Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cubbies44

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by cubbies44 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:27 pm

I was selected as an alternate. Anyone on here who was selected planning on declining?

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:43 pm

cdemps3 wrote:
Stubbazubba wrote:Has anyone heard any statistics about this board? I know last board they ended up taking 16% of applicants. Did anyone hear anything like that this time around?
Not yet but I am curious.
You can call and they will tell you the numbers.

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:49 pm

Also, are you guys talking internships or student program?

cdemps3

New

Post by cdemps3 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:43 pm

I'm talking about the student program, but I think others have been posting about the internship. What are you an alternate for? Best of luck getting in whatever it is!

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:09 pm

cdemps3 wrote:I'm talking about the student program, but I think others have been posting about the internship. What are you an alternate for? Best of luck getting in whatever it is!
I'm an alternate for the student program. Hoping someone declines or something so I can get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cdemps3

New

Post by cdemps3 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:19 am

cubbies44 wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:I'm talking about the student program, but I think others have been posting about the internship. What are you an alternate for? Best of luck getting in whatever it is!
I'm an alternate for the student program. Hoping someone declines or something so I can get in.

Oh damn, well good luck. I know my deadline to accept is May 4, so hopefully you will hear back this week.

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:40 am

cdemps3 wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

Oh damn, well good luck. I know my deadline to accept is May 4, so hopefully you will hear back this week.
My deadline to accept is May 4 as well. I'm supposed to continue with the process of MEPs, background check, etc. just like you guys. Hopefully at least one spot will be for sure open by the fourth.

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:55 pm

cdemps3 wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

Good luck to you as well. Have you been assigned a recruiter yet? I think I read somewhere that it takes about 4 weeks but not sure. I'm just excited to get the process started.

cdemps3

New

Post by cdemps3 » Sun May 01, 2016 3:38 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

Good luck to you as well. Have you been assigned a recruiter yet? I think I read somewhere that it takes about 4 weeks but not sure. I'm just excited to get the process started.
Yeah not yet, just trying to make it through finals without stressing too much about that haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Tue May 03, 2016 12:43 pm

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote: Second, I'm thinking of pursuing an unoffocial internship if I weren't able to get the official one due to the tough competition. I read I should contact the local base in my area and ask to speak to the person in charge of recruiting or an SJA and the chief paralegal. Can anyone elaborate on this process? (e.g. If I should reach out to small vs. large base, if I should send a writing sample/resume via email to the office or if I should call directly).
I was able to get an unpaid internship with the local Air Force base. However, I got the contact through a professor who knew a guy who knew a guy. In any case I was able to procure a letter of recommendation from the SJA (an O-6) & get selected in the USN JAG.

If I were in your position I'd call the base legal office and start there. There'll be probably a civilian or enlisted who answers the phone. Tell them your situation (being a student, looking for an internship) and see if they can connect you or put you in contact with a JAG officer or the SJA's secretary. Then go from there, be a lawyer & plead your case; whether on the phone or e-mail. Tell them of your lifelong dream of being a JAG Officer and what not, how you're looking for experience, public service etc. Probably a resume is a good thing to send too.

ALL the JAs there have been where you are; just a law student looking for a break. They respect boldness & being direct. They want people who are motivated and go after what they want; it's the military after all. They know what you're going through. Worst case they say no.

cdemps3

New

Post by cdemps3 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 pm

I got assigned a recruiter today (2L). Hopefully if you haven't heard, you will soon.

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Thu May 26, 2016 9:52 pm

Since it's been radio silence, here's a (somewhat) frivolous question: do JAGs get to wear swords for the extremely formal occasions, like change of command, ODS graduation, etc? Should my wife purchase one for me as a gift?

And, more serious: any official orders for anyone yet, particularly student program folks?

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Thu May 26, 2016 10:18 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:Since it's been radio silence, here's a (somewhat) frivolous question: do JAGs get to wear swords for the extremely formal occasions, like change of command, ODS graduation, etc? Should my wife purchase one for me as a gift?

And, more serious: any official orders for anyone yet, particularly student program folks?
As to the first, I don't know for sure, but we're still officers, so presumably we *can* wear swords for formal occasions (though I doubt ODS graduation counts).

As to the second, my understanding is that the combination of LCDR Gehlen being out and and all the chaos with NJS timing has resulted in a significant delay in orders going out. They're still working on orders for the August NJS Basic Lawyer Course (not actually positive that they've even started on those yet), and they haven't yet ironed out the October BLC schedule either.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Thu May 26, 2016 11:17 pm

Are you talking orders for people selected this last board?

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Fri May 27, 2016 6:18 am

cubbies44 wrote:Are you talking orders for people selected this last board?
Anyone supposedly going to training this fall. I'm a spring 15 select, but it seems like everyone is still waiting too though.

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:42 am

Oh okay. I was wondering how you finished everything so quickly because we were just assigned recruiters like 3 weeks ago but nevermind haha

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:52 pm

I have a question for you guys further along in the process. I read that we will need $2,000-$3,000 when we go to ODS to purchase uniforms... A. Is that extremely large number accurate? And B. Where are we supposed to get $3,000 from when we just graduated law school and took bar exam?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Where's everyone at in process? I've heard commissioning around July...

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Fri May 27, 2016 7:51 pm

cubbies44 wrote:I have a question for you guys further along in the process. I read that we will need $2,000-$3,000 when we go to ODS to purchase uniforms... A. Is that extremely large number accurate? And B. Where are we supposed to get $3,000 from when we just graduated law school and took bar exam?
They'll actually take payment in blood. $500/qt, but only if you pay all at once. :P

Honestly, yes, our uniforms will cost a pretty penny, in part because military uniforms are expensive and in part because we have so many different ones that we have to buy the components of (SDBs, SDWs, Summer Whites, Khakis, NWUs, PT). Unless you have that kind of cash lying around (or can borrow it from someone), you'll probably be stuck with doing the STAR Card (which does get you a 10% discount, but it's a brand new revolving credit account on your credit report, not the best for your credit score) and paying it down in the 5th week of training using your pay from the previous four weeks.

I obviously have not been to ODS yet, though, so I can't say with certainty.

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:21 pm

JEB wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:I have a question for you guys further along in the process. I read that we will need $2,000-$3,000 when we go to ODS to purchase uniforms... A. Is that extremely large number accurate? And B. Where are we supposed to get $3,000 from when we just graduated law school and took bar exam?
They'll actually take payment in blood. $500/qt, but only if you pay all at once. :P

Honestly, yes, our uniforms will cost a pretty penny, in part because military uniforms are expensive and in part because we have so many different ones that we have to buy the components of (SDBs, SDWs, Summer Whites, Khakis, NWUs, PT). Unless you have that kind of cash lying around (or can borrow it from someone), you'll probably be stuck with doing the STAR Card (which does get you a 10% discount, but it's a brand new revolving credit account on your credit report, not the best for your credit score) and paying it down in the 5th week of training using your pay from the previous four weeks.

I obviously have not been to ODS yet, though, so I can't say with certainty.
I was hoping there was some type of credit line. I couldn't imagine them just hanging us out to dry. How long did it take you to submit your paperwork and go through MEPS?

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Fri May 27, 2016 8:32 pm

I got selected at the Fall 2014 board, got approved at MEPS in February 2015, and commissioned in April 2015.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:46 pm

I just finished MEPS and am in background check phase. Hopefully hear something in a month???

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:21 pm

Fall 2015 SP PR.. Just swore in on Tuesday. Survived my first bout of military bureaucracy. Now comes the easy(?) part, finishing 3L year and passing the bar.. right?

Congrats to all of the Spring PRs, it is a long and sometimes grueling process, but well worth it.

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:Fall 2015 SP PR.. Just swore in on Tuesday. Survived my first bout of military bureaucracy. Now comes the easy(?) part, finishing 3L year and passing the bar.. right?

Congrats to all of the Spring PRs, it is a long and sometimes grueling process, but well worth it.
Wow, that is a really long time. Congrats though!

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:47 am

For those of you who have already commissioned, how long did it take? I read you have more paperwork, height and weight measurements, and then oath. I was curious how long it took? I was wanting my family to come but don't want them to have to wait forever.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”