Check out top-law-schools.com Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FSK

Platinum

The Gunner in my 2L Class Just Gave the Prof an Ovation

Post by FSK » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:26 pm

During the last class. He was the only one. whyyyyyy.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mephistopheles

Gold

Re: The Gunner in my 2L Class Just Gave the Prof an Ovation

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:31 pm

no other clapping, or no other standing?

crucial detail

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:33 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:During the last class. He was the only one. whyyyyyy.
Was it corporations? That class is, at least here, surprisingly gunnery. Basically half the class doesn't go, and the other half is all up on the professor's d.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:33 pm

I was the only person to blow the janitor on the last day of 3L classes. I felt he contributed as much to my wellbeing as many profs, and got a lot less appreciation. I thanked him the best way I knew how.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:34 pm

bjsesq wrote:I was the only person to blow the janitor on the last day of 3L classes. I felt he contributed as much to my wellbeing as many profs, and got a lot less appreciation. I thanked him the best way I knew how.

bj, esq makes so much more sense on so many levels now

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:37 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I was the only person to blow the janitor on the last day of 3L classes. I felt he contributed as much to my wellbeing as many profs, and got a lot less appreciation. I thanked him the best way I knew how.

bj, esq makes so much more sense on so many levels now
Wait, you just realized that?

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:38 pm

"blowing janitors, esquire" was a new read in

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:39 pm

mephistopheles wrote:"blowing janitors, esquire" was a new read in
that's fair

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:40 pm

I don't even remember what BJS meant before Boo Jersey Shore.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:49 pm

Yeah, I don't get the ovations. In the majority of my classes, the teaching was awful. By virtue of the fact that professors almost never have to answer advanced questions in class, almost any recently graduated attorney could teach CivPro or Torts by staying one day ahead of the material with the help of their bar prep book. I've had elementary school teachers that deserve far more praise for the job they've done than a lot of law school professors. This probably sounds like some sort of Napoleon complex, but I'll give professors credit where it's due: They are usually way smarter than me, and far, far, far more accomplished than I will ever be. They're still not the greatest teachers, so the applause at the end of the class does little more than just tell them how successful they are, without speaking much at all to wisdom they've imparted upon students.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:38 pm

I just assume everyone claps in a "thank god this is over" kind of way.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Tanicius wrote:Yeah, I don't get the ovations. In the majority of my classes, the teaching was awful. By virtue of the fact that professors almost never have to answer advanced questions in class, almost any recently graduated attorney could teach CivPro or Torts by staying one day ahead of the material with the help of their bar prep book. I've had elementary school teachers that deserve far more praise for the job they've done than a lot of law school professors. This probably sounds like some sort of Napoleon complex, but I'll give professors credit where it's due: They are usually way smarter than me, and far, far, far more accomplished than I will ever be. They're still not the greatest teachers, so the applause at the end of the class does little more than just tell them how successful they are, without speaking much at all to wisdom they've imparted upon students.
But do you join in the applause?

True story, there were one or two dudes in my class that didn't clap. And a few of the worst people ever went off on how disrespectful and against long standing tradition, and how cool the tradition of applauding was, blah blah blah

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Kratos wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Yeah, I don't get the ovations. In the majority of my classes, the teaching was awful. By virtue of the fact that professors almost never have to answer advanced questions in class, almost any recently graduated attorney could teach CivPro or Torts by staying one day ahead of the material with the help of their bar prep book. I've had elementary school teachers that deserve far more praise for the job they've done than a lot of law school professors. This probably sounds like some sort of Napoleon complex, but I'll give professors credit where it's due: They are usually way smarter than me, and far, far, far more accomplished than I will ever be. They're still not the greatest teachers, so the applause at the end of the class does little more than just tell them how successful they are, without speaking much at all to wisdom they've imparted upon students.

True story, there were one or two dudes in my class that didn't clap. And a few of the worst people ever went off on how disrespectful and against long standing tradition, and how cool the tradition of applauding was, blah blah blah
I mean yeah I'd stand up and clap if the entire goddamn class was also doing it, for precisely that reason.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:59 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I just assume everyone claps in a "thank god this is over" kind of way.
I felt like it was more a sense of self congratulations, like "I'm going to clap for this person because it makes me feel better about being a student of someone who is so important that I would clap for the professor. People elsewhere don't have professors that are so important you have to clap for them."

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:59 pm

It was antitrust. The rest of the class clapped politely. It was honestly a great class, but man.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:01 pm

applauding is so much fun though. like just in general. I'm not gonna turn down a chance to clap

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:02 pm

fats provolone wrote:applauding is so much fun though. like just in general. I'm not gonna turn down a chance to clap
Same. I also love going to sports bars. Not really a huge sports fan or much of a drinker, but fuck, I love slappin 5.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:04 pm

bjsesq wrote:
fats provolone wrote:applauding is so much fun though. like just in general. I'm not gonna turn down a chance to clap
Same. I also love going to sports bars. Not really a huge sports fan or much of a drinker, but fuck, I love slappin 5.

even today, when the fist bump is often proffered instead?

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:05 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Boo, this security guard totally ripped off your moves.[youtube]1jdTbx_1sV4[/youtube]
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I just assume everyone claps in a "thank god this is over" kind of way.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Kratos wrote:

I mean yeah I'd stand up and clap if the entire goddamn class was also doing it, for precisely that reason.
Nah it was way more worth it to hear the absurd indignation from the douchey students.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:22 pm

Does this guy think he's in The Paperchase or something?

GOATlawman

Bronze

Post by GOATlawman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:52 am

Young Marino wrote:Does this guy think he's in The Paperchase or something?
never seen it, worth a watch?

only place I have ever heard it mentioned is TLS

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:03 am

GOATlawman wrote:
Young Marino wrote:Does this guy think he's in The Paperchase or something?
never seen it, worth a watch?

only place I have ever heard it mentioned is TLS
Yes. It's a good reminder that a lot of the criticism about law schools isn't really new (book was written in 1970). From IMBD:
Susan Fields: You're going to pass, because you're the kind the law school wants. You'll get your little diploma. Your piece of paper that's no different than this [toilet paper roll]

Susan Fields: and you can stick it in your silver box with all the other paper in your life. Your birth certificate, driver's license, marriage license, your stock certificates, and your will...

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:11 am

Paper chase is great, robot pimp.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”