Multiple Choice Practice Problems & Not Repeating Mistakes

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Multiple Choice Practice Problems & Not Repeating Mistakes

Postby AGS1989 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:32 pm

First time poster, 2L at T2. Quick question about studying habits and how to improve my multiple choice taking ability

When reviewing multiple choice question and I get a question in correct, I understand what I did wrong immediately after I read the correct answer. However, later on in the multiple choice series, when the circumstances change, I fall for the same mistake, despite knowing the law, I make the same mistake basically from the change in circumstance.

Is my method of review incorrect? Do I need to change my mindset and understand what leads me to the incorrect choice? Am I overthinking some of these questions? Closer reading? Memorize more exceptions to rules?

Thank you for any help!

Re: Multiple Choice Practice Problems & Not Repeating Mistakes

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:58 pm

Be more proactive. Don't just review the wrong answer and say "ah, I see, of course," and then try more. Instead, be honest with yourself about what it is about that subject you actually don't understand, then go back to your outline and review the subject of the question again. If you have to go back to the class source material to gain better understanding, do it. It's not enough to just review wrong questions by seeing what the right answer was, then tell yourself "oh, I know this," because no, you obviously don't. That's not teaching you anything. You have to re-study the subject matter, and maybe even update your outline on that specific nuance because there was something about that question you just don't get. Good luck - there isn't any magic formula, you just gotta work hard to shore up your weaknesses.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”