Junior associate existential crisis?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
biglawbust

Junior associate existential crisis?

Postby biglawbust » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:08 am

Title might be slightly hyperbolic, but I'm a junior associate and hate my job. I'm starting to think it's not just biglaw, but most office jobs. The thought of spending 2/3 of my waking hours over the next 40 years sitting at a desk in a little office clicking a mouse and typing is making me depressed. The work is mundane and boring. Without trying to sound like an "entitled mellenial," I just wish there was more than this. More than 40 years of paperwork. It's very unfulfilling. But I look around and everyone seems happy to spend all day in a box without windows clicking away. Am I the only one?
Last edited by biglawbust on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Actus Reus

Re: Junior associate existential crisis?

Postby Actus Reus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:33 am

biglawbust wrote:Title might be slightly hyperbolic, but I'm a junior associate and hate my job. I'm starting to think it's not just biglaw, but most office jobs. The thought of spending 2/3 of my waking hours over the next 40 years sitting at a desk in a little office clicking a mouse and typing is making me depressed. The work is mundane and boring. Without trying to sound like an "entitled mellenial," I just wish there was more than this. More than 40 years of paperwork. It's very unfulfilling. But I look around and everyone seems happy to spend all day in a box clicking away. Am I the only one?

Not having windows is why firm selection is so important.

Everyone talks about prestige. Amenities are the real difference maker.

iliketurtles123

Postby iliketurtles123 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:41 am

Not working in the legal field yet but I worked before law school. When I started, I absolutely hated it. I too was very depressed about the idea of slaving away for most of your life. And I didn't even hate my job either. Just the idea of getting out of work and having only a few hours of free time was depressing.

I think this is something almost everyone goes through, and not just in law. Obviously it's worse in the legal field since you're working almost double what everyone else is.

After about a year, I finally came to terms with it. I imagine it might take a bit longer in the legal field.
Helps if you have a lot of great amenities and coworkers. I imagine that's why fit is so important in the interview process.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:49 am

iliketurtles123 wrote:Not working in the legal field yet but I worked before law school. When I started, I absolutely hated it. I too was very depressed about the idea of slaving away for most of your life. And I didn't even hate my job either. Just the idea of getting out of work and having only a few hours of free time was depressing.

I think this is something almost everyone goes through, and not just in law. Obviously it's worse in the legal field since you're working almost double what everyone else is.

After about a year, I finally came to terms with it. I imagine it might take a bit longer in the legal field.
Helps if you have a lot of great amenities and coworkers. I imagine that's why fit is so important in the interview process.

+999

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:32 am

Take the money you earn and use it to do things you actually like

You are not ur fuckkn khakis

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:39 am

lol @ TLS. "If only you had picked a firm that was a better fit with good amenities, then you wouldn't feel this way!" lol

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:46 am

Cogburn87 wrote:lol @ TLS. "If only you had picked a firm that was a better fit with good amenities, then you wouldn't feel this way!" lol

(woosh)

But more seriously: yes, there are plenty of people who hate sitting in a box on a computer all day, and plenty who don't mind it. Many of the ones who hate it either don't go into law to start with, or leave it for something else. The ones who do decide that the benefits of the high-paid job/experience/whatever outweighs that tedium. (My sister, who's been out of college for 15+ years, has held an office job for less than a year of that time. She doesn't make any money, but she loves what she does and has a great life. But she doesn't make any money.)

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:49 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Cogburn87 wrote:lol @ TLS. "If only you had picked a firm that was a better fit with good amenities, then you wouldn't feel this way!" lol

(woosh)

Not really

Actus Reus wrote:Everyone talks about prestige. Amenities are the real difference maker.

iliketurtles123 wrote:Helps if you have a lot of great amenities and coworkers. I imagine that's why fit is so important in the interview process.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:52 am

Cogburn87 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

(woosh)

Not really

Actus Reus wrote:Everyone talks about prestige. Amenities are the real difference maker.

iliketurtles123 wrote:Helps if you have a lot of great amenities and coworkers. I imagine that's why fit is so important in the interview process.

I'm pretty sure Actus Reus was being sarcastic.

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:53 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Cogburn87 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

(woosh)

Not really

I'm pretty sure Actus Reus was being sarcastic.

You've described my mens rea.

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:54 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I'm pretty sure Actus Reus was being sarcastic.

Fair enough. Not familiar with the poster. Pretty sure turtles was not.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:55 am

To be fair to iliketurtles, she (?I think) wrote a bit more than just "cop great amenities, bro." I think she's right about the adjustment to office work for a lot of people.

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:59 am

In all seriousness, the small things do make a big difference (sharing an office, comfy chair, nice view)

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:07 am

Actus Reus wrote:In all seriousness, the small things do make a big difference (sharing an office, comfy chair, nice view)

This is very true. I WANT A WINDOW GODDAMMIT. (sigh)

wildcatatpenn

Postby wildcatatpenn » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:In all seriousness, the small things do make a big difference (sharing an office, comfy chair, nice view)

wtf? is there such thing as a biglaw firm sticking lawyers in interior offices??? I don't think any firm I ever CBed at, or my summer firm, did this to attys.
New York thing maybe? Only market I didn't really consider..

Johann

Postby Johann » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:46 pm

stop thinking about the future so much. just go into work tomorrow and do tomorrow. bank some money. reassess later.

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:53 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:stop thinking about the future so much. just go into work tomorrow and do tomorrow. bank some money. reassess later.

*says the 2L who studies night after night for 12 hours*

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:54 pm

wildcatatpenn wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

wtf? is there such thing as a biglaw firm sticking lawyers in interior offices??? I don't think any firm I ever CBed at, or my summer firm, did this to attys.

Not at a firm. (Though I think some people have mentioned interior offices in NY?)

Johann

Postby Johann » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:00 am

Actus Reus wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:stop thinking about the future so much. just go into work tomorrow and do tomorrow. bank some money. reassess later.

*says the 2L who studies night after night for 12 hours*

i work. i have a tendency to overthink things like the OP. when i dont think about things as often i am much happier and the months fly by quicker. i think its genuinely good advice.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:25 pm

It may feel like a futile situation you are trapped in (windows do make it better though), you still have options. You can choose to stick in the little box and click away, but know that all your needs are well taken care of outside the box (when you do get out), or you can leave the box and have to wonder how to pay for anything. Or there is a third option where you can live well without being trapped, but I think everyone is looking for that, so must be fairly scarce. But there is a choice, and you have to learn to live with your choices.

Just as an aside: interior offices are TTT and depressing. My view makes up for a lot of stuff I give up, it would actually be tough without it.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:34 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
wildcatatpenn wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Not at a firm. (Though I think some people have mentioned interior offices in NY?)

There are interior offices in New York. And guess who gets them.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”