1L considering dropping out..

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shouldacouldawoulda

Re: 1L considering dropping out..

Postby shouldacouldawoulda » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:09 am

sparty99 wrote:
Saurus wrote:I dropped out of law school a few years ago (lower ranked T1) and I did exactly what you are contemplating (I dropped out of law school towards the end of my first year, right before finals). I haven't even been on this forum since 2011, but once I saw this post, I felt I had to say something.

Like you, I had the realization of "wanting to quit" about halfway through the second semester. In hindsight, I should have quit as soon as that realization occurred, but oh well. As you said, hindsight is 20/20. Whether or not you take your finals seems a bit irrelevant; it sounds like law is not of great interest to you, so there is no point pursuing it further when considering the expense and poor job prospects (unless you have a killer class rank now...in which case I would say go for it). Of course, as previously mentioned, there might be a good strategy in taking finals just to continue the loans if you will need to support yourself...but in either case, I don't think you should finish law school.

Also, like you (our stories are eerily similar), I graduated from a solid undergrad with a business degree. However, once I quit law school, I found that the job search was extremely difficult. I think this was largely due to the fact that I was basically "starting from scratch." I did not have true access to a career center, on campus recruiting, etc.

As a result, I went back to school (yup, more debt) in something with more solid job prospects. I am currently pursuing my post-bac in Petroleum Engineering at a state school, and I have to say it's one of the best decisions I have ever made. I've had 3 internships (including major E&P and service companies) not including the one lined up for this summer, and they have all paid at least $30/hr. I know, that's not as much as being a summer associate somewhere, but there was no way in hell I was going to get that with my law grades.

I will have close to 80,000 in debt when I graduate school, but I will have a job that pays 80,000 annually (the company I am working for this summer said they will hire me upon graduation). Not exactly a "lavish lifestyle, but it's not terrible by any means.

So, here is my advice. Quit law school, and get a post-bac in Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering (maybe not Petroleum Engineering, due to the current state of the oil and gas job market). You may not be passionate about it, but dude, that's totally ok. Many successful people got their first jobs not because they were passionate, but because they needed money. No shame in that game.

The engineering curriculum is challenging, but it's so much easier to face that successfully when you know you'll have better job options. Graduating from undergrad with a technical major and a good GPA will provide you with multiple career opportunities, whether that is consulting, finance, or even oil and gas (if/when the market turns around). It will also provide you with more debt...but in my humble opinion, that's worth it.

I know this is very specific advice, but I truly believe it is a great path for someone who is not quite sure where they want to go in life (as I was).

Um, no. If this dude doesn't even want to be a lawyer, how does he know he wants to be an engineer. He needs to work. Now. It's not that hard to get any entry level paying job whether it is working for Enterprise Rent-A-Car or being a car salesman. Dude needs to work. Not go back to school and get more debt.

Appreciate the perspective Saurus. Sparty99 - as I've said, I'm not looking for validation. I know its easy to tell feeble minded gutless bitches like myself that no one gives a fuck and to get off the board, but believe it or not, there are other 1L's struggling with similar issues. However, I do agree with you that I'm not going to go back to college. I'm going to pound the pavement and get a job. I have better work experience in my area of emphasis than most that I graduated with and I am only 5 months removed from graduating. I also have some connections to tap into. And worst case scenario, if it takes me a few months to find a job I won't be living on the streets because I can live with my gf or my empty nester parents.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:17 am

Saurus wrote:I dropped out of law school a few years ago (lower ranked T1) and I did exactly what you are contemplating (I dropped out of law school towards the end of my first year, right before finals). I haven't even been on this forum since 2011, but once I saw this post, I felt I had to say something.

Like you, I had the realization of "wanting to quit" about halfway through the second semester. In hindsight, I should have quit as soon as that realization occurred, but oh well. As you said, hindsight is 20/20. Whether or not you take your finals seems a bit irrelevant; it sounds like law is not of great interest to you, so there is no point pursuing it further when considering the expense and poor job prospects (unless you have a killer class rank now...in which case I would say go for it). Of course, as previously mentioned, there might be a good strategy in taking finals just to continue the loans if you will need to support yourself...but in either case, I don't think you should finish law school.

Also, like you (our stories are eerily similar), I graduated from a solid undergrad with a business degree. However, once I quit law school, I found that the job search was extremely difficult. I think this was largely due to the fact that I was basically "starting from scratch." I did not have true access to a career center, on campus recruiting, etc.

As a result, I went back to school (yup, more debt) in something with more solid job prospects. I am currently pursuing my post-bac in Petroleum Engineering at a state school, and I have to say it's one of the best decisions I have ever made. I've had 3 internships (including major E&P and service companies) not including the one lined up for this summer, and they have all paid at least $30/hr. I know, that's not as much as being a summer associate somewhere, but there was no way in hell I was going to get that with my law grades.

I will have close to 80,000 in debt when I graduate school, but I will have a job that pays 80,000 annually (the company I am working for this summer said they will hire me upon graduation). Not exactly a "lavish lifestyle, but it's not terrible by any means.

So, here is my advice. Quit law school, and get a post-bac in Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering (maybe not Petroleum Engineering, due to the current state of the oil and gas job market). You may not be passionate about it, but dude, that's totally ok. Many successful people got their first jobs not because they were passionate, but because they needed money. No shame in that game.

The engineering curriculum is challenging, but it's so much easier to face that successfully when you know you'll have better job options. Graduating from undergrad with a technical major and a good GPA will provide you with multiple career opportunities, whether that is consulting, finance, or even oil and gas (if/when the market turns around). It will also provide you with more debt...but in my humble opinion, that's worth it.

I know this is very specific advice, but I truly believe it is a great path for someone who is not quite sure where they want to go in life (as I was).

You have to be smart to do electrical engineering in a way that has little overlap with law school or the LSAT. No way to know if they're cut out for it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:24 am

shouldacouldawoulda wrote:
Appreciate the perspective Saurus. Sparty99 - as I've said, I'm not looking for validation. I know its easy to tell feeble minded gutless bitches like myself that no one gives a fuck and to get off the board, but believe it or not, there are other 1L's struggling with similar issues. However, I do agree with you that I'm not going to go back to college. I'm going to pound the pavement and get a job. I have better work experience in my area of emphasis than most that I graduated with and I am only 5 months removed from graduating. I also have some connections to tap into. And worst case scenario, if it takes me a few months to find a job I won't be living on the streets because I can live with my gf or my empty nester parents.

If you are dead set on not wanting to be a lawyer, and are going to drop out of school regardless of whether you nail your exams or not, then I would focus on updating your resume, sending out applications and moving on. You will have to drop out of law school now ( or else end up with a string of F's) and may need to talk to admissions to inform them of your plans ( so you don't get F's) and will have to being repaying your loans in May, but I dont think going back to school just to figure out what you want to do is for you.

Best of luck

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Keep studying! You will be fine. These boards are filled with smart, but overly-cynical and sarcastic twenty-sumthins. We have no idea what is best for you. But, one thing we do know from what you have told us is that you are in law school and have exams in a few weeks. Study hard, see how you do, and re-evaluate from there. Best of luck!

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Not trying your best because you're not sure you want to be a lawyer, but staying in law school for another semester because it's easier than starting over would be the worst possible decision. You either have to affirmatively drop out or try your best for the next month, and see how it shakes out with the intent to drop out if you're not in at least the top quarter. My advise to try hard is predicated on the logic that you already suffered the cost (this semester's tuition and cost of living) so the only rational thing to do is try to reap the reward (making yourself employable with great grades).

eriedoctrine

Postby eriedoctrine » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:15 pm

OP, if you want something more hands on and related to helping people other than law, you should consider med school. The employment market practicing medicine is quite robust. You may need to take a Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program beforehand.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”