Visiting a Law School

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thisismyname

Visiting a Law School

Postby thisismyname » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:18 am

What is the benefit of visiting a law school for a semester or a year? I didn't even know that was a thing until I met someone who is visiting my school. Does it look better on a resume? Or is it simply for people who want to take a class not offered at their home school?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Visiting a Law School

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:22 am

The people I know who've done it generally did so for personal reasons - their SO went to the other school/was located in the other school's market, and they wanted the opportunity to network further in that market to help get a job there after graduation.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:25 am

thisismyname wrote:What is the benefit of visiting a law school for a semester or a year? I didn't even know that was a thing until I met someone who is visiting my school. Does it look better on a resume? Or is it simply for people who want to take a class not offered at their home school?

couldnt one of the reasons be that they want to be able to qualify for in-state?

thisismyname

Postby thisismyname » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:50 am

ilikebaseball wrote:
thisismyname wrote:What is the benefit of visiting a law school for a semester or a year? I didn't even know that was a thing until I met someone who is visiting my school. Does it look better on a resume? Or is it simply for people who want to take a class not offered at their home school?

couldnt one of the reasons be that they want to be able to qualify for in-state?

Thanks. I guess there are a lot of personal reasons someone would do this. I just keep thinking that law students generally do things to advance their professional career and thought visiting programs were geared towards that. Not for people with personal reasons. I gambled and went to a T2 school for lower cost banking that I would be top of my class. I got lucky and my planned worked out. So I transferred up my second year after saving money my first to a school with better employment outcomes - especially in the area I want to practice. But I stayed in that area rather than going to a T14 school. I thought it might be interesting to (depending on my grades at the new school) visit a T14. But if there would be no other reason other than feeding my ego, I don't think I could justify giving up the scholly and paying more to do so. As long as I don't screw things up, I landed an SA with a firm that 100% offers. So I don't need that benefit now, but if it helps later on with lateral hires, it could be justifiable to do for a semester.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:05 am

Well, personal as it relates to the professional - in particular, getting a job in a location where you want to be. It's often easier to network productively if you're local, and if you end up wanting to work somewhere other than where you're currently in school, visiting can help. I happen to know of people who've wanted to change regions because of their SO, but I'm sure it happens for other reasons, too. It can help work your way into a particular market.

I don't think going to a T14 just for the sake of having the T14 on your resume accomplishes much - first, your degree will still be from your degree-granting institution, and second, my impression is that getting accepted as a visiting student isn't like getting admitted to begin with or transferring - I suspect HYS and the like want to make sure you can handle their work, but I don't think it's perceived to be prestige-bestowing to get accepted as a visiting student.

Finally, I think most law schools have some kind of residency requirement? So since you transferred, you may not be eligible to spend a third year at yet another school. I'm not 100% sure on this, but it's something to look into.

thisismyname

Postby thisismyname » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:38 am

You're right. There is a 24 month residency requirement. Well, that was a fun 2 hour fantasy. It would have been weird transferring and visiting yet another school anyway. Thanks for the response.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”