Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shintopig

Bronze

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by shintopig » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:29 pm

S. Goodman wrote:Does anyone know the typical ODS class dates? My BAR is the last week of July, 2016. Trying to determine how much money my wife and I will need next summer to survive from the end of LS to the beginning of NJS.
First Things First. Happy Independence Day everyone. Get to your tv to watch Will Smith punch aliens in the face. Or do the patriotic thing and dig into your Con law books and learn about levels of scrutiny.

Second, ODS from my LCDR's email is August or October; depending when your bar results are released. That's literally what I was told. They tell you which date later. For example, it's early July and I apparently still could head out in less than a month. (god, please no; bar studying has turned me into an amoeba :oops:) I've been told that since my bar results release in November though, my likely ODS date is the October class.

So plan 3-4 months post-graduation + ~1 month between ODS & NJS for living expenses outside the Navy's bill.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:35 am

shintopig wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Does anyone know the typical ODS class dates? My BAR is the last week of July, 2016. Trying to determine how much money my wife and I will need next summer to survive from the end of LS to the beginning of NJS.
First Things First. Happy Independence Day everyone. Get to your tv to watch Will Smith punch aliens in the face. Or do the patriotic thing and dig into your Con law books and learn about levels of scrutiny.

Second, ODS from my LCDR's email is August or October; depending when your bar results are released. That's literally what I was told. They tell you which date later. For example, it's early July and I apparently still could head out in less than a month. (god, please no; bar studying has turned me into an amoeba :oops:) I've been told that since my bar results release in November though, my likely ODS date is the October class.

So plan 3-4 months post-graduation + ~1 month between ODS & NJS for living expenses outside the Navy's bill.
So you don't go to ODS until you get your BAR results?

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:39 am

S. Goodman wrote:So you don't go to ODS until you get your BAR results?
No, no. To go to ODS you just have to be commissioned. Then you get your bar results after, and contingent on those you can go to ODS which requires bar-passage.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:02 am

shintopig wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:So you don't go to ODS until you get your BAR results?
No, no. To go to ODS you just have to be commissioned. Then you get your bar results after, and contingent on those you can go to ODS which requires bar-passage.

I think you meant to put NJS right but mistakenly put ODS twice? I get it, thanks for the information.

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:09 am

S. Goodman wrote: I think you meant to put NJS right but mistakenly put ODS twice? I get it, thanks for the information.
Correct. My bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:40 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
Same here Jag Hopeful! I got PR'd May 2015 and I'm a rising 3L. I haven't been to MEPS yet either, although I do go early next week. I too think I want a big ceremony in uniform. I used to be an enlisted Marine so receiving a commission is an unbelievably big deal for me. I'd say go for the ceremony if you want! You will likely only be commissioned once in your life!

Also, congratulations on the waivers!

So I went to MEPS early this week. There was a big debacle there and I was dis-qualified. After some finagling by my recruiter, and seeing a private physician this week, it all worked out. I got my N3M letter today and I am good to go to commission!!!

I asked about being commissioned in uniform and was told that was not possible. Don't know if that is true, I'll investigate further and keep you all up to date.

Dani2920

New

Post by Dani2920 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:26 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
Same here Jag Hopeful! I got PR'd May 2015 and I'm a rising 3L. I haven't been to MEPS yet either, although I do go early next week. I too think I want a big ceremony in uniform. I used to be an enlisted Marine so receiving a commission is an unbelievably big deal for me. I'd say go for the ceremony if you want! You will likely only be commissioned once in your life!

So I went to MEPS early this week. There was a big debacle there and I was dis-qualified. After some finagling by my recruiter, and seeing a private physician this week, it all worked out. I got my N3M letter today and I am good to go to commission!!!

I asked about being commissioned in uniform and was told that was not possible. Don't know if that is true, I'll investigate further and keep you all up to date.
Congratulations!!!! I also had a debacle at MEPS and know how nerve-racking it can be! It's such a relief to get the N3M letter :D

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:52 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Congrats dude, told ya you'd be fine :)

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:54 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Excellent news! Congrats.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mer

New

Post by mer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:44 pm

shintopig wrote: For example, it's early July and I apparently still could head out in less than a month. (god, please no; bar studying has turned me into an amoeba :oops:)
Yes, the fact that August ODS is six weeks from now is starting to worry me, considering I get my bar results back in September and likely will be in that class but haven't heard anything on commissioning. Is there any guarantee that the security clearance will be back in time?

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:53 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Congrats dude, told ya you'd be fine :)

Thanks guys. Glad to officially be out of the 3L job rat race! I have to say it feels amazing!!

FrogLaw

New

Post by FrogLaw » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:39 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Do you know how soon you will be able to commission?

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:18 pm

mer wrote:
shintopig wrote: For example, it's early July and I apparently still could head out in less than a month. (god, please no; bar studying has turned me into an amoeba :oops:)
Yes, the fact that August ODS is six weeks from now is starting to worry me, considering I get my bar results back in September and likely will be in that class but haven't heard anything on commissioning. Is there any guarantee that the security clearance will be back in time?
I can't imagine they'd write orders for you to go to ODS if you're not commissioned yet. Commissioning is a prerequisite for ODS.

I'd get on your recruiter's tail and find out what's the hold-up. Keep bothering him as long as it's in his hands.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:14 am

FrogLaw wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Do you know how soon you will be able to commission?
No the recruiter just said he submitted the package, and that he didn't know how long it would take. I'm guessing maybe a month.

seanmalexander

New

Post by seanmalexander » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:31 am

Hi All,

Longtime post reader, first-time poster. I was PR'd as a DA from the spring board. My package was complete and submitted a week ago, and it is working its way through the process. Hoping to be one of be 1st 9 to commission for the earliest ODS school. I Received one call back regarding a tatoo waiver, but other than that crickets over the last week.

BiggestJer

New

Post by BiggestJer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:14 pm

I'm also a spring board DA pro rec; just got through MEPS two weeks ago, and got my medical waiver early last week. Recruiter has submitted everything, and now I'm waiting.

It seems like a bunch of us are on a similar timeline. Anyone have any clue how long after submission of the package that commissioning will be approved?

Navy2015

New

Post by Navy2015 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:55 am

BiggestJer wrote:I'm also a spring board DA pro rec; just got through MEPS two weeks ago, and got my medical waiver early last week. Recruiter has submitted everything, and now I'm waiting.

It seems like a bunch of us are on a similar timeline. Anyone have any clue how long after submission of the package that commissioning will be approved?
My recruiter says he's seen it as fast as 1 week, but 2-3 isn't uncommon. Depends if the processor has something with higher priority going on.

My stuff was submitted a month ago, so I thought I would be done, but a form was left out, so it just got resubmitted today (or tomorrow). As of a week ago, no one from our selection group had commissioned. Sounds like I've lost the head start I had, but we'll see I guess.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kakaa001

New

Post by kakaa001 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:55 am

Navy2015 wrote:
BiggestJer wrote:I'm also a spring board DA pro rec; just got through MEPS two weeks ago, and got my medical waiver early last week. Recruiter has submitted everything, and now I'm waiting.

My recruiter says he's seen it as fast as 1 week, but 2-3 isn't uncommon. Depends if the processor has something with higher priority going on.

My stuff was submitted a month ago, so I thought I would be done, but a form was left out, so it just got resubmitted today (or tomorrow). As of a week ago, no one from our selection group had commissioned. Sounds like I've lost the head start I had, but we'll see I guess.
I was told 1-5 weeks for commissioning docs turnaround, with 3 being the likelihood. For what it's worth, mine took 7 weeks to arrive.

Navy2015

New

Post by Navy2015 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:58 pm

kakaa001 wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:

I was told 1-5 weeks for commissioning docs turnaround, with 3 being the likelihood. For what it's worth, mine took 7 weeks to arrive.
Thanks for the info. If anyone from spring 2015 DA selectees gets their docs back, please update me here on how long it took. Independent of class stuff, I have some obligations that I didn't think would conflict with commissioning in time, but here we are.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:47 am

Everyone from the Spring board make the deadline? If not, did anything or is anything negative happening in regard to your pro rec?

Navy2015

New

Post by Navy2015 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 am

S. Goodman wrote:Everyone from the Spring board make the deadline? If not, did anything or is anything negative happening in regard to your pro rec?
You're talking about the 60 day thing right? I think it sounds more like no one made the deadline. As long as you move as fast as they'll let you, I can't imagine it being a problem.
Last edited by Navy2015 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BiggestJer

New

Post by BiggestJer » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:53 am

Navy2015 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Everyone from the Spring board make the deadline? If not, did anything or is anything negative happening in regard to your pro rec?
I think it sounds more like no one made the deadline. As long as you move as fast as they'll let you, I can't imagine it being a problem.
It was my understanding that the 60 day deadline wasn't to actually commission, but rather to complete the MEPS physical, complete the SF-86, etc. By that measure, I made the deadline.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:39 pm

BiggestJer wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:
I think it sounds more like no one made the deadline. As long as you move as fast as they'll let you, I can't imagine it being a problem.
It was my understanding that the 60 day deadline wasn't to actually commission, but rather to complete the MEPS physical, complete the SF-86, etc. By that measure, I made the deadline.
This was my understanding as well.

G8r_Swammer

New

Post by G8r_Swammer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:45 am

S. Goodman wrote:
BiggestJer wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:
This was my understanding as well.

Don't sweat the pro rec so long as you're doing what you can and keep in contact with the detailer in Millington. I was recommended in the fall board but due to my medical history and MEPS/N3M's ridiculous hurdles that I had to jump through to clear all those issues up, I didn't go to MEPS until late May, and didn't get final approval from N3M until the middle of June. I didn't get my approval to commission until a week ago. I was told so long as I commission before the August ODS date, that that's where I'll go followed by the October NJS.

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:01 am

seanmalexander wrote:Hi All,

Longtime post reader, first-time poster. I was PR'd as a DA from the spring board. My package was complete and submitted a week ago, and it is working its way through the process. Hoping to be one of be 1st 9 to commission for the earliest ODS school. I Received one call back regarding a tatoo waiver, but other than that crickets over the last week.

What is the process for the tattoo waiver? I have two small wrist tattoos that I imagine will need to go through a similar process. I am a 2L applying for my first board this fall. I was placed as an "alternate" for the Summer Internship, but since the Navy doesn't publish their JAG alternate lists I don't really know how competitive that does/does not make me. For all I know, everyone gets that email.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”