Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Dawg57

Bronze

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by Dawg57 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:
I understand you are just telling us what you know. But I thought it might be interesting to get your thoughts. In years past (as best I can research) it seems both the application deadline has been later and frequently the board meets at the end of march or first couple weeks of April and the results are released a couple weeks after the board meets. Give or take.

Do you think it likely that, given the board meeting the 3rd week of March, we might actually hear back somewhere in that “8 week” range always talked about?

That would put us bearing back somewhere around the 7th-14th of April. I’m fully prepared to wait until May. But ya know. I’m being neurotic and this timeline had me thinking... lol... :roll:

Might be nice to know before I start the full on cram for finals in the back half of April.
The new[ish] accessions officer tees things up pretty quickly after the board. That being said, if leadership is out of the office/traveling, that can delay things. In other words, just because it happened one way in Spring 2017 does not mean it will be the same in Spring 2018...

Also, "8 week" range? The career website states that "Approximately ten weeks after the application deadline, results are announced..."
Thanks for the insight you can offer. I of course understand these things work the way they are going to work based on unique circumstances to every board. But just from trolling the last 5-6 years on TLS I noticed some trends in timelines. Not that I expect to be able to extrapolate any expectation because, see above.

Perhaps I got my wires crossed, I recall there being a projected 8 week timeline in previous years. I’m likely mis-informed and nevertheless I see that it says 10 weeks. So thanks for the correction there.

Either way I should relax and try to ignore thinking about it until at least April. But I haven’t had success doing that yet! Haha

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
Thanks for the insight you can offer. I of course understand these things work the way they are going to work based on unique circumstances to every board. But just from trolling the last 5-6 years on TLS I noticed some trends in timelines. Not that I expect to be able to extrapolate any expectation because, see above.

Perhaps I got my wires crossed, I recall there being a projected 8 week timeline in previous years. I’m likely mis-informed and nevertheless I see that it says 10 weeks. So thanks for the correction there.

Either way I should relax and try to ignore thinking about it until at least April. But I haven’t had success doing that yet! Haha
When in doubt, go by the careers website--the recruiting office tries to keep it as up to date as possible and they are working on adding a lot more info (think "pulling back the veil", as you stated earlier).

I'm happy to post what I know about timelines after the board meets. If you think this wait is bad, just imagine what it's like waiting for bar results...

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am

Dawg57 wrote:

When in doubt, go by the careers website--the recruiting office tries to keep it as up to date as possible and they are working on adding a lot more info (think "pulling back the veil", as you stated earlier).

I'm happy to post what I know about timelines after the board meets. If you think this wait is bad, just imagine what it's like waiting for bar results...
I think those of us still trolling these waters would appreciate that! But, yeah, I can only imagine the kind of mind-numbing distraction waiting for bar results is going to be for those few months. I suppose by now those on the board will be reporting their "water walkers" at the top tier and those throwout applications and preparing to brief those middlers for the group at-large; that is if this process is as similar to promotion boards as some have told me. Wish I could say Spring Break had the power to distract me from this, it doesn't... lol

noturaveragelawyer

New

Post by noturaveragelawyer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:58 am

Anyone want to speculate as the whether or not the federal government closure on Wednesday will delay the results? Just want to mentally prepare myself for more waiting if necessary :?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:46 pm

noturaveragelawyer wrote:Anyone want to speculate as the whether or not the federal government closure on Wednesday will delay the results? Just want to mentally prepare myself for more waiting if necessary :?
No delay as a result of the snow closure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:55 pm

noturaveragelawyer wrote:Anyone want to speculate as the whether or not the federal government closure on Wednesday will delay the results? Just want to mentally prepare myself for more waiting if necessary :?
I have no real insight, but the JAG recruitment / accessions work used to be out of Millington... however I believe recently it has been shifting to the Navy yard. So I suppose its possible they got delayed some, however with this week being the Board meeting week I would think they would make efforts to stay relatively on schedule with their process. Just speculation though.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Dawg57 wrote: I have no real insight, but the JAG recruitment / accessions work used to be out of Millington... however I believe recently it has been shifting to the Navy yard. So I suppose its possible they got delayed some, however with this week being the Board meeting week I would think they would make efforts to stay relatively on schedule with their process. Just speculation though.
Accessions is now at the Navy Yard. The only bit that remained in Millington is the orders-writing/detailing piece.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:52 pm

No delay as a result of the snow closure.
I should have known to stay quiet and wait for your more informed response Elle. When will I learn...

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:44 am

Hot off the press:

NAVY JAGC SUMMER 2018 **PAID** INTERNSHIP
Application period: 28 March - 4 April 2018

Internship Details:
--- ELIGIBILITY: Current 2Ls (rising 3Ls) (NOTE: Students who will have completed their 2nd year of law school by this summer fulfill the listed "master's degree" requirement and are eligible to apply.)
--- EMPLOYMENT PERIOD: 8 weeks (anticipated June - July 2018)
--- PAYGRADE: GS-9
--- LOCATIONS: Lemoore, CA; San Diego, CA; Groton, CT; Washington D.C.; Great Lakes, IL; Bethesda, MD; Gulfport, MS; Millington, TN; Falls Church, VA (NOTE: Applicants may apply to multiple locations but there is no option to rank preferences.)
--- TRANSCRIPT REQUIREMENT: Accepted applicants must provide an official/unofficial transcript or letter from the registrar immediately upon conclusion of the school year to verify completion of 2L studies.
--- ANNOUNCEMENT: DE-10171588-18-JEN
--- ANNOUNCEMENT OPEN DATE: 03/28/2018
--- ANNOUNCEMENT CLOSE DATE: 04/04/2018

VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT AVAILABLE HERE:: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/495038100

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:Hot off the press:

NAVY JAGC SUMMER 2018 **PAID** INTERNSHIP
Application period: 28 March - 4 April 2018
Lol.

I mean, good for whoever gets it I guess, but why even bother at this point? Seems wildly counterproductive.

Or is this for people who have already been selected for an unpaid internship? In which case I retract my lulz and say good on the Navy.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:48 pm

usn26 wrote: Lol.

I mean, good for whoever gets it I guess, but why even bother at this point? Seems wildly counterproductive.

Or is this for people who have already been selected for an unpaid internship? In which case I retract my lulz and say good on the Navy.
From what I've been told, any eligible student can apply, including those already selected for unpaid internships.

lawschoolgirl12345

New

Post by lawschoolgirl12345 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:38 pm

Has anyone started hearing about spring board selections for the Navy JAG Corps?

lawschoolgirl12345

New

Post by lawschoolgirl12345 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:40 pm

If anyone already heard form spring board, let me know. How early are selected applicants contacted before result officially released for navy jag spring board 2018?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 pm

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:If anyone already heard form spring board, let me know. How early are selected applicants contacted before result officially released for navy jag spring board 2018?
Results aren't available yet. Plan is for PRORECs to be notified first via phone/email, then online application statuses will be updated shortly thereafter. Once that is complete, an announcement will be made on the Navy JAGC Facebook page, just like last Fall.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:20 pm

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:If anyone already heard form spring board, let me know. How early are selected applicants contacted before result officially released for navy jag spring board 2018?
Elle certainly has More insight than me here, but I wouldn’t expect even those PROREC’d to hear for another two weeks-ish - but hey maybe sooner. Fingers crossed. And likewise if anyone does here, let us know! So we can start insanely checking online/waiting by the phone

deadthrone7

New

Post by deadthrone7 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:47 pm

They’re typically dead on with their “10-weeks.” Im expecting week of April 16th. If sooner- cool.

lawdaddy1

New

Post by lawdaddy1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:24 pm

Can any current JAG speak to work life after FTJA? Do court room things pick up after the first
two years of hand holding? I have heard stories..... I don't just "want a job". I would be doing this to get
active trial experience and time in the court room. Wondering the differences between AF and Navy in this regard.
Marine JAG seems to be the most active, can anyone comment on that? Thanks for any input.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 pm

lawdaddy1 wrote:Can any current JAG speak to work life after FTJA? Do court room things pick up after the first
two years of hand holding? I have heard stories..... I don't just "want a job". I would be doing this to get
active trial experience and time in the court room. Wondering the differences between AF and Navy in this regard.
Marine JAG seems to be the most active, can anyone comment on that? Thanks for any input.
Current AF JAG here. I can compare/contrast the opportunities in the AF if that becomes helpful.

I currently have some recruiting duties, so I'd also enjoy hearing from current Navy JAGs about life there. I try to give students the best picture of each branch I can, because I don't want anyone to be surprised when they interview or join.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:07 pm

lawdaddy1 wrote:Can any current JAG speak to work life after FTJA? Do court room things pick up after the first
If you want a MILJUS billet after FTJA, you usually can get it but a lot comes down to timing, the available billets when you rotate, and YOUR flexibility w.r.t. those billets. Most second tour LTs I know either did SJA stuff (i.e. base SJA, carrier-mini, ARG, sub squadron) or they went MILJUS (to include OJAG appellate codes).

They also adjusted the FTJA program (previously mentioned on this forum) where your second full year is spent either in defense or trial. This is meant to allow FTJAs to get courtroom experience. Those participating in the redesigned program are just now starting their MILJUS rotation, so stay tuned to hear how much courtroom experience they get during that year.

lawdaddy1

New

Post by lawdaddy1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:40 pm

howell wrote:
Current AF JAG here. I can compare/contrast the opportunities in the AF if that becomes helpful.

I currently have some recruiting duties, so I'd also enjoy hearing from current Navy JAGs about life there. I try to give students the best picture of each branch I can, because I don't want anyone to be surprised when they interview or join.
Thank you very much sir! :) I am most interested in AF Jag (I know wrong post, sorry Navy) and am seriously considering
the GLP program. I have heard that this puts a fairly heavy workload on an already busy law students life but am willing to do this.
Can you highlight any reasons why I should do GLP vs the one year program or DA other than the obvious? How soon can you hit
the ground running once the training is done? Is there such thing as a typical case load or is it all over the map depending
on the base etc? I am a 0L and will be choosing between Notre Dame and Vandy in the next couple of weeks. I know ND has
an ROTC attached and Vandy uses cross town Tennessee State, but does having an ROTC on campus help an ND student get the
prorec any more than a Vandy student? This is something I worry about and would influence my decision. Lastly with a 167 LSAT
and assuming median make me competitive for a GLP spot? Sorry for all the questions but I am seriously looking at this and am very focused on the criminal aspect of law so any help is greatly appreciated.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:00 pm

lawdaddy1 wrote:
howell wrote:

Thank you very much sir! :) I am most interested in AF Jag (I know wrong post, sorry Navy) and am seriously considering
the GLP program. I have heard that this puts a fairly heavy workload on an already busy law students life but am willing to do this.
Can you highlight any reasons why I should do GLP vs the one year program or DA other than the obvious? How soon can you hit
the ground running once the training is done? Is there such thing as a typical case load or is it all over the map depending
on the base etc? I am a 0L and will be choosing between Notre Dame and Vandy in the next couple of weeks. I know ND has
an ROTC attached and Vandy uses cross town Tennessee State, but does having an ROTC on campus help an ND student get the
prorec any more than a Vandy student? This is something I worry about and would influence my decision. Lastly with a 167 LSAT
and assuming median make me competitive for a GLP spot? Sorry for all the questions but I am seriously looking at this and am very focused on the criminal aspect of law so any help is greatly appreciated.
just a current 2L who has researched this a lot, but a note (Navy centric as thats what I have researched more) is base location given how beneficial externships and internships can be for your experience and your application. At Vandy you basically have Millington as far as as a potential Navy option about 2+ hours away. Of course you do also have Ft. Campbell an hour north (U.S. Army) which takes interns or externs of some kind at the OSJA basically every year (Im happy to pm about what I know about working with Ft. Campbell OSJA).

With ND you have Great Lakes RLSO, with its requisite opportunities associated with the school, some very intro information on that can be found at the end of this blog post: https://becomingadifferentkindofprofess ... y-edition/

Just all food for thought. Anything to keep my mind off of wondering when PROREC calls/emails will start going out to the lucky few.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Dawg57 wrote: Some very intro information on that can be found at the end of this blog post: https://becomingadifferentkindofprofess ... y-edition/
Take blog posts like this one with a grain of salt. Some of the info is stale/incorrect. When in doubt, refer to the official website or contact a local JAGC recruiter.

lawdaddy1

New

Post by lawdaddy1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Great Lakes would be tough for ND as it is roughly 2.5-3 hours away, though right near where I live.
Thank you for the info.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:09 pm

Dawg57 wrote: Some very intro information on that can be found at the end of this blog post: https://becomingadifferentkindofprofess ... y-edition/
Take blog posts like this one with a grain of salt. Some of the info is stale/incorrect. When in doubt, refer to the official website or contact a local JAGC recruiter.

Yeah, I mean I agree, that’s why I pointed specifically just to the bit about RLSO Great Lakes and a specific program that ND has that could allow an externshio there given posters details. But I suppose knowing in good conscience that some of that post was unreliable I should have been more clear not to rely on any other aspects of it. My bad there and good point Elle.

MichaelGScott

New

Post by MichaelGScott » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Any idea how quick the turnaround will be for selecting paid summer interns following the 4 April deadline? I will have to back out of another opportunity I have accepted if selected. I am also waiting for Spring Board results and would love an opportunity to intern at a RLSO, but it is not going to be fun breaking a previous commitment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”