Calling all patent law wizards - wet signatures?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
clemsontiger

Calling all patent law wizards - wet signatures?

Postby clemsontiger » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Last time I failed the patent bar, there were 2 or 3 questions relating to when an original handwritten signature is required

I for the life of me cannot figure this shit out.

CFR 1.4
(d)
(1) Handwritten signature. Each piece of correspondence, except as provided in paragraphs (d)(2), (d)(3), (e) and (f) of this section, filed in an application, patent file, or other proceeding in the Office which requires a person’s signature, must:

(i) Be an original, that is, have an original handwritten signature personally signed, in permanent dark ink or its equivalent, by that person; or
(ii) Be a direct or indirect copy, such as a photocopy or facsimile transmission (§ 1.6(d) ), of an original. In the event that a copy of the original is filed, the original should be retained as evidence of authenticity. If a question of authenticity arises, the Office may require submission of the original.

doesn't seem particularly helpful...

(e) The following correspondence must be submitted with an original handwritten signature personally signed in permanent dark ink or its equivalent:

(1) Correspondence requiring a person's signature and relating to registration to practice before the Patent and Trademark Office in patent cases, enrollment and disciplinary investigations, or disciplinary proceedings; and
(2) Payments by credit cards where the payment is not being made via the Office's electronic filing systems

So... only registration to practice before the PTO and credit card payments require original signature?? That doesn't seem right....

I could have sworn from memory that the question asked which documents needed to be submitted with original signature? Is it really none of them?

Thanks for any help...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”