Contracts is killing me

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Young Marino

Contracts is killing me

Postby Young Marino » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:36 pm

So I'm stressing out over contracts. I have a pretty good understanding on formation ( offer, acceptance, consideration) along with a few other things like promissory estoppel, parole evidence and third parties but I'm struggling with breach and I'm REALLY struggling with damages. I feel a bit better about breach after reading the E&E chapter on it and started reading the chapter on damages but I'm still lost. I missed a week of class about a month ago due to illness and haven't really understood the material of that week (breach and damages). My prof is a nice guy but he confuses me more than teaches me when I go to him. What do you guys suggest doing?

hephaestus

Re: Contracts is killing me

Postby hephaestus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:48 pm

What casebook? It may be time for another supplement - you can only read the damages/breach parts.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:50 pm

i didn't really understand contracts until barbri

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:36 pm

I thought Chirelstein had a good section on damages. I don't know what you mean by breach--like perfect tender vs. substantial performance? Maybe I'm just forgetting.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:35 am

fats provolone wrote:i didn't really understand contracts until barbri

Did you do the multiple choice questions? I do barbri for crim and its helpful.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:04 am

Young Marino wrote:So I'm stressing out over contracts. I have a pretty good understanding on formation ( offer, acceptance, consideration) along with a few other things like promissory estoppel, parole evidence and third parties but I'm struggling with breach and I'm REALLY struggling with damages. I feel a bit better about breach after reading the E&E chapter on it and started reading the chapter on damages but I'm still lost. I missed a week of class about a month ago due to illness and haven't really understood the material of that week (breach and damages). My prof is a nice guy but he confuses me more than teaches me when I go to him. What do you guys suggest doing?

You have free Westlaw, no? Secondary sources on Ks. Or read the restatement and the comments, then read the UCC and the comments. You should be able to find some kind of practitioners' treatise, though. Those are often the best.

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:23 pm

Do you have some outlines from other people? Also, go read some model answers to exams and see how damages etc. etc. were analyzed

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:46 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
Young Marino wrote:So I'm stressing out over contracts. I have a pretty good understanding on formation ( offer, acceptance, consideration) along with a few other things like promissory estoppel, parole evidence and third parties but I'm struggling with breach and I'm REALLY struggling with damages. I feel a bit better about breach after reading the E&E chapter on it and started reading the chapter on damages but I'm still lost. I missed a week of class about a month ago due to illness and haven't really understood the material of that week (breach and damages). My prof is a nice guy but he confuses me more than teaches me when I go to him. What do you guys suggest doing?

You have free Westlaw, no? Secondary sources on Ks. Or read the restatement and the comments, then read the UCC and the comments. You should be able to find some kind of practitioners' treatise, though. Those are often the best.

The above if you want to teach it to yourself. Or you could (1) find a couple 2Ls that got As in Contracts, (2) get their outlines, (3) profit.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:29 pm

get the sum and substance audio and listen to it on a loop.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:14 am

So far I've been hammering out the E&E and doing the multiple choice questions on Barbri. Pretty helpful. I feel I'm in a much better spot than I was a few days ago.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”