Tuition going to collections question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
splittermcsplit88

Tuition going to collections question

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:53 am

So I was a bit late on my tuition and the school forwarded my account to a collections agency. The letter from the agency states that I have 30 days to dispute the debt, if not, it will be assumed that I owe it. I am planning to pay the entire amount 2 days from now, which is under the 30 day period. But, the school will be closed for the holidays so I am not sure if the agency will even know it is paid off. I asked the financial student account office and a personnel told me that the school told the agency not to report anything to credit bureaus. The personnel also told me that if I pay it off and I remind the school that I did when school starts again, everything will be fine.

I asked: but, if the agency doesn't know that it is paid off and they go in to official collection, what will happen? The personnel said that nothing will happen, all they do is make phone calls and send letters. I am sort of startled by all this and wish I could have gotten the personnel's words in e-mail. What is my best plan of action?

mvp99

Re: Tuition going to collections question

Postby mvp99 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:58 am

?????? what kind of school does this

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:27 pm

mvp99 wrote:?????? what kind of school does this

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:19 am

Uh...how can this happen? Don't most schools make you pay tuition in advance?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”