Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CJLaw09

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by CJLaw09 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Now that the deadline has passed, does anyone want to share their motivational statement? There aren’t any examples from JAG applicants online. It was probably the part of the application I spent the most time on. So, posting ours could really help future applicants. I’ll start:

My civilian life revolves around being part of a team. As a father, a youth sports coach, and an avid community volunteer, the fortunes of young men and women depend on my ability to motivate, prepare, and teach them how to succeed. For me, accomplishing a shared goal with a group of people I care deeply for is far more gratifying than any victory I could enjoy as an individual.

The United States Navy is the nation’s foremost team. Built on the foundation that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, sailors and naval officers are trained to perform selfless acts in furtherance of one common goal—the preservation of freedom. It is a tradition I have longed to be a part of since I stowed away my Army fatigues fifteen years ago. Unfortunately, it is also one that has eluded me in my legal career to date.

I graduated from law school at a time when large firms and government agencies were slashing their respective workforces. Unable to feed my young family without a stable income, I was forced to hang a shingle and teach myself the finer points of lawyering without any partners, supervisors, or mentors to lean on. Nearly nine years later, I am proud to have served over 500 clients in a variety of legal disciplines. However, I’ve gone as far I can alone.

The Navy will renew my purpose as a lawyer. Working cohesively as a unit with JAG staff, I am excited with the prospect of protecting the rights of the warriors who defend our country, supporting our sailors and their families with crucial legal services, and providing command with timely, consistent, and sound advice, so they may continue to keep the homeland secure within the boundaries of the law.

Moreover, I hope to be afforded the privilege and opportunity to pass on my knowledge and skill set to a new generation of Navy Judge Advocates; mentoring them through their introduction to our esteemed profession and molding their abilities into fine-tuned tools of tradecraft. I will be honored to do for others what was never offered to me.

I am seeking a direct appointment as a U.S. Navy JAG Corp Officer because I want to utilize my unique gifts and life experiences to make a contribution to a team I can be proud of and for a mission greater than myself.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:59 pm

CJLaw09 wrote:Now that the deadline has passed, does anyone want to share their motivational statement? There aren’t any examples from JAG applicants online. It was probably the part of the application I spent the most time on. So, posting ours could really help future applicants. I’ll start:

My civilian life revolves around being part of a team. As a father, a youth sports coach, and an avid community volunteer, the fortunes of young men and women depend on my ability to motivate, prepare, and teach them how to succeed. For me, accomplishing a shared goal with a group of people I care deeply for is far more gratifying than any victory I could enjoy as an individual.

The United States Navy is the nation’s foremost team. Built on the foundation that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, sailors and naval officers are trained to perform selfless acts in furtherance of one common goal—the preservation of freedom. It is a tradition I have longed to be a part of since I stowed away my Army fatigues fifteen years ago. Unfortunately, it is also one that has eluded me in my legal career to date.

I graduated from law school at a time when large firms and government agencies were slashing their respective workforces. Unable to feed my young family without a stable income, I was forced to hang a shingle and teach myself the finer points of lawyering without any partners, supervisors, or mentors to lean on. Nearly nine years later, I am proud to have served over 500 clients in a variety of legal disciplines. However, I’ve gone as far I can alone.

The Navy will renew my purpose as a lawyer. Working cohesively as a unit with JAG staff, I am excited with the prospect of protecting the rights of the warriors who defend our country, supporting our sailors and their families with crucial legal services, and providing command with timely, consistent, and sound advice, so they may continue to keep the homeland secure within the boundaries of the law.

Moreover, I hope to be afforded the privilege and opportunity to pass on my knowledge and skill set to a new generation of Navy Judge Advocates; mentoring them through their introduction to our esteemed profession and molding their abilities into fine-tuned tools of tradecraft. I will be honored to do for others what was never offered to me.

I am seeking a direct appointment as a U.S. Navy JAG Corp Officer because I want to utilize my unique gifts and life experiences to make a contribution to a team I can be proud of and for a mission greater than myself.
Well done with exactly 400 words -- Not sure I am ready, just yet to share mine given what an easy identifier it is. But, I think that's an exceptional statement, for what my opinion is worth. There are things you touched on in there that are unique experiences,no doubt, and some structure you implemented that I will definitely use should I end up reapplying and writing another statement in the future. I think I will consider sharing mine. But not sure exactly when yet, or what elements of it I will share yet.

I need to find a hobby - some way to make most of Feb. and all of March go by a little faster without Navy JAG on the brain. haha

CJLaw09

New

Post by CJLaw09 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
CJLaw09 wrote:Now that the deadline has passed, does anyone want to share their motivational statement? There aren’t any examples from JAG applicants online. It was probably the part of the application I spent the most time on. So, posting ours could really help future applicants. I’ll start:

Well done with exactly 400 words -- Not sure I am ready, just yet to share mine given what an easy identifier it is. But, I think that's an exceptional statement, for what my opinion is worth. There are things you touched on in there that are unique experiences,no doubt, and some structure you implemented that I will definitely use should I end up reapplying and writing another statement in the future. I think I will consider sharing mine. But not sure exactly when yet, or what elements of it I will share yet.

I need to find a hobby - some way to make most of Feb. and all of March go by a little faster without Navy JAG on the brain. haha
Thank you. I appreciate it.

This thread was an invaluable resource for me. As you know, there just isn’t a lot of information pertaining to the nut and bolts of the full application process online. This thread was the exception. So, I just wanted to make my contribution for future applicants. I remember when S. Goodman, the creator of this thread, was accepted, he pulled the veil back a bit and gave a full commentary about the whole process. I merely wanted to play a part in doing the same. Maybe it will help another applicant realize their dream, too, even if I am not selected.

As far as waiting, I hear ya. It reminds me a lot of waiting for bar exam results. Nothing to do but stew. At least this time, I have my work to keep me busy most of the time. Although, in downtime I can’t help but keep checking back to this site, reading ODS blogs, and watching Navy videos. My wife told me the other day she is sick of listening to “that guy who screams, ‘what up fam’ in the annoying voice” every morning when I’m in the shower.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:32 pm

CJLaw09 wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:

Thank you. I appreciate it.

This thread was an invaluable resource for me. As you know, there just isn’t a lot of information pertaining to the nut and bolts of the full application process online. This thread was the exception. So, I just wanted to make my contribution for future applicants. I remember when S. Goodman, the creator of this thread, was accepted, he pulled the veil back a bit and gave a full commentary about the whole process. I merely wanted to play a part in doing the same. Maybe it will help another applicant realize their dream, too, even if I am not selected.

As far as waiting, I hear ya. It reminds me a lot of waiting for bar exam results. Nothing to do but stew. At least this time, I have my work to keep me busy most of the time. Although, in downtime I can’t help but keep checking back to this site, reading ODS blogs, and watching Navy videos. My wife told me the other day she is sick of listening to “that guy who screams, ‘what up fam’ in the annoying voice” every morning when I’m in the shower.

Haha yeah I will pull the veil back as much as I can, ehtically speaking, to at least equip future applicants to do theri best in prepping an application. Just want the time to be right. And want to get PR'd first, that would be ideal, lol.

Ok, so I am definitely almost sure I know which YTer you are talking about...haha "what up fam" lol -- my wife is the same way. I keep the amount of obsessive research I do pretty under wraps, but she still rolls her eyes watching it consume me.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Dawg57 wrote: Haha yeah I will pull the veil back as much as I can, ehtically speaking, to at least equip future applicants to do theri best in prepping an application. Just want the time to be right. And want to get PR'd first, that would be ideal, lol.
What part of the "veil" still needs to be pulled back? What about the application process is so mysterious, especially after all the information provided in this and the other Military Law threads? (I am truly curious)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:53 am

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:
Dawg57 wrote: Haha yeah I will pull the veil back as much as I can, ehtically speaking, to at least equip future applicants to do theri best in prepping an application. Just want the time to be right. And want to get PR'd first, that would be ideal, lol.
What part of the "veil" still needs to be pulled back? What about the application process is so mysterious, especially after all the information provided in this and the other Military Law threads? (I am truly curious)
Yeah I’d say that was a bit dramatic. But one, I could synthesize plenty of info I’ve found- including much that is contained and two, I certainly learned some things from the CDR I interviewed with that was new or clarified info. But you do have a valid point

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:10 am

Changing topics, I have wondered for those currently commissioned or going through the process post-PR; what did you or have you secured for employment between graduating/taking the bar and shipping off to ODS and then MJS? Seems like that could be anywhere from a 3-6 month chunk where it would make sense to be working but hard to envision how a conversation would go asking someone to let you work for them/clerk knowing you are leaving around in fall for a month and then for good the end of the year. Or have some just worked normal full or part time jobs that aren’t JD related?

lawschoolgirl12345

New

Post by lawschoolgirl12345 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:04 pm

When are we going to hear results for spring board SP 2018? In April or in May?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:21 pm

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:When are we going to hear results for spring board SP 2018? In April or in May?
Approximately 10 weeks after the deadline, aka April.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ak7ja

New

Post by ak7ja » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
Yeah I’d say that was a bit dramatic. But one, I could synthesize plenty of info I’ve found- including much that is contained and two, I certainly learned some things from the CDR I interviewed with that was new or clarified info. But you do have a valid point
Pretty much everything you need to know is available in the JAG Corp's Recruiting, Internship/Externship, Structured Interview, and Accessions Program's publicly available instruction in the Navy JAG Library (JAG/COMNAVLEGSVCCOM INSTRUCTION 1150.1D). Also, I know you didn't do this, but posting your entire personal statement/other identifiable information not only could throw off future applicants if you're not accepted, but also out you to any of the accessions folks that might look at the forum. Be careful not to be overly confident.

On the topic of personal statements...I think applicants have to be careful and talk less about how great you are or how being a JAG would help you meet your goals or whatever...but moreso about what you can bring to the JAG Corps/how you being a JAG would help the Navy. It can be a tricky needle to thread.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:42 pm

Yeah, this thread provides at least 2-3 years of data to show fairly consistent timetables of when to expect results. let the waiting continue for us... good luck to all those few lurkers and such still here that applied this board.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:47 pm

ak7ja wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:
Pretty much everything you need to know is available in the JAG Corp's Recruiting, Internship/Externship, Structured Interview, and Accessions Program's publicly available instruction in the Navy JAG Library (JAG/COMNAVLEGSVCCOM INSTRUCTION 1150.1D). Also, I know you didn't do this, but posting your entire personal statement/other identifiable information not only could throw off future applicants if you're not accepted, but also out you to any of the accessions folks that might look at the forum. Be careful not to be overly confident.

On the topic of personal statements...I think applicants have to be careful and talk less about how great you are or how being a JAG would help you meet your goals or whatever...but moreso about what you can bring to the JAG Corps/how you being a JAG would help the Navy. It can be a tricky needle to thread.

I agree - I dont know anything that cant be found elsewhere, the only way I might be of very limited value would be to summarize some info to folks here that I have compiled. And I also totally agree with giving any information about your application or anything you learn from the internal application process. For numerous reasons, the ones you list included, I figured giving details about my application or my personal statement just felt like a little ill-advised at this point or maybe any point in the future. Thus the reason for my hesitation.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:36 pm

ak7ja wrote: Pretty much everything you need to know is available in the JAG Corp's Recruiting, Internship/Externship, Structured Interview, and Accessions Program's publicly available instruction in the Navy JAG Library (JAG/COMNAVLEGSVCCOM INSTRUCTION 1150.1D). Also, I know you didn't do this, but posting your entire personal statement/other identifiable information not only could throw off future applicants if you're not accepted, but also out you to any of the accessions folks that might look at the forum. Be careful not to be overly confident.

THIS. ak7ja's entire post is spot on.

Also, direct link to the referred to instruction (which was only recently posted on the JAG library website): http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/instruc ... 150.1D.pdf.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CJLaw09

New

Post by CJLaw09 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Wondering from those JA's at their duty stations whether they wear the Type III's. If so, did you purchase them at ODS or wait until you arrived at your first duty station?

I know the Type III's are an optional purchase at ODS now, but if your commands want you to have them for wear when you arrive, it makes sense to me to purchase them right away since I'll be putting out a few grand initially anyway.

Thoughts?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:06 pm

CJLaw09 wrote:Wondering from those JA's at their duty stations whether they wear the Type III's. If so, did you purchase them at ODS or wait until you arrived at your first duty station?

I know the Type III's are an optional purchase at ODS now, but if your commands want you to have them for wear when you arrive, it makes sense to me to purchase them right away since I'll be putting out a few grand initially anyway.

Thoughts?
Type IIIs are optional at my command, and due to limited availability nearly everyone is still wearing the Type I's. Nearby uniform shops only recently starting selling Type IIIs.

I don't know why you would buy the NWU Type Is unless absolutely required at ODS, given they are phased out next year. I was under the impression they aren't required for purchase anymore... but the recent ODS grads on this forum can speak to that. Also, Khakis are the default at NJS/RLSOs and you wear those until you buy/update NWUs after ODS.

If you do not need to buy ANY NWUs at ODS, DO NOT BOTHER. As you have surely seen from other posts in this forum, it would be prudent to wait until NJS or your first command to buy some of your uniform items (or buy before ODS, if you have the time, money, and availability of a nearby NEX). I had to get numerous NWU items replaced ($$$$$) because the ones purchased at ODS were incorrectly fitted. This goes for anything that won't be inspected (i.e. if you are going to ODS in July and you won't be inspected in your blues, might be a good idea to wait to buy blues when you have the time to get one-on-one fitting consults with NEX tailors).

CJLaw09

New

Post by CJLaw09 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:45 pm

CJLaw09 wrote:Wondering from those JA's at their duty stations whether they wear the Type III's. If so, did you purchase them at ODS or wait until you arrived at your first duty station?

Thoughts?
Type IIIs are optional at my command, and due to limited availability nearly everyone is still wearing the Type I's. Nearby uniform shops only recently starting selling Type IIIs.

I don't know why you would buy the NWU Type Is unless absolutely required at ODS, given they are phased out next year. I was under the impression they aren't required for purchase anymore... but the recent ODS grads on this forum can speak to that. Also, Khakis are the default at NJS/RLSOs and you wear those until you buy/update NWUs after ODS.

If you do not need to buy ANY NWUs at ODS, DO NOT BOTHER. As you have surely seen from other posts in this forum, it would be prudent to wait until NJS or your first command to buy some of your uniform items (or buy before ODS, if you have the time, money, and availability of a nearby NEX). I had to get numerous NWU items replaced ($$$$$) because the ones purchased at ODS were incorrectly fitted. This goes for anything that won't be inspected (i.e. if you are going to ODS in July and you won't be inspected in your blues, might be a good idea to wait to buy blues when you have the time to get one-on-one fitting consults with NEX tailors).
Great. Thanks.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:55 am

FSUAttorney wrote:Anyone know when the Army board will meet this month? Waiting on the results...
Navy? Idk but results are always released around finals.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:04 pm

usn26 wrote:
FSUAttorney wrote:Anyone know when the Army board will meet this month? Waiting on the results...
Yeah, you must mean Navy. From what I understand they usually meet sometime between 2nd and 4th week of March. Insert 2-4 weeks for admin processing, signatures from requisite 0-7 and ups. And the earliest we will hear something is Mid April.

As I recall NavyJag and FedAtty used to be direct connects to the inside on the schedule of the Board. But that may have changed...

FSUAttorney

New

Post by FSUAttorney » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Yeah, you must mean Navy. From what I understand they usually meet sometime between 2nd and 4th week of March. Insert 2-4 weeks for admin processing, signatures from requisite 0-7 and ups. And the earliest we will hear something is Mid April.

As I recall NavyJag and FedAtty used to be direct connects to the inside on the schedule of the Board. But that may have changed...
Wrong board! Asked the mods to delete. Thanks though.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
usn26 wrote:

FWIW, the Navy board will be held the week of 19 March.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
usn26 wrote:

Appreciated. Although I understand that this information doesn’t substantively change anything other than giving a detail of the process to those of us waiting with baited breath for results.

Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FSUAttorney

New

Post by FSUAttorney » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
usn26 wrote:

Any idea when the Army board meets? I hope the same week as the Navy board haha. I am completely in the dark.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:26 pm

FSUAttorney wrote: Any idea when the Army board meets? I hope the same week as the Navy board haha. I am completely in the dark.
Nope. They already held their FY18 AD/Reserve/Intern boards late last year. I don't know about the NG boards.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
usn26 wrote:

I understand you are just telling us what you know. But I thought it might be interesting to get your thoughts. In years past (as best I can research) it seems both the application deadline has been later and frequently the board meets at the end of march or first couple weeks of April and the results are released a couple weeks after the board meets. Give or take.

Do you think it likely that, given the board meeting the 3rd week of March, we might actually hear back somewhere in that “8 week” range always talked about?

That would put us bearing back somewhere around the 7th-14th of April. I’m fully prepared to wait until May. But ya know. I’m being neurotic and this timeline had me thinking... lol... :roll:

Might be nice to know before I start the full on cram for finals in the back half of April.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:52 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
I understand you are just telling us what you know. But I thought it might be interesting to get your thoughts. In years past (as best I can research) it seems both the application deadline has been later and frequently the board meets at the end of march or first couple weeks of April and the results are released a couple weeks after the board meets. Give or take.

Do you think it likely that, given the board meeting the 3rd week of March, we might actually hear back somewhere in that “8 week” range always talked about?

That would put us bearing back somewhere around the 7th-14th of April. I’m fully prepared to wait until May. But ya know. I’m being neurotic and this timeline had me thinking... lol... :roll:

Might be nice to know before I start the full on cram for finals in the back half of April.
The new[ish] accessions officer tees things up pretty quickly after the board. That being said, if leadership is out of the office/traveling, that can delay things. In other words, just because it happened one way in Spring 2017 does not mean it will be the same in Spring 2018...

Also, "8 week" range? The career website states that "Approximately ten weeks after the application deadline, results are announced..."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”