First Sale Doctrine: Intellectual Property Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
HabeasTortoise

New

First Sale Doctrine: Intellectual Property

Post by HabeasTortoise » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Can anyone lend a hand with this simple question: consumers who buy a copyrighted work lawfully have the exclusive right to dispose of it or resell it. However, how does this apply in the context of an initial release of a book where say a publisher buys 1,000 books but is told not to start selling until a certain date. I have my exam tomorrow and know the teacher said something about this but can't find the answer. Thanks!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Re: First Sale Doctrine: Intellectual Property

Post by Desert Fox » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:18 pm

HabeasTortoise wrote:Can anyone lend a hand with this simple question: consumers who buy a copyrighted work lawfully have the exclusive right to dispose of it or resell it. However, how does this apply in the context of an initial release of a book where say a publisher buys 1,000 books but is told not to start selling until a certain date. I have my exam tomorrow and know the teacher said something about this but can't find the answer. Thanks!
It's probably a breach of contract issue.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:22 pm

Yeah, depends on if acquisition in breach of contract to which you were not actually aware is unlawful, under 17 USC § 109(a). I'd probably say no, because your purchase was not unlawful, but likely depends on how the publisher/retailer contract is structured and on substantive contract law.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:49 am

Desert Fox wrote:
HabeasTortoise wrote:Can anyone lend a hand with this simple question: consumers who buy a copyrighted work lawfully have the exclusive right to dispose of it or resell it. However, how does this apply in the context of an initial release of a book where say a publisher buys 1,000 books but is told not to start selling until a certain date. I have my exam tomorrow and know the teacher said something about this but can't find the answer. Thanks!
It's probably a breach of contract issue.
Yes, it can be a contract issue, but OP sounds more interested in whether the author has a cause of action for copyright infringement.

Answer will hinge on whether the publisher is a licensee or owner of the copies of the copyrighted work. See Vernor v. Autodesk, 621 F.3d 1102 (CAFC '10).

postard

Bronze

Post by postard » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:14 pm

Yeah, pretty sure that hypo is drawn from that Hunt for Red October case that showed up in my contracts textbook.

HabeasTortoise

New

Post by HabeasTortoise » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks so much guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”