So pretty much don't check, edit for grammar, italicize, etc

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Actus Reus

Re: So pretty much don't check, edit for grammar, italicize, etc

Postby Actus Reus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:45 pm

Did you do exams in word? We had to use some damn software that locked the computer and didn't save any text files on our harddrive just the file in some propietary format.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:Hey DF, NU specifically says that keeping any exams after grades are released, nvm sharing those exams, is a violation of the honor code. You, sir, are unethical and unhonorable. Though loved the read, especially that crim answer. I have all mine, too, and I cringe when I reread them.

Then they should probably read the Honor Code cause it doesn't say shit about that.

We got an email from Kadens last year.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I really don't think you should share an answer to an exam you took this semester and haven't got a grade on yet. Some schools have restrictions on sharing exam questions.

And no, spellcheck/grammar check are not required, unless your spelling/grammar are so bad that your prof can't understand you. Now, if you and someone else with impeccable spelling/grammar get basically the identical points, some profs will reward the good writing. Mostly if profs are going to grade significantly on writing (rather than just content) they will tell you ahead of time, though.

Edit: RC Fail.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:35 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:This got me an A

Code: Select all

[wall of text]
Muder
[wall of text]

Ah, yes, Muder, the most serious of crimes.

Especially in a soritiy

girlrunning

Postby girlrunning » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:54 pm

Agree with everyone on grammar/editing, just popped in to comment regarding italicizing/bolding/underlining. I had a really old prof. 1L year who apparently (I learned this from the 2L/3Ls) really liked people to obnoxiously mark issues/facts/etc. through italics/bolding/underlining.

I quickly learned that most exam programs accept standard keyboard shortcuts, so if you feel like you have to use them for whatever reason, don't waste your time highlighting. I've only used this in other exams to underline things like "Question #" or bold issues "1. Defamation . . . 2. Intrusion Upon the Seclusion" and only because I'm organizationally OCD.

GOATlawman

Postby GOATlawman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:39 am

girlrunning wrote:Agree with everyone on grammar/editing, just popped in to comment regarding italicizing/bolding/underlining. I had a really old prof. 1L year who apparently (I learned this from the 2L/3Ls) really liked people to obnoxiously mark issues/facts/etc. through italics/bolding/underlining.

I quickly learned that most exam programs accept standard keyboard shortcuts, so if you feel like you have to use them for whatever reason, don't waste your time highlighting. I've only used this in other exams to underline things like "Question #" or bold issues "1. Defamation . . . 2. Intrusion Upon the Seclusion" and only because I'm organizationally OCD.

yea, some profs definitely give points just for having a nice organized and underlined section heading. You should easily know if your prof is one of them and then these are easy points to get

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:This got me an A

This was awesome. I don't think any of my essay exams were ever that good.

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:42 pm

This thread is making my day. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”