Best Patent Bar Prep Materials?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Arad

Best Patent Bar Prep Materials?

Postby Arad » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:55 pm

I plan studying for the patent bar prior to starting law school and I was hoping that someone who has taken it recently can chime in on recommended study materials that won't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks in advance.

GOATlawman

Re: Best Patent Bar Prep Materials?

Postby GOATlawman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:02 pm

PLI is the gold standard. I think its somewhere between $1500-2000 for a student. Not sure if that is an arm and a leg.

OTOH, there is a wealth of self study materials if you want to stay real cheap. Look up the Bullseye outline. Get one of the binders that PLI sends with its online classes, it has all of the same shit. Hell, PM and I'll sell you mine. Also there's a few websites out there that have compiled past questions, look into those.

Arad

Postby Arad » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Has anyone had any success using the Bullseye prep?

GOATlawman

Postby GOATlawman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Just what I know about it... That's the one that's like $50 or some shit right? IIRC, it's pretty much just a basic outline, but it goes well with self-study. But also as far as I know it hasn't been updated at all for the AIA, which is constantly being added to the test in higher proportion

Really though, as long as you don't have any kind of drop-dead deadline, there's no reason not to just give self study a shot. No penalty for failure. You can get at least two tests in per approval the PTO. If you added up all the costs, you could probably take the test like 7 or 8 times before the fees reached the cost of a prep course. If you fail horribly after the first take, you can still go get the prep course if you want and you're really not out very much

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:19 pm

I used PRG's (Patent Resources Group) course. It's more expensive, but I think that I got more patent drafting/prosecution practice tips from that course than I would have from PLI. I might be in the minority of people who look for that in a course, though. Most want the test in spood-fed format so that they can pass, which is understandable.

GOATlawman

Postby GOATlawman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:23 pm

Dr. Review wrote:I used PRG's (Patent Resources Group) course. It's more expensive, but I think that I got more patent drafting/prosecution practice tips from that course than I would have from PLI. I might be in the minority of people who look for that in a course, though. Most want the test in spood-fed format so that they can pass, which is understandable.

Does PRG have all the latest materials?

When I was comparing quite a while back, PLI was the only one that had the latest materials (AIA, treaties, CFR, etc). They made a point about pointing out things that were outdated in the MPEP, and without being explicitly told of those sections, IDK how the hell else you would possibly know

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:49 pm

GOATlawman wrote:
Dr. Review wrote:I used PRG's (Patent Resources Group) course. It's more expensive, but I think that I got more patent drafting/prosecution practice tips from that course than I would have from PLI. I might be in the minority of people who look for that in a course, though. Most want the test in spood-fed format so that they can pass, which is understandable.

Does PRG have all the latest materials?

When I was comparing quite a while back, PLI was the only one that had the latest materials (AIA, treaties, CFR, etc). They made a point about pointing out things that were outdated in the MPEP, and without being explicitly told of those sections, IDK how the hell else you would possibly know

I took it pre-AIA, so I am not sure, but their website says
We continually monitor USPTO announcements and notify you of substantive announcements and keep our materials up-to-date as you prepare for the exam, including continually adding new questions to our data bank of exam questions in ExamWare®.

dat209

Postby dat209 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:03 am

I took Wysebridge, which has mixed reviews, and passed on my first attempt this summer (August). My main reason for going with that program was the price ($300-400). That program basically contains all information that is freely available already, but helps structure some stuff for you. A lot of their outlines and things have typos, but these are minimal and do not really affect the actual content that you need to learn / know.

The test has changed since when I took it, but probably about 75% of the questions I had were word-for-word repeats off of previous questions that I had already completed. Also, the amount of AIA material was minimal (probably about 10% of the questions).

Patent2014

Postby Patent2014 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:37 pm

I used OmniPrep
Last edited by Patent2014 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arad

Postby Arad » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:18 pm

Thanks for the advice guys! I just submitted my app, so hopefully I get approved and can get the ball rolling

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:00 am

Arad wrote:Thanks for the advice guys! I just submitted my app, so hopefully I get approved and can get the ball rolling

I can't remember how clear this was on the application, but once you're approved, you only have 90 days to take the exam, so I'd definitely start studying even before you've gotten the approval back.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”