2L scheduling

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MarineLaw

2L scheduling

Postby MarineLaw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:56 am

I have a quick scheduling question I was hoping for some help on.

I started law school as a part-time student, beginning this fall I started going full-time. I have two remaining 1L classes to take this spring semester and I'm having issues trying to figure out how to schedule my remaining 2L classes. Because I was a 1L with exams scheduled multiple days apart, I don't know how insane it is to have multiple exams back-to-back.

Option 1: Tax, Secured Transactions, Con Law, Legal Writing 2 (each exam is separated by 4-5 days; Con law is 2/3 take-home exam 1/3 fill-in-the-blank/short answer in class)
Option 2: Evidence, Employment Discrimination, Con Law, Legal Writing 2 (the final 1/3 of the con law exam ends 2 hours before the employment discrimination exam; the evidence exam is 6 days before the Con Law/ED combo)
Option 3: Tax, Insurance, Con Law, Legal Writing 2 (Insurance is the morning after Con Law)

All con law exams are taken the same day (i.e. I cant switch sections). The ST, evidence, and tax profs are all awesome teachers. Obviously the best exam schedule is option 1, would I be insane to take both ST and tax in the same semester?

chem!

Re: 2L scheduling

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Are you not allowed to reschedule exams? My school's written policy was "no", but it happened quite frequently.

MarineLaw

Postby MarineLaw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:46 pm

Nope--unfortunately not.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Are you sure none of these classes allow for "floating exams?"

At my school most upper level exams are technically scheduled on X day, but in actuality, the professor lets you take it either the entire exam period or at least more than one day. This isn't true for ALL upper courses, but it happened to me a lot.

MarineLaw

Postby MarineLaw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:11 pm

Kay2016 asked a similar question. My school doesn't allow that because of past cheating incidents.

MarineLaw

Postby MarineLaw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Any upperclassman wisdom out there? Would ST and Tax the same semester be totally asinine?

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:41 pm

I don't think Tax and ST is too much. I didn't do it personally, but I did Biz Assns and Tax at the same time, as well as ST at the same time as a specialty tax class. I have had trouble keeping two simultaneous rule-based procedure-heavy classes completely separate when taken simultaneous, but Tax and ST are different enough that you wouldn't have that issue.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”