Report exam cheating to professor?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
encore1101
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby encore1101 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:58 pm

sublime wrote:
As has been mentioned several times it is extremely unlikely that what any one person does will actually affect another



I don't believe that, nor do I think it justifies remaining silent. In a curved class, such as most 1L classes, it could very well mean the difference between a 3.7 and a 3.3 in a 4-credit course. Certainly, as the number of credits increases, it doesn't mean as much, but it's still something that they're getting unfairly and undeservedly at the expense of someone else.

I also don't agree with the whole "They'll get their comeuppance when they fail the bar or turd an assignment!" Neither of those are guaranteed to happen any moreso than the possibility of bumping someone down out of an interview or out of a scholarship range.

ETA: also, even in just OP's example, it wasn't one, but two people cheating. Even if one or two people won't make any substantial difference (which I still disagree with), that's assuming that it's only one or two people. If you saw everybody in your class cheating but you, would you report that?
Last edited by encore1101 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15417
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby sublime » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:01 pm

..

User avatar
FKASunny
Posts: 3904
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 am

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby FKASunny » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:05 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
Kratos wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:Yeah, I didn't study with peers specifically so that there was no chance I'd somehow improve their odds of outdoing me.

I pray this was a joke


Yeah, the real reason is I just was not a study group person / social learner. Not helping peers do better than me was more of a tangential benefit I realized after-the-fact. I didn't invent the curve, I just killed it.

New personal motto

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1395
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:09 pm

FKASunny wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:
Kratos wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:Yeah, I didn't study with peers specifically so that there was no chance I'd somehow improve their odds of outdoing me.

I pray this was a joke


Yeah, the real reason is I just was not a study group person / social learner. Not helping peers do better than me was more of a tangential benefit I realized after-the-fact. I didn't invent the curve, I just killed it.

New personal motto


I knew it was a winner as soon as I wrote it. I feel sexy.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:26 pm

encore1101 wrote:
sublime wrote:
As has been mentioned several times it is extremely unlikely that what any one person does will actually affect another



I don't believe that, nor do I think it justifies remaining silent. In a curved class, such as most 1L classes, it could very well mean the difference between a 3.7 and a 3.3 in a 4-credit course. Certainly, as the number of credits increases, it doesn't mean as much, but it's still something that they're getting unfairly and undeservedly at the expense of someone else.

I also don't agree with the whole "They'll get their comeuppance when they fail the bar or turd an assignment!" Neither of those are guaranteed to happen any moreso than the possibility of bumping someone down out of an interview or out of a scholarship range.

ETA: also, even in just OP's example, it wasn't one, but two people cheating. Even if one or two people won't make any substantial difference (which I still disagree with), that's assuming that it's only one or two people. If you saw everybody in your class cheating but you, would you report that?


you sound so lame. this striver shit cracks me up.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:09 pm

No opinion either way on report vs. not report, BUT

if you do report something, you better be damn sure you're not wrong about what was going on. If you throw some classmates under the academic bus and you're wrong, you're going to look like/feel like a total douche.

GOATlawman
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby GOATlawman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:17 am

prezidentv8 wrote:If you throw some classmates under the academic busand you're wrong, you're going to look like/feel like a total douche.

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby guinness1547 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:30 am

I think there are three acceptable options, depending on how much you like or dislike the cheaters.

1. Do nothing, but give them a ton of shit for being mentally weak.

2. Observe their cheating and spread malicious rumors about their testing and sexual habits. "I heard she cheated because she couldn't concentrate on studying after finding out about the super herpes."

3. Turn them in and watch their lives crumble, because fuck them for taking the last bagel that one time at the free school breakfast.

User avatar
CicerBRo
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby CicerBRo » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:55 pm

God, law students make me sad.

It's the holidays. There are bigger problems in the world. Report 'em or don't report 'em; who cares. I know TLS is for posting about this sort of stuff, but sheesh.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:06 pm

GOATlawman wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:If you throw some classmates under the academic busand you're wrong, you're going to look like/feel like a total douche.

fair

HardCider
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby HardCider » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:37 pm

Can a MOD lock this thread please?

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby sparty99 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:21 pm

HardCider wrote:Can a MOD lock this thread please?


No. You made your bed and now you must sleep in it.

User avatar
FuturePanhandler
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby FuturePanhandler » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:31 pm

HardCider wrote:Can a MOD lock this thread please?


:lol:

What a loser.

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:28 pm

It really comes down to whether you know someone was cheating.

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby jdmonkey » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:46 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:I'd be interested to know where the "don't snitch" folks draw the line. You see someone smoking weed in public, do you snitch? (I'd guess probably not). You bear witness to a murder, do you snitch? (I'd hope so).

So where does the line get drawn? Is it totally arbitrary? If so, I'd say this isn't much of a principle to be premising an argument on.


The line is drawn where people get hurt. Nobody is impacted by someone else smoking weed...especially outside. However if you witness a murder there is actually a victim, and presumably a public safety threat with the killer on the loose, so you should report. However there are rational reasons not to report a murder... if the killer is part of a violent street gang I could see why someone wouldn't want to come forward as their testimony could be their own death sentence.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby fats provolone » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:46 pm

I'd consider most law students public safety threats. but maybe not the ones cheating on exams

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Postby AReasonableMan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:11 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:I'd be interested to know where the "don't snitch" folks draw the line. You see someone smoking weed in public, do you snitch? (I'd guess probably not). You bear witness to a murder, do you snitch? (I'd hope so).

So where does the line get drawn? Is it totally arbitrary? If so, I'd say this isn't much of a principle to be premising an argument on.


The line is drawn where people get hurt. Nobody is impacted by someone else smoking weed...especially outside. However if you witness a murder there is actually a victim, and presumably a public safety threat with the killer on the loose, so you should report. However there are rational reasons not to report a murder... if the killer is part of a violent street gang I could see why someone wouldn't want to come forward as their testimony could be their own death sentence.

But haven't you seen Reefer Madness? Smoking weed could turn a peaceful murder into a psychopathic killer! So it's the same end result!!




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests