Your Law School Accessories!!!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
elemglace

Re: Your Law School Accessories!!!

Postby elemglace » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:27 pm

ddanaher wrote:This is the best thread that i have read thus far, ps. LOVE it!

I'm planning to sport a Longchamp...i'm currently working in France and they're the favorite accessory of all the french fashion victims. If you don't live in NY and can't visit the Longchamp boutique, you can order (and customize) them online at http://www.longchamp.com

I can't decide what color I want my strap to be.

...thanks for this, by the way.

kktoot

Postby kktoot » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:18 pm

As much as I love Longchamps, I would only warn that you will ruin the bag by the end of law school because they lack substantial shape and case books are not friendly to bags, nor are shapeless bags friendly to casebooks (ie: lets the book go willy nilly in the bag, can rip pages and bindings as a result.)

I LOVE that site though! Great idea!

ddanaher

Postby ddanaher » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:01 pm

Very true, Longchamps are not the sturdiest of bags and are probably not very practical for lugging around law books. But they're just so cute :) Maybe i'll invest in a less-fashionable, but more practical bag and save the longchamp for the weekend!

lishi

Postby lishi » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:14 pm

I use this big Kate Spade bag. It's incredibly sturdy and can hold my laptop 2 big books a notebooks and all my other crap that I think I need with me.

I don't really like the colors they have available now, but they change the colors all the time.

http://www.katespade.com/product/index. ... 53.2269699

lishi

Postby lishi » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:21 pm

Nordstrom has different colors.

--LinkRemoved--

I actually think I might stock up and get the white one lol

Ridgeway

Postby Ridgeway » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:21 pm

I find the rolling backpacks odd, lazy, and annoying.

For any given class you only need a laptop and 1-3 books- carry them. [especially the guys] who just roll around have to be rather lazy. They roll them up and down the tiered classrooms, thunking after each step.

@ least a very few people use them.
I find a soft eather briefcase to work satisfactory. No need for a big/traditional/high school style backpack.

Gus Chiggins

Postby Gus Chiggins » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:50 pm

whoa.... rolling backpacks are ridiculous....

so are rolling overnight bags that people bring on airplanes and unsuccessfully try to stuff in the overhead compartment .... its called a CARRY ON for a reason.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:54 pm

I'm planning on biking to school in nice weather, so I think i'll go for a big, padded backpack that can carry my laptop and a few books....

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Despite everyone having one, I don't think Longchamp bags are good for school at all. I have the large one with the long straps, and if I put my computer and a book in it they really dig into my shoulder which gets annoying fast. Also, the bag has absolutely no shape so if my laptop and books are in it they all end up laying flat on the bottom instead of standing up and so then my bag is HUGE and really awkward to carry. It's a great bag for carrying on flights and traveling with but I think for law school I'm going to have to try something else.

I'm not a huge fan of really structured tote bags so I am considering getting another nylon type thing from Herve Chapelier. Anyone have any experience using these for books? I really want to know if they hold the shape, at least a little bit, unlike the Longchamp.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:03 pm

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Any more bag thoughts? I find myself curious.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:14 pm

Corsair wrote:You're also forgetting that the Longchamps are ugly.

Good point. I have one, but I'll agree with this. I bought it because at the time I desperately needed a new book bag and since I saw lots of them on campus I thought that it was probably a good solution, but I was wrong.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:22 pm

lishi wrote:I use this big Kate Spade bag. It's incredibly sturdy and can hold my laptop 2 big books a notebooks and all my other crap that I think I need with me.

I don't really like the colors they have available now, but they change the colors all the time.

Cute bag... I really like the shape of it, I tried it on at a store a few months ago, I just wish it didn't say kate on it! They make a similarly shaped one that just has the KS "symbol" all over it, but that's just too much branding for me.

melbel08

Postby melbel08 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:51 am

aguyingeorgia wrote:Any more bag thoughts? I find myself curious.

http://www.overstock.com/search?keyword ... ltIndex=61

lishi

Postby lishi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:51 am

limegreen wrote:
lishi wrote:I use this big Kate Spade bag. It's incredibly sturdy and can hold my laptop 2 big books a notebooks and all my other crap that I think I need with me.

Cute bag... I really like the shape of it, I tried it on at a store a few months ago, I just wish it didn't say kate on it! They make a similarly shaped one that just has the KS "symbol" all over it, but that's just too much branding for me.

I can understand that. When I first got it some people asked if my name was kate.

But as far as structured totes in general, the kate spade one is a structured tote and it hold all my books up straight or whatever. But maybe I'm being fooled because I don't think I've ever had an unstructured tote.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:42 am

Yea, I'm hoping that they come out with a new one next season that doesn't say Kate, I was thinking people would ask me if it was my name (and it's not!). It's a really nice shape though, and it definitely seems like it's sturdy enough to carry books. I may just give in and buy one if I can't find anything else.

lishi

Postby lishi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:48 am

Here are some other ones I was looking at last night and really liked that are around the same price.

http://www.katespade.com/product/index. ... age=family

But I'm one of those people that has to see a bag before I buy it, just to make sure it is what I expected. I'll prolly go to a katespade store or Nordstrom with my laptop and see if I can fit it in either of these bags before I'd buy it. But they look like they are similar to the one I have now, and going solely by the measurements seem like they could fit the same amount of stuff. And they don't say Kate!!!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 am

lishi wrote:Here are some other ones I was looking at last night and really liked that are around the same price.

But I'm one of those people that has to see a bag before I buy it, just to make sure it is what I expected. I'll prolly go to a katespade store or Nordstrom with my laptop and see if I can fit it in either of these bags before I'd buy it. But they look like they are similar to the one I have now, and going solely by the measurements seem like they could fit the same amount of stuff. And they don't say Kate!!!

Cute! I like the mercado one with the silver on the bottom a lot, it seems really neutral and like it would go with a lot. I think it's the same shape as the kate one, just a little bigger. The other one I don't know if I'd like for books, I prefer something that's the same size top and bottom and it seems tapered. Is the 5" drop on the kate bag enough to get comfortably over your shoulder?

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:58 am

I have the Kate Spade.

Love it.

undecided2011

Postby undecided2011 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:11 am

the kate spade outlet is where it's at.

you can get the tote for $50-$75, especially if you hit it up memorial day weekend. careful too, because the sizes can be deceptive. the bucket totes fit nothing.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:14 am

We just got a brand new kate spade outlet where I live and they don't have anything good. They only have all that stripey stuff and even though some of them are cute I feel like they look like they are for older people.

silveri

Postby silveri » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:26 am

I'll be riding my fixed gear to class with my books and computer in my Chrome Metropolis Messenger bag --ImageRemoved--.

I would wear black skinny jeans but I have my mothers thighs.

M20009

Postby M20009 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:33 am

lishi wrote:So my mom is trying to tell me that law school students ONLY use rolly backpacks, and that I'm going to HAVE to get a rolly backpack. I will NEVER own a rolly backpack in my life. (This isn't offense to anyone, it's a long story)

So what do you as law student use to carry your books?? Just regular backpacks?? Do girls use humongous purses?? Are the lockers helpful?? Or does everyone really use rolly backpacks?? :?

PS did I spell humongous right??? I don't think I've ever spelt that word before.

I can't believe you.

IStillPlayVideoGames

Postby IStillPlayVideoGames » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:35 am

silveri, you're so scene! Let's be besties! :)

blahblahblahblah

Postby blahblahblahblah » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 am

I have degenerative disk disease. All you people with healthy backs can suck it :) I'm getting one of those rolly things.

Oh and for the folks in their early 20's thinking "oh it isn't that heavy" some of you will live to regret it.

Ah, old age.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”