I've tried now twice to get a ID card and have been shut down by DEERS both times. Both times because "I wasn't in the system," whatever that means. lol Anyone else have luck on that front?
No news on any IDs - I'm resigned to just getting them at ODS.

But for commissioning date, the one that counts is the day you actually swore in. My framed commission also has 7/6/15 on it, but in talkig with LCDR Dittawik, she told me that it's when you sign the service agreement and take the oath.

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:39 am

JAG Hopeful wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:

No news on any IDs - I'm resigned to just getting them at ODS.

But for commissioning date, the one that counts is the day you actually swore in. My framed commission also has 7/6/15 on it, but in talkig with LCDR Dittawik, she told me that it's when you sign the service agreement and take the oath.
Likewise. I'm 4/18/15 and just heard from LCDR Didawick asking what bar I'm taking this last week. My guess is that they're sending the 3Ls currently in the commissioning process/just finished their paperwork and then working through the rest of us who commissioned as 2Ls.

Also, similarly no luck on the ID issue. I'm thinking maybe once we have orders in hand? But we may just have to wait until we're at ODS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:42 am

JAG Hopeful wrote:

Oh okay, so I guess mine is August 3rd, not July 6.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:44 am

JEB wrote:
Also, similarly no luck on the ID issue. I'm thinking maybe once we have orders in hand? But we may just have to wait until we're at ODS.

I'm going to try again once we get orders, otherwise there is no harm in waiting I suppose.

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:37 pm

Officially PQ'd as of this morning. Recruiter is packaging everything and sending it out. I hope the turn around is quick because I leave for a summer clerkship out of state and want to swear in locally.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:10 am

Please tell me that someone else has already started checking the website and looking for RUMINT on when the results are going to be posted. My count has tomorrow officially being 9 weeks since applications were due.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”