(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Linen Walnut

Postby Linen Walnut » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Last edited by Linen Walnut on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheNextAmendment

Re: Federal Income Tax--where to begin?

Postby TheNextAmendment » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Linen Walnut wrote:I have my Federal Income Tax exam in less than three weeks. I've done all the readings in the book, but didn't pay much attention during class or to the readings from the tax code. A friend sent me his class notes (it's about 180 pages) and I just ordered the E&E.

What's the best plan of attack? Where do I even begin? Normally I would just outline the entire class from start to finish, but tax seems different because it's all math.

Read the E&E front to back and then make a roadmap. Click my profile and look at my past recent posts. There are 4-5 that talk about federal income taxation. Or PM me. I love tax law and am leaning that way. 2L at CCN if it helps.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:07 pm

I am also in a similar position. Ive tried all semester, but just dont have a firm handle. I have 600 page e and e and a 350 page emmanuels, and about 200 pages of reallly good outlines. I obviously cant do all of these, so I have to pick soon. A previous student suggested the emmanuels, and it doesnt seem bad at all.

bnghle234

Postby bnghle234 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:38 pm

In the same boat. To me, tax just seems like a bunch of random rules. It's hard to actually remember anything, so what I end up doing is just looking up the rule in my outline and applying it. This takes forever though, and I'm pretty sure I'd completely run out of time on an exam if I did this. Any tips?

OutoftheWoods

Postby OutoftheWoods » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:22 pm

bnghle234 wrote:In the same boat. To me, tax just seems like a bunch of random rules. It's hard to actually remember anything, so what I end up doing is just looking up the rule in my outline and applying it. This takes forever though, and I'm pretty sure I'd completely run out of time on an exam if I did this. Any tips?

honestly, that's what i'm planning on doing and i think that's the RIGHT approach. its impossible to memorize every little detail, but if you know the basic concepts (difference between below the line deductions and above the line deductions, capital gain in 1(h) which is easily the hardest thing, how transfers of property are taxed with debt, foot, etc.), its very easy just to glance at your outline and apply it pretty quickly.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”