Your Law School Accessories!!! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kktoot

New

Re: Your Law School Accessories!!!

Post by kktoot » Fri May 02, 2008 9:29 pm

I'm someone who like a big flat surface where no piles are necessary and everything-- a laptop, small desk file, and at least three open books at one time are typically on my desk (right now add 4 outlines...). I bought a 6 foot long conference table with legs that fold out (but with no actual fold of the table. It ain't pretty but it does the job- it's solid, large, and deep enough to fit the aforementioned law school necessities.

misterstroma

New

Post by misterstroma » Fri May 02, 2008 10:56 pm

I will get an EEE

--ImageRemoved--

Black I think, since white never scratches well and I intend mine to suffer and survive numerous jostles and coffee rings. They're almost disposable in comparison to other equipment that costs 4 times as much, so much more easily duplicated. Maybe I'll alternate colors and get the white one a year later or after being robbed at gunpoint on the subway, whichever comes first. I am going to hold off until the last minute possible in an attempt to get the latest revision. I think the latest one is the Eee PC 900, I'm hoping the Eee PC Z model or whatever hits by late July. I imagine by August, most of the new obvious bugs will be corrected, and there is always something.

I'd like to get a Mac, but I will be living on a budget for the next few years and every grand counts, you know? OSS is not only peer-reviewed software, it is free. So my goal is to get an Asus Eee and put it into as much usefulness as possible, as cheaply as possible, using OSS wherever possible. I assume that at least one will be stolen, which is extra motivation just to learn to practice such security habits: hardware layers of logins and encryption, etc. I'm pretty sure that at this point I can manage any "Windows-required" application with virtual or emulated machines safely nestled on a custom, secure Unix kernel, and at this point know how to cram even that into well under the 4 G Eees if necessary.

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm

Until I earn it, I'm not buying a new bag, at least unless I lose my current backpack.

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Fri May 02, 2008 11:46 pm

Tumi ftw

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Sat May 03, 2008 12:22 am

IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:What about desks? What kind of desks should the 1L adorn his (no, not her-boys are better) apartment with?

I got a big ass(for an apartment) dining room table and use that. Way better than a normal desk.

simplekin

New

Post by simplekin » Wed May 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Great looking bags (big fan of messenger style) though a little pricey. (Rips of the design and makes the same bag out of duct tape)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Wed May 07, 2008 5:29 pm

Lockers:

Combo lock or Key Lock?

kktoot

New

Post by kktoot » Wed May 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Check-- some schools just give you a key because the lock is built in.

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Thu May 08, 2008 2:50 pm

I have a Chrome Metropolis messenger bag. It's kind of a pain in the ass to take on and off, but it's pretty comfy, and the weatherproofing is nice.

However, for law school I think I might use my Red Oxx C-Ruck bag. It's huge, yet comfortable and not bulky, and has an interior laptop pocket. I can pack it full of enough stuff to last me through a month of travel, so I figure it should meet my carrying needs for class. It also comes in a slightly smaller version.

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

AJ

New

Post by AJ » Wed May 28, 2008 2:51 pm

what do you guys think about this bag...would it be big enough for my books and laptop??

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/P ... riefbag%20

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

M20009

Bronze

Post by M20009 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:24 pm

AJ wrote:what do you guys think about this bag...would it be big enough for my books and laptop??

No better go with this:

--ImageRemoved--

M20009

Bronze

Post by M20009 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:25 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:What about desks? What kind of desks should the 1L adorn his (no, not her-boys are better) apartment with?

I got a big ass(for an apartment) dining room table and use that. Way better than a normal desk.
Rolltop and a dining room table.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Wed May 28, 2008 4:29 pm

M20009 wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:

this is exactly what i'm rolling with this semester.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Wed May 28, 2008 4:35 pm

It must be nice having rich parents.

Let me know if you need me to make you one of these:

Last edited by Da Stain on Wed May 28, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Wed May 28, 2008 4:39 pm

SgtBilko wrote:It must be nice having rich parents.

Let me know if you need me to make you one of these:

exactly who is this comment directed at?

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Wed May 28, 2008 4:45 pm

People who use real tables instead of wood and a sawhorse, and can't spot a joke.

Eriro

New

Post by Eriro » Wed May 28, 2008 4:51 pm

M20009 wrote:
AJ wrote:what do you guys think about this bag...would it be big enough for my books and laptop??

No better go with this:

--ImageRemoved--
TITCR. the table/desk debate becomes irrelevant, b/c you will have all you need with you at all times, and you can just live in the library, using the tables/desks provided for you there.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Wed May 28, 2008 5:00 pm

no picture=no comprende.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:37 am

I looked at one of these in the Tumi store yesterday:

It's pricey, but durable and well made. I thought it might be a tad small, but to be honest, I'm not clear on how often I'll be carrying big law books around. If I get most of my studying done at school and have a locker, I'd probably only rarely have one or two books to port around, right? I'd really hate to pay this much for a bag and discover later that it's too small, but I'd also hate to constantly tote around a bag that's too big. I'm thinking about not buying a bag until after a couple of weeks of school; then I'll have a better idea of what I need.

Palomita

New

Post by Palomita » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:59 am

Swiss Army makes a great laptop backpack-- it keeps it in a protective compartment and has places for your books, etc. I plan on using that.

Don't go rolly backpack-- I want you to have friends! :lol:

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:58 pm

I really don't like man bags. Or murses. Or whatever you want to call them. I definitely prefer for a guy to carry a book bag instead of a purse if at all possible.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:17 pm

I really can't believe you guys haven't exhausted all the possible things there are to say about bags by now!

I will be using backpack w/ laptop compartment + a laptop sleeve just to be safe. I will probably do the splitting the books thing, cause I need to keep my hands free to smoke mah cubanoz while I stroll to class.
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:22 pm

underdawg wrote:I really can't believe you guys haven't exhausted all the possible things there are to say about bags by now!
LOL

...not possible.

M20009

Bronze

Post by M20009 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:19 am

sjkarlina wrote:
M20009 wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:

this is exactly what i'm rolling with this semester.
Only because we live together.

M20009

Bronze

Post by M20009 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:19 am

limegreen wrote:I really don't like man bags. Or murses. Or whatever you want to call them. I definitely prefer for a guy to carry a book bag instead of a purse if at all possible.
I got a green one.

JusAbstinendi

New

Post by JusAbstinendi » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:26 am

I really like some of those leather bags. However, they're pricey and more vulnerable than some of the synthetic materials on the market. I'll probably buy a leather bag after graduating, but since I want a bag that I know can withstand the torment of law school, I bought this:

--ImageRemoved--

Something about ballistic nylon and lifetime warranties makes me smile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”