Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
fhqwhgads

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by fhqwhgads » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:44 am

NavyJAG1 wrote:Board met last week. Hopefully they release results in next few weeks.
Thanks for the updates! Let's hope the results are released soon. Good luck to all who applied!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:04 pm

I know it's way early, but the website looks to be down. Could it mean they're updating?

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:24 pm

I don't think so. I just checked and it's back on line with pending still.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Huh. Must just be me. It's still down on my end.

Edit: Back up, still pending. False alarm.

fhqwhgads

New

Post by fhqwhgads » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:25 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Huh. Must just be me. It's still down on my end.

Oh man... gave me a minor heart attack there.

I have a question though: I was going over the spring board announcement from earlier this year. It said that they only accepted EIGHT interns/externs who applied for that board. Is it just me, or does that seem shockingly low? It certainly made me feel pretty terrible about my chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:31 pm

How many were there?

SEC_Law

New

Post by SEC_Law » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:53 pm

fhqwhgads wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Huh. Must just be me. It's still down on my end.

Oh man... gave me a minor heart attack there.

I have a question though: I was going over the spring board announcement from earlier this year. It said that they only accepted EIGHT interns/externs who applied for that board. Is it just me, or does that seem shockingly low? It certainly made me feel pretty terrible about my chances.
I wouldn't take too much from that. Some interns may have decided Navy wasn't for them. Others may have decided to apply to a different branch. Combine that with the majority of interns only having completed 1L year and you've got somewhat of an explanation (albeit not a very helpful one). That's at least what I am taking from that statistic.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:57 pm

Yeah assuming that not all the interns applied that doesn't really seem like bad odds.

fhqwhgads

New

Post by fhqwhgads » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:20 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Yeah assuming that not all the interns applied that doesn't really seem like bad odds.
Fair enough. There were quite a few interns where I was (probably a couple dozen), and from that I assumed there were hundreds across the country total. I was probably wrong about those numbers, but with that as my foundation 8 interns semed like slim pickings. I do remember being surprised at how few rising 3L students were interns. You could tell us apart by how tired and jaded we were with the law and life in general.

I suppose what will happen, will happen! Also, happy Turkey day everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:46 am

Couple dozen? If you look at last years summer interns there were like 20 total, throughout the country. At least 20 they highlighted on the website

SEC_Law

New

Post by SEC_Law » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:18 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Couple dozen? If you look at last years summer interns there were like 20 total, throughout the country. At least 20 they highlighted on the website
I have heard that there were 60 total. I believe that number because I was an intern and was not "highlighted." My understanding of that was that if you were there on a certain date early in the summer you got highlighted. I arrived at the beginning of June.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:11 pm

Yeah, I don't think the highlighting means anything. Just reading chicken bones at this point.

But yeah, I know not all interns actually apply. I met a few who said they were just doing the internship for the hell of it, and a few who said they were more interested in other branches

fhqwhgads

New

Post by fhqwhgads » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:18 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Yeah, I don't think the highlighting means anything. Just reading chicken bones at this point.

But yeah, I know not all interns actually apply. I met a few who said they were just doing the internship for the hell of it, and a few who said they were more interested in other branches
Indeed. That's fair. It's funny how much I begin to read into things the closer a response gets. Less internet = more sanity sometimes.

I was in D.C., and there were so many interns working in various offices and buildings that I didn't even meet most of them until the end. It was a really cool experience overall, though. I will try to temper my nerves and excitement for the time being. For now, there is a sweet potato pie calling my name...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:22 pm

Place your bets. Who thinks it'll be this week?

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:28 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Place your bets. Who thinks it'll be this week?
I don't know.. I am putting money on the week of the 7th.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:42 pm

You're probably right, unfortunately.

fhqwhgads

New

Post by fhqwhgads » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:48 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:You're probably right, unfortunately.
I'm keepin' the hope alive for this week. The AF results were out relatively early this year, and maybe the Navy's will be the same.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:11 pm

I think it'll be over 3DEC15 but at or under 15DEC15.

SEC_Law

New

Post by SEC_Law » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:23 pm

I wouldn't know where to begin but I'm hoping its soon because I do not want to be anticipating during exams. There's just nothing quite like waiting on an email and studying for Conflicts of Laws at the same time.

Stubbazubba

New

Post by Stubbazubba » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:56 am

I think this week is possible, but I am telling myself next week. Don't want to get too excited. And, yeah, as SEC_Law says, I don't want this hanging over me all through finals.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:55 am

And just to confirm, we won't have any warning or heads up, right? We'll just check one day and the status will be updated.

Echoing everyone that having this out there during finals blows. I wish I could just call the JAG accessions office and ask when the info would be out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fhqwhgads

New

Post by fhqwhgads » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:32 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:And just to confirm, we won't have any warning or heads up, right? We'll just check one day and the status will be updated.

Echoing everyone that having this out there during finals blows. I wish I could just call the JAG accessions office and ask when the info would be out.
That's what I've seen happen in the past. However, if you interned (that is to say... if you're lucky and your supervisor checks the list), I was told you may also receive a phone call.

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:10 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:And just to confirm, we won't have any warning or heads up, right? We'll just check one day and the status will be updated.

Yes, you'll just check one day and the status will have updated. A couple hours after the status updates, you'll get an email from JAG Accessions (at least if you were PR'd. Don't know if you get one if you're a non-PR.)

I'd tell you not to stress about it, but that would be kind of pointless coming from someone who obsessively checked the website every 30 minutes or so (during waking hours) the entire week leading up to the results being released.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Yeah, stressing and F5ing regularly are givens at this point, sadly.

fhqwhgads

New

Post by fhqwhgads » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:20 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Yeah, stressing and F5ing regularly are givens at this point, sadly.
Earlier my bookmark for the Navy's application website stopped working and I had a minor panic attack thinking they were updating statuses. Then I realized the problem was on my end and the website was still working fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”