Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JAGbound

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by JAGbound » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks for the advice! Definitely over thinking that one.

On a separate note, does anyone have any thoughts regarding the length of the motivational statement? I know it states a 400 word max, but I feel anything more than 300 will likely go unread. Am I way off base here? For those of you that were accepted, do you remember the length?

Thanks!

ak7ja

New

Post by ak7ja » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:33 pm

JAGbound wrote:Thanks for the advice! Definitely over thinking that one.

On a separate note, does anyone have any thoughts regarding the length of the motivational statement? I know it states a 400 word max, but I feel anything more than 300 will likely go unread. Am I way off base here? For those of you that were accepted, do you remember the length?

Thanks!
If they weren't going to read past 300 words then they'd make the word limit 300. You're either trolling or reading way too into the application instructions.

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Does anyone know how/who to contact for issues with the online application? I was locked out of my account yesterday right as I was uploading my last document! I emailed the server (which was suggested in the FAQ section), but my account hasn't been restored yet. With the deadline tonight, what are my options?

Should I make another account and start over??

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Welp, submitted again, feeling hopeful. Now we begin the 2.5 month wait. Godspeed to all those nervus 2Ls, 3Ls, and DA applicants out there!

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 am

For the curious, board meets this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:05 pm

I'm assuming applicants will hear about their results prior to the Christmas holiday? I doubt many 2L's get picked up on their first look, so I'm not holding my breath. Best of luck everyone.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 am

chili_davis wrote:I'm assuming applicants will hear about their results prior to the Christmas holiday? I doubt many 2L's get picked up on their first look, so I'm not holding my breath. Best of luck everyone.
That would be a good assumption, but I have no further details at this time.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:18 pm

chili_davis wrote: I doubt many 2L's get picked up on their first look, so I'm not holding my breath.
Er mi Gawd. Please stop the rumor that 2Ls rarely get picked up.

FY18 Primary selects (Fall 17 + Spring 18 boards)
--50 2Ls
--46 3Ls

FY17 Primary selects (Fall 16 + Spring 17 boards)
--44 2Ls
--23 3Ls

There's a reason we tell applicants to "apply early, apply often."

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:
chili_davis wrote: I doubt many 2L's get picked up on their first look, so I'm not holding my breath.
Er mi Gawd. Please stop the rumor that 2Ls rarely get picked up.

FY18 Primary selects (Fall 17 + Spring 18 boards)
--50 2Ls
--46 3Ls

FY17 Primary selects (Fall 16 + Spring 17 boards)
--44 2Ls
--23 3Ls

There's a reason we tell applicants to "apply early, apply often."

While I knew that this was a rumor not supported by the numbers, I wish it were true... as a 3L re-applicant, lol. Thanks for clearing that up for folks - even those like myself in a state of stupor/denial. ha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

other guy

New

Post by other guy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:32 pm

I know several ppl who got the call today from Navy JAG. I was not one of them. Thought everyone should know.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:51 pm

other guy wrote:I know several ppl who got the call today from Navy JAG. I was not one of them. Thought everyone should know.
Interesting. Status still listed as pending - didn’t expect anything until next week.

Thanks for the info!

other guy

New

Post by other guy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:55 pm

I was an intern this summer. All of us interns made a pact to state we would inform each other when/if we got the phone call.
Note, they have a week to decide whether to go forward. IF they decide to forego this opportunity, other ppl will fill in the gap. That's why they haven't released the results yet. That's what I'm thinking.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:05 pm

other guy wrote:I was an intern this summer. All of us interns made a pact to state we would inform each other when/if we got the phone call.
Note, they have a week to decide whether to go forward. IF they decide to forego this opportunity, other ppl will fill in the gap. That's why they haven't released the results yet. That's what I'm thinking.
Nicely done. That very well may be true. Granted I would understand that’s the sort of thing the alternate list is for. But I don’t pretend to know exactly how or why they would choose to inform everyone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:36 pm

other guy wrote: IF they decide to forego this opportunity, other ppl will fill in the gap. That's why they haven't released the results yet. That's what I'm thinking.
Not how it works. The accessions office hasn't been able to get in touch with everyone that has been PROREC'd yet, but I was told they should by tomorrow and online application status will be updated after that. Facebook announcement will be made once the online application status for all applications has been completed.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:42 pm

other guy wrote: IF they decide to forego this opportunity, other ppl will fill in the gap. That's why they haven't released the results yet. That's what I'm thinking.
Not how it works. The accessions office hasn't been able to get in touch with everyone that has been PROREC'd yet, but I was told they should by tomorrow and online application status will be updated after that. Facebook announcement will be made once the online application status for all applications has been completed.

I had a feeling you would chime in eventually Elle. :) As that didn’t seem like a likely course of action for accessions.

Thanks as always!

other guy

New

Post by other guy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:48 pm

I'll be forthcoming, I was merely speculating! I'll be the first to tell you that. I even said "That's what I'm thinking."

other guy

New

Post by other guy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:33 am

Not how it works. The accessions office hasn't been able to get in touch with everyone that has been PROREC'd yet, but I was told they should by tomorrow and online application status will be updated after that. Facebook announcement will be made once the online application status for all applications has been completed.[/quote]

Does this mean they contacted ppl and were unsuccessful or they didn't get to names at the bottom of the list?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

other guy

New

Post by other guy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:35 am

Results posted.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:05 pm

It would seem all folks have been called and the app site has been updated. No luck again for me... devastating... I’ll re-apply in the Spring. Here’s to hoping the Army has a different opinion on my application.

Congrats to all those PRed and Alternates!

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:33 pm

other guy wrote:Results posted.
I hope it was better news for you than it was for me! Either way we both have another shot this academic year, at least!

other guy

New

Post by other guy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:44 am

Dawg57 wrote:
other guy wrote:Results posted.
I hope it was better news for you than it was for me! Either way we both have another shot this academic year, at least!

Nope didn't get it! IT's ok though. I had a million issues getting forms from prior service. I have a feeling I didn't get selected on account of that. I'll reapply. Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MichaelGScott

New

Post by MichaelGScott » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:37 am

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:Not how it works. The accessions office hasn't been able to get in touch with everyone that has been PROREC'd yet, but I was told they should by tomorrow and online application status will be updated after that. Facebook announcement will be made once the online application status for all applications has been completed.
A 3L at my school has mentioned that they know quite a few selects from the past 2 years who have been blindsided by medical DQs after being selected. They actually recommended that I apply for a different branch instead due to the black box of medical decisions with the Navy. Is there any truth to this or are they just exaggerating?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 am

MichaelGScott wrote: A 3L at my school has mentioned that they know quite a few selects from the past 2 years who have been blindsided by medical DQs after being selected. They actually recommended that I apply for a different branch instead due to the black box of medical decisions with the Navy. Is there any truth to this or are they just exaggerating?
Getting past medical was a beast this past year, but things appear to be getting better. How much better remains to be seen.

I'm confused as to whether you have applied (were you PROREC'd?), or if you are considering applying. The answer to that question would change how I respond.

It's no secret that many people interested in military service/JAGC apply to multiple branches. If you believe the other branches would work for you, I highly encourage you to apply to any/all. There is no judgment--one team, one fight. (but still, GO NAVY BEAT ARMY :D )

TortsIllustratedd

New

Post by TortsIllustratedd » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:31 pm

MichaelGScott wrote: A 3L at my school has mentioned that they know quite a few selects from the past 2 years who have been blindsided by medical DQs after being selected. They actually recommended that I apply for a different branch instead due to the black box of medical decisions with the Navy. Is there any truth to this or are they just exaggerating?
Getting past medical was a beast this past year, but things appear to be getting better. How much better remains to be seen.

I'm confused as to whether you have applied (were you PROREC'd?), or if you are considering applying. The answer to that question would change how I respond.

It's no secret that many people interested in military service/JAGC apply to multiple branches. If you believe the other branches would work for you, I highly encourage you to apply to any/all. There is no judgment--one team, one fight. (but still, GO NAVY BEAT ARMY :D )

Can you explain what you mean by medical was a beast? Are there common things people are getting DQ'd for? Curious as I am about to start the process and want to know what I can do to make it easier/ prepare myself for the process. Thanks so much!

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 pm

TortsIllustratedd wrote: Can you explain what you mean by medical was a beast? Are there common things people are getting DQ'd for? Curious as I am about to start the process and want to know what I can do to make it easier/ prepare myself for the process. Thanks so much!
Things that used to be easily waived were no longer waived. But I heard a few other ridiculous stories about medical simply misreading medical documents (i.e. DQ'ing someone for a condition the doctor said he did NOT have).

If you are about to start the process, make sure you get all your medical documents in order. Your recruiter will tell you what else you need (if anything). Be responsive, and if others aren't responsive, let the accessions office know about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”