2L class selection

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Which class?

Fed Courts
Two seminars
Total votes: 6

2L class selection

Postby claireunderwood8 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm struggling to figure out what to take next semester. Background: 2L, law review, v50 biglaw SA coming up this summer. I'm definitely taking white collar crime, professional responsibility, family law and legal research. I need one more class and I'm debating between federal courts, M&A, or cobbling two seminars together (won't have enough credits otherwise). I'm undecided on a practice area, but I liked the M&A section of corps. I originally thought fed courts would be a good choice (and it fills a distribution requirement) but I'm worried that it's going to be excessively competitive and gunner-y to take as a 2L. The two seminars would both be areas I'm interested in… but that would mean two classes instead of one. Thoughts?

Re: 2L class selection

Postby banjo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:19 pm

M&A sounds like the right move since you enjoyed the material and it's a practice area you're considering.

Re: 2L class selection

Postby KD35 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:37 pm

I just think that Fed Courts would be a bad choice as a 2L. It seems (at least at my lower ranked school) to be the real gunner class, and its better to take as a 3L when grades are really not much of a problem. Concur that M&A may be a good choice for you, especially since that gives you some background in it prior to summer if your firm lets you try different areas of interest.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”