Report exam cheating to professor? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
HardCider

New

Report exam cheating to professor?

Post by HardCider » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:45 pm

I saw two ladies (at least one of whom is on law review) cheating fairly aggressively on an exam today.

This was a multiple choice, scantron exam that was very tough. By all appearances, they were sharing their answers. I can't be 100% because I was too busy with my own exam, but I'm 95% certain and the proctors eventually moved one of them without me even saying anything (although I made my opinion clear to the proctors after the exam).

Do they automatically tell the professor? Are the exams flagged for closer review? Does that charge just fall to the side?

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: Report exam cheating to professor?

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:51 pm

If you're gonna report it, it seems more like a dean of students thing. I would avoid going to the prof.

logdog

Bronze

Post by logdog » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Considering the fact that it's their job, I would expect them to notify the prof and the exams to be more closely reviewed. Hopefully they get reamed for that shit. I had a classmate who hid an outline in the bathroom for every exam and occasionally pulled out his phone during the exam. It really pissed me off, but I told myself it would catch up to him eventually. Well, you can't cheat on the bar. He failed.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:52 pm

You're probably obligated to report by your honor code, but I also suspect that the proper person to report it to is the dean of student affairs, not the professor.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Yes, report them, and the Dean of Students is probably the place to go. Granted idk what school you're at so I can't comment on your prospects specifically, but with this job market their cheating could be the difference between you getting a job and paying the bills or going hungry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:32 pm

If the proctors don't report it to somebody, I don't know why your school has proctors at all. Idk what your honor code says but know that reporting it could lead to a lot of irritation for you; I've know students who made reports like this that were dragged into multiple disciplinary hearings to repeat what they saw to various administrators. They were never in any trouble themselves, but making that report led to hours of time wasted dealing with the school for someone else's misconduct.

If you feel strongly about reporting it, or are obligated to make the report by your honor code, go ahead and tell the dean of students or whoever is responsible for honor code violations.

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:11 am

You absolutely need to report it. Be specific about what you saw. If you don't tell anyone (and I don't think the proctors will necessarily report if they think they solved the problem) then you're potentially allowing two people to hurt the grades of everyone in the class.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:58 am

First question: does your school have an "honor code" that requires you to report this kind of stuff? A: probably yes.

Second question: does anyone know that you observed this? A: yeah, the proctors you talked to afterward.

Conclusion: depending on the answer to #1, you're probably obligated to report at this juncture.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Yeah man, I don't waby to get panic attacks for maybe forgetting to cite something so these jerks can pretend like there are no consequences. We gotta self regulate such crap. I mean most exams are open book anyway

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:37 pm

GOATlawman

Bronze

Post by GOATlawman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:19 pm

If you do report it you better hope no one ever finds out you did

Gotallanswers

Bronze

Post by Gotallanswers » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:51 pm

Was it the crim pro exam? Nvm it couldn't be since that exam started at 1

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:56 pm

sublime wrote:I probably wouldn't report it, myself.

But like mentioned above, now that you saw, and the proctors know you saw, you probably have to at least send an email to the dean of students to protect yourself from a violation.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:01 pm

Hey could you PM me the school?
Last edited by mvp99 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:03 pm

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:11 pm

jesus no. why do you care what other ppl do

wouldn't have even told the proctor in the first place

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:14 pm

jbagelboy wrote:jesus no. why do you care what other ppl do

I would care if its curved. Fuck em.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:16 pm

mvp99 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:jesus no. why do you care what other ppl do

I would care if its curved. Fuck em.
that's so type b dude

idk, I mean I get it, but if they are sad enough to cheat in law school then they are fucked somewhere else in life. I've seen numerous people do sketchy shit on exams and never said or done anything about it because it's not my business

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:21 pm

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:23 pm

sublime wrote:Yea, my policy is usually what they do is on them. I didn't see shit, I'm not saying shit, I don't know shit.
I guess I make fun of those people with friends but its harmless

GOATlawman

Bronze

Post by GOATlawman » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:01 am

To the people being all "Snitch or else!!" have you always been like that? Like even in high school where 95%+ of everyone cheats? Or did you develop that character trait at some point (during law school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:26 am

GOATlawman wrote:To the people being all "Snitch or else!!" have you always been like that? Like even in high school where 95%+ of everyone cheats? Or did you develop that character trait at some point (during law school?
It's not about snitching, it's about doing the right thing and having integrity. There is a difference between right and wrong and actions do (or at least should) have consequences. Plus, I'm not in the situation but if people in my class were cheating I see that as them trying to take food out of my mouth, which does make it my business.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:33 am

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:55 am

GOATlawman wrote:To the people being all "Snitch or else!!" have you always been like that? Like even in high school where 95%+ of everyone cheats? Or did you develop that character trait at some point (during law school?

Right, because high school and law school are comparable in terms of what's at stake and difficulty. Get real.

Seriously, fuck that noise. I worked my ass off in law school to get good grades. I see no reason why I, or anyone, should accommodate others who want to take shortcuts, and don't want to put in the time or the effort to do things the right way. Especially if the class is curved, why the fuck should you help them out when doing so hurts you?

To all the people who are like "omg snitch!!" Is it that important what other people think of you? Why shouldn't you report it? Because you still live in the playground mentality of no tattling?

"Oh, but I'm smart enough that I'll still get a job and do better than them!" Okay, sure you will. But there are others that won't, who've put in the honest time and effort to study and work hard. Aren't they more deserving than two cheaters of getting that job or graduating with honors? Apparently not, in some people's eyes.

Y'know, I know its cheesy as shit, but fuck it. Integrity is what you do when nobody's looking.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:11 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”