How to start outlining

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TheoO

How to start outlining

Postby TheoO » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:51 pm

It may sounds pretty simple, but I'm wondering how people here started going about the process of assorting all of the notes, briefs, information, etc., that they have accumulated up to now to start up an outline? I feel like I'm kind of confused even though it seems so intuitive.

Kratos

Re: How to start outlining

Postby Kratos » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Several ways, its pretty easy. 1) look at old outlines and structure yours similarly. 2) go through the syllabus and split up an outline the same as the syllabus is structured. go through the notes for each subject. Classes usually just go in order so just burn through. My first outline was always way too long. Then go back through and condense. The whole point here is that you have now gone back through your notes at least twice, hopefully synthesizing the information again as you did.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:40 am

quoting myself from another thread.
BVest wrote:
It takes some time, especially as you start out. Personally I only looked at other outlines where my notes were unclear or incomplete. Otherwise it was mainly condensing and reorganizing my notes such that it made sense.

The easiest way to start is to go through and put down all of your large sections for the entire semester (even though you clearly won't be outlining some of these until later. These can come from the syllabus, or even the TOC of your casebook, if you're going through it in order. e.g. My K II syllabus looked like this:

Code: Select all

I.   Statute of Frauds
         [reading pages deleted]

II.   Damages Under the Uniform Commercial Code

A.   Buyer's Damages

B.   Seller's Damages

. . .

Format that in the style you want for your outline and, hey presto, you've got the bare bones of an outline. Once you've got that, you can figure out where your condensing/reorganizing of notes should go.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Protip - your case book table of contents IS AN OUTLINE. Just type it up in the order you studied it, and go from there.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”