Re-taking elective for a better grade

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Frothingslosh

Re-taking elective for a better grade

Postby Frothingslosh » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm a 2L with a SA for next summer and I pretty much bombed one of my finals (3.0). The rest of my grades are fairly consistent, but is there any point to re-taking that class for a higher grade my 3L year? I have my fingers crossed that i'll do well enough to get an offer at my firm the end of the summer (if i don't, i know the 3L job search is gunna suck regardless of grades), but would getting rid of a single crappy grade help me out substantially should I want to lateral at some point in time?

S. Goodman

Re: Re-taking elective for a better grade

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:29 am

Frothingslosh wrote:I'm a 2L with a SA for next summer and I pretty much bombed one of my finals (3.0). The rest of my grades are fairly consistent, but is there any point to re-taking that class for a higher grade my 3L year? I have my fingers crossed that i'll do well enough to get an offer at my firm the end of the summer (if i don't, i know the 3L job search is gunna suck regardless of grades), but would getting rid of a single crappy grade help me out substantially should I want to lateral at some point in time?

When you say you bombed what grade did you get specifically? Also, what was the class? Is the subject matter substantially related to the type of work your firm does? What is your GPA/class standing as of right now with the bad grade? What school do you go to . . . T1, T2, T3, or T4?

I would just forget about it and move on.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:58 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
Frothingslosh wrote:I'm a 2L with a SA for next summer and I pretty much bombed one of my finals (3.0). The rest of my grades are fairly consistent, but is there any point to re-taking that class for a higher grade my 3L year? I have my fingers crossed that i'll do well enough to get an offer at my firm the end of the summer (if i don't, i know the 3L job search is gunna suck regardless of grades), but would getting rid of a single crappy grade help me out substantially should I want to lateral at some point in time?

When you say you bombed what grade did you get specifically? Also, what was the class? Is the subject matter substantially related to the type of work your firm does? What is your GPA/class standing as of right now with the bad grade? What school do you go to . . . T1, T2, T3, or T4?

dude got a B. lol at that being "bombing" a class.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:08 pm

Kratos wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

dude got a B. lol at that being "bombing" a class.

That is what I thought from reading the original post but I wanted to confirm. Getting a B is not bombing . . . wow.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:14 pm

Frothingslosh

Postby Frothingslosh » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:28 am

Yea, median for that particular class is 3.4 and I'm probably being overly paranoid. Just curious about the worthwhileness of taking it again. Judging by the responses though, I'll probably just chalk it up to an "oops" moment.

History_Buff

Postby History_Buff » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:04 am

sublime wrote:It really depends on the scale/ how much they grade inflate.

For example, at my school, a 3.00 is BOMBING and grades below that are rare, but our mean is like a 3.55.

Holy shit that's a ridiculously high curve.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:09 pm

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”