Spamming law firms that don't hire 1Ls

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
buddhabelly

Spamming law firms that don't hire 1Ls

Postby buddhabelly » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:47 am

Currently looking to send a resume and cover letter to many law firms in my target market, fishing for a 1L summer position even though I know it's a long shot.

Some firms say specifically on their website that they consider 1Ls and where/how to apply. Some don't mention 1Ls. Does it look bad if I send the listed contact my resume and cover letter anyway? I don't want to come off as someone who didn't look into the website and figure out that they probably don't hire 1Ls and just blindly spammed all these firms. Thoughts on this?

Also, should I snail mail or email? Any way I can make email more legitimate, I'd rather get there out as fast as possible? What is followup etiquette when it comes to email?

banjo

Re: Spamming law firms that don't hire 1Ls

Postby banjo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:44 am

Did you check NALP directory as well? https://www.nalpdirectory.com/Page.cfm?PageID=34

If a firm isn't on NALP and doesn't expressly say that they don't take 1Ls, just send your resume and transcript. Worst that can happen is they don't respond or tell you to reapply in August.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:23 am

I told my brother (who's at a T6) to spam firms as a 1L, ended up with him getting a couple interviews at places that stated they don't hire first years. I think there's zero downside to trying. Even if you get rejected and want to reapply to some of the same firms as a 2L, I think the most likely reaction--if they remember you at all the next summer--is that you've demonstrated interest in the firm.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:43 am

bruinfan10 wrote:I told my brother (who's at a T6) to spam firms as a 1L, ended up with him getting a couple interviews at places that stated they don't hire first years. I think there's zero downside to trying. Even if you get rejected and want to reapply to some of the same firms as a 2L, I think the most likely reaction--if they remember you at all the next summer--is that you've demonstrated interest in the firm.

Agreed - make them tell you "no", because the potential downsides are pretty minimal. Also, realize that "We don't have a 1L Summer program" doesn't always apply if you're diverse, connected, or interested in pursuing IP. I received nearly-simultaneous emails from a large firm, one saying that they don't have a formal 1L Summer Program, and another inviting me to an all-day interview.

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:35 am

If anyone is interested in a list of alumni at biglaw firms from their undergrad/law school to reach out to, I put together a very large database (over 130k lawyers), you can PM me and I'll try to get back to you. I'm hoping to make it publicly available at some point through a website but I'm trying to use it for a business idea at the moment so keeping it proprietary (also it wasn't cheap to do the data collection/formatting haha). If I get inundated with requests I'm not sure I'll be able to respond but I put this together to try to help out fellow law students so if you're interested lemme know. I have practice area info as well.

ETA: I'm not offering to send over the whole database, if you let me know your undergrad and/or law school I can pull an extract of those alumni.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Nothing to lose by soliciting everyone.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”