Your Law School Accessories!!! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
silveri

New

Re: Your Law School Accessories!!!

Post by silveri » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 am

IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:silveri, you're so scene! Let's be besties! :)
hah. you know it.

caits

New

Post by caits » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:07 am

I bought a North Face Surge for lugging laptop and books, purchasing anything cuter will have to wait until after I edit my huge shoulder bag/purse collection to fit into a NYC apartment, and figure out how much I can squeeze out of my budget.
--ImageRemoved--

I covet this tote but $140 is just not happening right now:

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:22 am

I had a seatbelt bag a few years ago when they first came out and I really liked it, but they get pretty dirty and too many people have them now that I wouldn't want to get another.

AJ

New

Post by AJ » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:38 am

kktoot

New

Post by kktoot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:55 am

this is what I was talking about. It's a nice looking enough bag to use in professional settings, and it has really held its shape through by abuse of 1L year.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rea=SEARCH

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elderberries

New

Post by elderberries » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:23 pm

I used Chapelier bags all through college and grad school, usually carrying them around filled with large, heavy books and my laptop. The square-bottomed construction does a pretty good job of keeping your books from getting destructively jumbled and the small interior pocket is great for pens and cellphones.

No shoulder-bag is going to be perfect, though--there's only so much weight a single shoulder can handle comfortably. But, since I find backpacks annoying (especially in the winter over a heavy coat and on other people in crowded situations), I'm planning to bring my Chapeliers to law school. And make extensive use of my locker.

melbel08

New

Post by melbel08 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:49 pm

i love my big vera bradley bag :D
definitely stickin' with it. Image

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:51 pm

The horror...my eyes...the colors... :shock:

:wink:

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:07 pm

elderberries wrote:I used Chapelier bags all through college and grad school, usually carrying them around filled with large, heavy books and my laptop. The square-bottomed construction does a pretty good job of keeping your books from getting destructively jumbled and the small interior pocket is great for pens and cellphones.

No shoulder-bag is going to be perfect, though--there's only so much weight a single shoulder can handle comfortably. But, since I find backpacks annoying (especially in the winter over a heavy coat and on other people in crowded situations), I'm planning to bring my Chapeliers to law school. And make extensive use of my locker.
Do you mean that the books lay flat on the bottom, or that they stand up on the bottom instead? I am looking for something where the books stand up only because I feel like when they lay flat in the bottom (like my Longchamp) it is really bulky and awkward to carry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:49 pm

I just bought this...

Absolutely lovely:)

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:02 pm

Unfortunately, not all of us have Macbook Airs that can fit in that cute little purse. :(

::secretly hating Emmy out of jealousy::

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:09 pm

lishi wrote:Unfortunately, not all of us have Macbook Airs that can fit in that cute little purse. :(

::secretly hating Emmy out of jealousy::
LOL

Actually, the handbag is huge. Apparently it can fit a regular notebook, in addition to textbooks and a small handbag.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:12 pm

Oh ok the picture just makes it look a bit smaller. But definitely cute. Maybe my mom will take pity on me (aka read this thread) and get me an Air for graduation :D :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:13 pm

Awww.

Isn't a computer included in the budget for your loans? why not use them to buy an air?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:17 pm

Yeah I could use loan money. But then I may feel bad about the purchase because I know I don't really need it. Or I would end up wasting the money on shoes and not feeling bad at all.

All would be solved if me or someone in my family could just when the lottery already.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:02 pm

For those of you that have Chapelier, what style do you use? I am trying to decide between 1024N and 904N. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ludo

New

Post by Ludo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:18 pm

Oh my gosh, I'm so lost in all this bag talk. I was just going to get a North Face backpack. I feel so un-trendy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:26 pm

Just use your old backpack(if you already have one); buy a backpack if you don't. Forget the rollies and suitcases, instead, aggressively use your lockers. That's more or less the modus operandi for most people.

publicservant101

New

Post by publicservant101 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:32 pm

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Thu May 01, 2008 4:10 am

I don't get all this carrying books stuff. No one is going to shun you for having a tote or whatever, but it's completely unnecessary. The only people I see with them are women that come straight from work wearing heels, extremely "unathletic" girls (being nice) and people that generally freak the hell out if something wasn't planned 12 months in advance. I have no idea why you'd need to make such a mountain out of a mole hill. Worst case- leave your afternoon books in your car.

Those drag-alongs look like they are a pain in the ass. They are big and clumsy and a pain on steps or uneven ground. My biggest gripe is when you have to walk past someone with one that already sat down. They take up so much room in the aisle. It always looks like they are having trouble getting through the aisles themselves. Fortunately, they are the type to show up to class 5 min early and sit in the front row. I'm habitually late so I sit way in the back, (where there open seats I can get to without disrupting class). We actually save each other seats in the back row. "Dude, class started 10 min ago- you're still saving the seat?" "he'll be here in 5."

Once a week, I have 4 classes in one day. The rest of the days, I have 1-3. I need to bring my book to class for maybe half.. maybe. Since I ride the bike to class almost every day, I can't leave my books in the car. I bring all my stuff with me. Even my laptop- and it's not a mac book air :shock: It's a whole 5lbs of 15.4" WS dell! the horror, I know.

Most of you are between 22 and 28 years old... it's a 20lb backpack. 25 at most if you have heavy books. My backpack in grade school was way heavier. In fact, I remember my dad weighing it; it was 37 lbs* and he laughed because I was about 75lbs. While law school books are thick, they aren't very big like old-school text books of grade school. There is no reason why someone at this age, less a handicap, shouldn't be able to walk 200 feet with a backpack on. I'm absolutely amazed that people are forking out so much money for a lighter laptop.

I suggest getting a good backpack. Snowboard backpacks sit very well. When I replaced my "normal" backpack with my Dakine backpack, it felt like 1/2 the weight was gone. Also, wearing it correctly. That means two straps and the backpack isn't sagging. Aside from not being cool anymore, its not very comfortable to walk like that.

here is my backpack. mine is black.
http://www.backcountry.com/store/DAK057 ... df_DAK0574
there, problem solved.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Thu May 01, 2008 4:13 am

kiskadee321 wrote:
ks2pa wrote:If you do get a rolly backpack, please get a seat on the edge of a row. If you do end up sitting in the middle of a row, please be on time to class. I can't count the number of times my head has been hit by rolly backpack users trying to get to their seats in the middle of the row.
Law school sounds dangerous.
wait till you get to the parking garage.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu May 01, 2008 10:39 am

I don't think this post is so much about what kind of bag we need but more what kind of totes us girls have tried and liked. I do NOT like carrying a book bag.

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Thu May 01, 2008 11:08 am

A belt strapped around my books.

And shoes only in winter.

jmo7

New

Post by jmo7 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:16 am

non-metal hip flask. you can sneak that into the sporting events even if they have metal detectors.

IStillPlayVideoGames

New

Post by IStillPlayVideoGames » Fri May 02, 2008 8:48 pm

What about desks? What kind of desks should the 1L adorn his (no, not her-boys are better) apartment with?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”