List of the Current Supplements Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tuhaybey

New

List of the Current Supplements

Post by tuhaybey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:03 am

When I was in law school, I found it annoying to try to figure out what study supplements I ought to be using and I didn't really get it all down until I was a 2L, which is probably after the time they're most useful. So, I put together a website listing off which ones I found most useful and with links to the current versions. Hope it is helpful to somebody!

List of all supplements

Things to read before you start law school

List of law school study supplements for your 1L year

Any suggestions or things I should add are most welcome! I intend to try to keep it up to date as new editions come out.
Last edited by tuhaybey on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msx3

New

Re: List of the Current Supplements

Post by msx3 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:11 am

Feels more like advertising than general help, considering all three of your posts have been about your blog and buying supplements.

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:19 am

msx3 wrote:Feels more like advertising than general help, considering all three of your posts have been about your blog and buying supplements.
I mean, I just put the site together and want to get the word out. If nobody sees it, it isn't very useful. I know when I was in school, I wished I had a list like that handy, and judging from all the posts on here from people looking for supplements, I don't think that is just me... If you aren't looking for a list of supplements, don't go there, because that's what it is :)

Sheriff

Bronze

Post by Sheriff » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:25 am

tuhaybey wrote:
msx3 wrote:Feels more like advertising than general help, considering all three of your posts have been about your blog and buying supplements.
I mean, I just put the site together and want to get the word out. If nobody sees it, it isn't very useful. I know when I was in school, I wished I had a list like that handy, and judging from all the posts on here from people looking for supplements, I don't think that is just me... If you aren't looking for a list of supplements, don't go there, because that's what it is :)
In your opinion, at what point in the semester should we begin to read supplements, and how should we use them - specifically?

Especially wondering where people find the time to read an entirely different series of textbooks.

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:35 am

Sheriff wrote:In your opinion, at what point in the semester should we begin to read supplements, and how should we use them - specifically?

Especially wondering where people find the time to read an entirely different series of textbooks.
IMO, in your 1L year, you should aim to read all the sections of the applicable E&E that your class covered, and answer all the short questions in them early enough that you have time to do a bunch of full length practice tests after you finish. At the latest, that means starting on Thanksgiving break, but really you'd probably be less stressed out if you started a bit earlier....

If you have a midterm, I would aim to read the E&E sections corresponding to what you covered thus far before the midterm.

You might also consider getting the Nutshells and reading the chapter that corresponds to whatever you're covering in class each week before class. I didn't personally do that, but some people I know did and said it really helped. Maybe pull that strategy out if you are struggling a bit (and we all struggle in at least some of the classes), but definitely do the E&Es and practice tests. Especially your first semester.

As for timing, the E&E's are actually pretty quick to read. Much quicker than reading cases. It is still a big investment of your time, but that's just how law school is I'm afraid. Your sunk costs are so high already that you might as well push it through. You kind of get into it after a bit and, disturbingly, can even enjoy it once you get used to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oorang

New

Post by oorang » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:14 am

Good list for 1Ls. Thank you for posting it.

I have a question though: what do you recommend for practice tests? Just the ones my professor posts?

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:49 am

For 1L Con Law, Chemerinsky HAS to be on there. It's a legendary supplement that even professors use.

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

banjo wrote:For 1L Con Law, Chemerinsky HAS to be on there. It's a legendary supplement that even professors use.
Hmm, I generally haven't put treatises on there. Is it your stance that I ought to put just that one on there or that I should put treatises on there in general?

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:06 pm

tuhaybey wrote:
banjo wrote:For 1L Con Law, Chemerinsky HAS to be on there. It's a legendary supplement that even professors use.
Hmm, I generally haven't put treatises on there. Is it your stance that I ought to put just that one on there or that I should put treatises on there in general?
Generally, I think the list should include any materials that are widely recommended as supplements.

For now, I would probably just put that one treatise on there and see what else people suggest. There are definitely others that people use (but I'm not as familiar with) like Dressler for Criminal Law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:01 pm

oorang wrote:Good list for 1Ls. Thank you for posting it.

I have a question though: what do you recommend for practice tests? Just the ones my professor posts?
Thanks!

Practice tests your professors give you are definitely the best option, but I usually had to find some on the Internet too. There is a thread here that has links to practice tests.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:05 pm

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:55 am

sublime wrote:IMO:

K's: Chirelstein

Torts: Glannon

Civ Pro: Freer (and def do the lectures on Barbri)

Property: Sprankling

Crim: Dressler

Con: Chemerinsky.

Tests: Getting to Maybe.

Depending on what your prof covers, probably should get the new versions of Con and Civ Pro. Probably alright with a version back for the others.
Awesome. Thank you both for your suggestions. I have added them all to the big long list on the home page. However, I personally don't know that 1Ls need to actually buy and read the entire treatises, so for now, I've left them off the page with specific recommendations for 1Ls. I had suggested that they just cover sections they thought they needed extra detail on with the library's copy. But, I made a poll to see what others think- http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=238641

If the majority recommend buying them, I'll add them to the 1L recommendations page.

Oh, side note- you recommended Glannon for Torts. Do you mean the E&E or his book of multiple choice questions? I already have the E&E on there and the Lexis book of multiple choice questions.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:04 pm

Chemerinsky, Federal Jurisdiction, is by far the best supplement I've ever used. For Federal Courts it has to be included. The E&E for that class is not bad but so many questions in that class are policy driven and come down to 5-4 decisions...in that way it's kind of hard agree with some of the conclusions the author reaches. Chemerinsky is the way to go.

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:32 am

sublime wrote:Sorry, I meant the E & E written by Glannon for torts. The Glannon Guide isn't bad, but is probably unnecessary, especially if you have the E & E. I read/skimmed both, but that was prob overkill.
Ah, yeah, ok. Agreed. I already recommended that one.

Nat Sherman

New

Post by Nat Sherman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:38 am

Fuck me. Been looking high and wide for a good supplement for one of my classes. Bought one, don't really like it. Your list has one written by my professor, so thank you for this list.

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:19 pm

timmyd wrote:Chemerinsky, Federal Jurisdiction, is by far the best supplement I've ever used. For Federal Courts it has to be included. The E&E for that class is not bad but so many questions in that class are policy driven and come down to 5-4 decisions...in that way it's kind of hard agree with some of the conclusions the author reaches. Chemerinsky is the way to go.
Good suggestion. I have added it to the list for 2Ls/3Ls and the home page. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:48 am

Nat Sherman wrote:Fuck me. Been looking high and wide for a good supplement for one of my classes. Bought one, don't really like it. Your list has one written by my professor, so thank you for this list.
Yeah, there is one on there by my former prof too. She didn't mention it in class, but it was basically a guide for the exam. Always google your prof!

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:48 pm

Ok, finally, as promised, I have added the treatises/hornbooks/supplements. I called them "hornbooks" this time :)

http://lawbooklist.com/1L-books-to-get- ... school.php

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:54 am

Website wrote:Moreover, it is easier to learn the material in the casebooks if you read multiple sources that go over the same material in slightly different ways.
True.

Thanks again for making this. For Employment Law, the E&E on employment discrimination is pretty good for Title VII/ADA/ADEA. Some Employment Law courses don't cover discrimination, though, so the 2Ls/3Ls should probably check the syllabus first (I know this is a lot to ask of a 2L/3L). The nutshell doesn't cover discrimination, but it's otherwise fantastic.

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:43 pm

banjo wrote:Thanks again for making this.
Thanks! My pleasure!
banjo wrote:For Employment Law, the E&E on employment discrimination is pretty good for Title VII/ADA/ADEA. Some Employment Law courses don't cover discrimination, though, so the 2Ls/3Ls should probably check the syllabus first (I know this is a lot to ask of a 2L/3L). The nutshell doesn't cover discrimination, but it's otherwise fantastic.
Good tip. I added it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:50 pm

This is not a book or anything, but I take a supplement called "I Focus" which simulates the effects of adderall (albeit for a shorter period of time) and is completely legal for non ADD users. Costs like 35 bucks for 60 pills. Was essential to LSAT studying. Might wanna look into it and give it a try because it really is helpful.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:07 pm

Someone on TLS recommended Getting To Maybe

Getting To Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams https://www.amazon.com/dp/0890897603/re ... Qub06SRN8H

I bought it but have not yet read it.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

postard

Bronze

Post by postard » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:45 pm

I liked Daniel Crane for Antitrust.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”