Is Civ Pro essentially a race to a word count?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Re: Is Civ Pro essentially a race to a word count?

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
Kratos wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:If you are going to the TOC and that sort of shit, you'll get your shit pushed in on exams.

This really isn't true

i used my outline for every single question on every single exam and did really well 1L. memorized next to nothing but knew where to find stuff in outline.

Contect the toc is the toc of his supplements.

But even with outline you have to pretty familiar with everything to spot issues.

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:20 pm

No, that would be torts.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
Kratos wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:If you are going to the TOC and that sort of shit, you'll get your shit pushed in on exams.

This really isn't true

i used my outline for every single question on every single exam and did really well 1L. memorized next to nothing but knew where to find stuff in outline.

Contect the toc is the toc of his supplements.

But even with outline you have to pretty familiar with everything to spot issues.

Once you get the basics some people can recognize shadyness.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:50 am

Stringer6 wrote:
Kratos wrote:

This really isn't true

Was really well #1?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:03 am

lol

i didn't purposely memorize shit either. obv i remembered quite a bit from making the outline but i used my outlines a lot during the exams.

i think i was only #2 though. #1 probably memorized.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:13 am

fats provolone wrote:lol

i didn't purposely memorize shit either. obv i remembered quite a bit from making the outline but i used my outlines a lot during the exams.

i think i was only #2 though. #1 probably memorized.

Some people remember certain information naturally. My memory is generally terrible, but holy shit were law school exams my thing, and holy shit can I remember analysis from case law. I can't remember names of people I've met five times (being a faces person is a real thing), or where I left my hat, or that I promised x I would y at z, but goddamn ask me to verbally distinguish opposing counsel's case and I'll recall every single fact from the three cases I cited in opposition and remember the cases my cases cited in support. On exams I could visually recall the pages from the case book that related to the issue I was dealing with, literally picture how the words on the page were laid out, where they appeared on the page. It wasn't intentional. It's kind of always been my thing. You play the cards you're dealt in life.

My only point is the world is full of nut bags, prepare accordingly.

And I've decided I like OP. Earnest naïveté. I've been there.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:44 am

OP is a dick bag. He thinks he won law school and is just posting about exams to confirm his conclusion

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:04 pm

FKASunny wrote:OP is a dick bag. He thinks he won law school and is just posting about exams to confirm his conclusion
. I'm not sure, after he reads the responses to his threads, that he still feels that way.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:04 pm

I have this problem that I just can't produce exam answers of decent length; averaging slightly above 3000 words on practices and on exam days for 3 hour tests. Maybe I'm spending too much time trying to organize sentences and faffing around with other non-essentials. I'll know in January if this really does set a ceiling on what grades I can get.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:28 pm

I personally never type all that much, and I do fine. I might have hit 4000 words once.

I believe professors are looking for you to hit (what they consider to be) the high points, organize it well so they can see that you hit the high points, and not add too much fluff that will yield you no additional points.

FYI, at this point in my LS career, most of my profs have been applying word limits. I can't remember all of them, but the most recent ones, or the ones for which I have a copy of the exam instructions still, were:

1900 words total for three essay questions (40% of exam grade on 3 hour exam)
1800 words total for three essay questions (50% of exam grade on 3 hour exam)
1550 words total for six essay questions (100% of exam grade on 4 hour exam)
1600 words for one essay question (50% of exam grade on 3 hour exam) (1L)

As you can see, those word limits basically anticipate a pace (if you're going to hit the limit) of about 1600, 1200, 400, and 1100 words per hour. (Obviously there's an outlier there). Their instructions also all stated that many good exams would not hit the word limit.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”